PDA

View Full Version : Best sock value.

Stir Fry
03-16-2008, 12:59
I just wanted to let every one know about the best sock value there is. I just replaced mine again 4th time. Bas Pro has Red Head all-purpose Hunting/ Hiking Socks with a Life Time Guarantee this includes normal wear. They are 88% Merino Lambs wool 10% Nylon 2% Spandex. Heels and toes are reinforced. Cost is around $ 10 a pair. My longest single trip was about 88 miles, and I had no problems I have been using the same three pairs for 4 years. Return is as easy as picking up new socks and exchanging them at the counter.

Summit
03-16-2008, 16:02
I just ordered three pair of Thorlo KXs (hiker/thick). Got them from, of all places, Public Safety Leaders dot com. $34 for three pair and no shipping charge.

Figured it's time to replace my 17 year old Thorlos, even though they seem to still be fine. I'll let them retire to around the house use . . . see if I can wear a hole in them around the house without shoes. That's a testimony in itself! ;)

That sounds like a pretty good way to go on the Bass Pro Shop Red Head socks. Problem for me is, there isn't a store close by.

Tobit
03-16-2008, 20:56
I like the DeFeet WoolEators (http://www.defeet.com/products/product.php?a=socks&b=40&c=36) for $10.

margo
03-17-2008, 11:41
I just ordered some smartwools that were on sale for 7 bucks from campmor, one of their light adrenylin models.

I've noticed a big differance between differant styles of the same brand. In other words, if you've tried one type of wigwam or thorlo sock and it sucked, it doesn't mean the whole brand sucks.

17 years is pretty impressive! I have a couple pair of thorlos but they are heavy wt ones that only get worn every now and then. I got a differant style of thorlos on sale, just one pair, that are heavily padded on the bottom but thin on the top. They don't work well in my boots but are awesome slippers. They are probably discontinued, I wish I had another pair.

JAK
03-17-2008, 11:52
Just an update on the merino wool dress socks I bought at Sears. They are cheap at $4 or whatever they were, and light at 1oz per pair. They are a nice weight, and I can get more days wear out of them than anything synthetic or anything thicker. On the down side I did wear out a hole at one toe, which I often do with thin socks, so they do require more darning than smartwool etc. If I recall they are 85% merino wool, 13% nylon, 2% spandex. So I say keep an eye out for wool dress socks, 80% wool or better.

Pony
03-17-2008, 13:04
I went to Bass Pro on Saturday and got the rest of my gear including three pair of the readhead socks and two pairs of Columbia Trail Meister shoes @ $39 a pair. Glad to know the socks hold up well. I can't believe the cost of socks, some were on sale at almost $20 a pair.

Blissful
03-17-2008, 13:29
I went to Bass Pro on Saturday and got the rest of my gear including three pair of the readhead socks and two pairs of Columbia Trail Meister shoes @ $39 a pair. Glad to know the socks hold up well. I can't believe the cost of socks, some were on sale at almost $20 a pair.

Hope you went one size larger on your shoes. Feet swell.

Pony
03-17-2008, 13:52
Hope you went one size larger on your shoes. Feet swell.

I never thought about that. At least if they don't work out, they were cheap to begin with.

hopefulhiker
03-17-2008, 15:54
In Stateville, NC, just off I77, there is a Thorlo outlet that sells Thorlo irregular hiking socks for about five dollars each.. They last a long time. I think this is the best deal on hiking socks...

KevinAce
03-17-2008, 16:54
I got some "SmartWool" socks off of REI and love them. They range anywhere from $15 to $20 per pair though.

http://www.rei.com/search?vcat=REI_SEARCH&query=smartwool&x=0&y=0

saimyoji
03-17-2008, 16:56
foxriver socks at $7 a pair lasted me only about 50 miles. save your money.

jrwiesz
03-17-2008, 17:19
Best price for a good sock.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=160414

Worth a look, I've used them for three or four years now. Currently have 6 pairs coming. My son and I both use them for everyday, work, hiking, etc.:sun

saimyoji
03-17-2008, 17:31
got a couple pairs of wyoming wear fleece slipper socks last xmas. can't really recommend them either.

love my brand-less merino wool socks though.

take-a-knee
03-18-2008, 00:52
Sherpas go barefoot.

Stir Fry
03-18-2008, 00:56
Not on the AT

mixinmaster
03-18-2008, 04:34
Not on the ATTyvek did. Was a sight to see.

Stir Fry
03-18-2008, 04:36
Tyvek did. Was a sight to see.

Has his feet healed yet.