PDA

View Full Version : Location of Thru-Hikers at the End of June???

Todd Heyn
03-16-2008, 13:08
Just wondering where the wave of thru-hikers will be at the end of June and early July? I will be hiking the NJ section between June 28th and July 6th and was guessing that the timing will be about right.

Will the bubble be north of NJ at that point or still in PA?

Just curious.

emerald
03-16-2008, 13:28
They're more spread out than they were years ago due to hikers beginning earlier at Springer. Where exactly the "pack" can be found and it's density at the time you ask no doubt varies somewhat from year to year.

Not many who ultimately reach Katahdin would be south of Harpers Ferry and I'm sure you'll meet some in New Jersey. Others will already have become 2000 milers.

rafe
03-16-2008, 13:41
In very general terms -- since most hikers are starting on or before April 1... most nobo thru-hikers are 3 or 3.5 months into a 5 or 6-month trip. Which puts them somewhere in PA/NJ/NY/CT. I've met nobo thrus in NY/CT in late June, in VT early August.

Historically, Trail Days (mid-May) was timed for the wave of nobo thrus in southern VA. But with hikers starting earlier, I suspect lots of them will hitch south for the celebration.

rcli4
03-16-2008, 14:07
I intend on being in the Whites SOBO June 3 :>))

Clyde