PDA

View Full Version : "Fastpack" tents?

Scrapes
03-16-2008, 16:08
Hello everyone, I've been lurking for some time, and have generally found answers to most of my questions. I really appreciate all the wisdom you all share. My question does any one "fastpack" their tent? Just using the ground sheet, poles, and fly? I could cut about 3 pounds doing it. I have a Sierra Design tent, that they claim is made to do it. I'm heading to Suches and hiking to Amicalola in April, look forward to seeing all you nobos. thanks ankh

aaroniguana
03-16-2008, 16:15
Check my gallery. My first hiking shelter was just the fly from an old Eureka, a tyvek floor, my hiking poles and some spectra. Dog and I spent several nights in it both in NEVA and SoMD. So long as it's below 60 or breezy, no bug problems.

Toolshed
03-16-2008, 17:52
Hello everyone, I've been lurking for some time, and have generally found answers to most of my questions. I really appreciate all the wisdom you all share. My question does any one "fastpack" their tent? Just using the ground sheet, poles, and fly? I could cut about 3 pounds doing it. I have a Sierra Design tent, that they claim is made to do it. I'm heading to Suches and hiking to Amicalola in April, look forward to seeing all you nobos. thanks ankh
I've done it with my SD Clip FLashlight. I don't really think there is enough protection from windblown rain when it is set up in this mode, so I usually just bring the full setup Tent, Fly and groundcloth.

rafe
03-16-2008, 19:50
"Fastpack" weight is for double-walled tents; it's the weight of the fly and the poles to support it, without the inner tent. You don't get much protection from the elements that way.

bigcranky
03-16-2008, 20:47
If you are willing to use just the fly and poles, then you are effectively using a tarp -- often a heavy, complicated tarp that can be set up only one way. You have all the downsides of a tarp -- insects, need for very careful site selection, etc., with few of the advantages.

A flat silnylon tarp of about 8x10 feet is more flexible, provides more pitch options, better views, and much more covered area than any fast-pack setup I've seen, and it weighs less than a pound. And sleeps two people. And dries almost instantly. And uses your trekking poles instead of additional tent poles. (Or string it between two trees, or pick up some branches at your campsite.) You can pick up a good 8x10 sil tarp for about $100.

Other tarpers like a square tarp of about 9x9 or 10x10 feet, because it adds the "batwing" pitch, which provides excellent storm worthiness, and cuts the wind in winter camping. I have used both, and settled on a modified 6x10-foot tarp for solo camping year-round.

fiddlehead
03-16-2008, 22:28
One of the guys on our Pyrenees hike in '99 did just that.
The trail was a lot tougher than we had thought and we all ended up sending gear to a town near the end of the hike to lighten our load.
2 of us used a mega-mid but the 3rd guy used a tadpole and he ended up sending the tent ahead. Worked great. but the tent was set up so that you could do it: had velcro fastening loops inside the fly that hooked on to the poles. He saved at least a pound and a half this way. It rained a lot on that hike but he stayed dry.
I have pictures of that hike and am working on a video for youtube but it is not ready yet.

Alligator
03-16-2008, 22:38
I have a SD that I could do it with but I just use an 8X10 silnylon tarp instead.

Two Speed
03-17-2008, 17:55
Gonna echo those folks who aren't real impressed with the whole "Fastpack" thing. I've got the Fastpack footprint for my SD Lightyear. Set it up in the backyard, wasn't real impressed and haven't pulled the footprint out since.

Personally I suspect the Fastpack concept is more about selling more backpackers one more piece of gear than anything else. Could be wrong, but that's my take.

Mags
03-17-2008, 18:15
Personally I suspect the Fastpack concept is more about selling more backpackers one more piece of gear than anything else. Could be wrong, but that's my take.

Personally I think "fastpacking" is more a marketing term at this point than anything as well.

Thrasher
03-17-2008, 23:16
I think the fastpack tent is a nice option, but probably not the best for a thru hike. I saw someone that did the approach trail and stayed at springer mtn. overnight. He had his fastpack tent with the footprint. He also had his dog. He told me that his dog can crawl under and get in easier and also since there is not an inside tent, his dog can't get it all dirty. Seemed like a good thing if the weather is going to be good, and for a night or two, but for longer trips I'd bring the whole tent. A tarp is much lighter, or something from six moon designs where you can use your trekking poles instead of tent poles. I like the fast pack option though.

dessertrat
03-17-2008, 23:20
I don't use a groundcloth, and if I left the inside tent at home, I would need to take one. It doesn't seem like that much weight savings when you look at it that way. Also, if you use the tent you can stargaze and pull the fly over if it rains, but not with "fastpacking". Doesn't sound like a winning option to me when the bugs start coming in and the rain is coming in sideways.

Scrapes
03-18-2008, 12:48
Thanks everyone. I think I'll keep an eye on the weather before I make a decision. The fly leaves a 4" gap, and as my astute 14 year old pointed out, "ha your gonna get wet", chuckled and walked away, thanks. It would save 3 pounds or so, but I have cut down elsewhere, pack, stove, etc. This going lite thing is definitely a process. I'm psyched about a chance to hike Ga! ankh

quasarr
03-18-2008, 13:19
As others have suggested, why not try a tarp? The fastpack setup that you are considering is similar to a tarp but heavier and not as versatile. And no, you will not get wet in a tarp if you use it properly!

It's a good idea to get some experience using a tarp before you leave, but there's still time! check out these websites to see if tarps are for you

http://hikinghq.net/gear/tarp.html (http://hikinghq.net/gear/tarp.html)

http://members.tripod.com/halbertri/tarps.htm

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/support/max_ul_tent.asp - this one is from the Six Moons company, but their advice is good for any tarp or tarp-tent

Johnny Swank
03-18-2008, 13:22
If you are willing to use just the fly and poles, then you are effectively using a tarp -- often a heavy, complicated tarp that can be set up only one way. You have all the downsides of a tarp -- insects, need for very careful site selection, etc., with few of the advantages.

A flat silnylon tarp of about 8x10 feet is more flexible, provides more pitch options, better views, and much more covered area than any fast-pack setup I've seen, and it weighs less than a pound. And sleeps two people. And dries almost instantly. And uses your trekking poles instead of additional tent poles. (Or string it between two trees, or pick up some branches at your campsite.) You can pick up a good 8x10 sil tarp for about $100.

Other tarpers like a square tarp of about 9x9 or 10x10 feet, because it adds the "batwing" pitch, which provides excellent storm worthiness, and cuts the wind in winter camping. I have used both, and settled on a modified 6x10-foot tarp for solo camping year-round.

I was going to say the same thing. My wife has a tent that does the fastpack thing, but I'd much, much rather just carry an 8x10 tarp. It has far more protection, and I find it much easier to use. Granted, I've probably set tarps up 100's of times, so YMMV.

booney_1
03-18-2008, 16:11
I also have a sierra designs clip flashlight that I use on a lot of weekend trips in "fastpack" mode. I use it a lot in NC when there are no bugs.

The rain fly really does not come down far enough, when it blows you get wet.

You would have more space with a tarp that could be pitched wide and low.

For fair weather camping it works fine though.

A tarp that you could add a bug screen to would be very useful.

Darwin again
03-18-2008, 20:52
Cold weather = good for fastpacking (Just fly and footprint.)
Buggy weather = suicidal.