PDA

View Full Version : Postage for maildrops question

Mike Drinkuth
01-21-2004, 10:43
I am finalizing mail drops for 04. I have support from home with regards to sending what, where, when. I think only my first two drops are going to be pre-scheduled.
My question, then, is how do I pre-pay postage. Does USPS have some kind of pre-paid card where I can pre-pay a certain amount or what? How do I figure out how much postage to pre purchase when I don't know the weight of each box. What's a good estimate on how much postage i'll need? I'm looking at a fairly heavy mail drop schedule because of my unique dietary needs.
I know it's a bunch of questions but with 9 weeks left until I hit the approach trail, i'm nothing but questions.

Thanks in advance, guys!
This forum is SO invaluable!!!!
-mike

01-21-2004, 10:47
I don't know for sure but my uderstanding is the post office will allow stamps on priority pkgs. So buy a bunch of stamps. There may be a better way I am unaware of but it would work.

hiicprn
01-21-2004, 11:42
Hi there. I have been doing a lot of reading on mail drop issues and it has been suggested by several people to just set up a small checking account with enough cash to cover the postage for the entire trip. You share access to the account with your support person/persons. That way you can use an ATM card to track expenses and minimize the worry about cash. I will be doing this in 2005. My plan is to enjoy the adventure and live the dream and have the peace of mind that my support person will have to deal with minimal BS especially money. Just an idea.......

Good luck on your hike!! I envy you. :clap

Hiicp

chris
01-21-2004, 12:55
How much each box will cost in postage depends (entirely, I think) on how much it weighs, how far you are sending it, and the method you are sending it by. If you are sending from somewhere close to the trail, then Parcel post will be alot cheaper than Priority Mail. If you are several zones away, then the two will be about the same price, despite Priority being much faster. I sent three boxes on my Springer-Damascus section hike. They contained food only for 5-6 days and I sent them priority from central Illinois. Cost varied between $12 and $16. If you do not know how much the boxes will weigh in advance, you will not be able to buy the correct postage ahead of time (unless you are sending yourself a bunch of boxes weighing less than 2 lbs). I'd leave your support person with a wad of cash and have them buy the postage as necessary. To determine how much cash you'll need to leave is a little more tricky and depends on where you live and how big each box is. Assuming you live relatively close to the trail and are going to send via parcel post, assume something like $5 a box. If you are sending priority, assume something like $12 per box. If you are further away, increase the price accordingly. Of course, you could always just buy your food as you go, saving yourself a bunch of money and effort, but maybe you have a good reason for not doing this, like a special diet or you've dehydrated a bunch of meals.

illininagel
01-21-2004, 13:21
What's a good estimate on how much postage i'll need?

Mike, the United States Postal Service (USPS) charges vary depending upon the size, weight and destination of the package. I have included a link to a postage "calculator" which will give you a very good idea how much each package will cost.

http://postcalc.usps.gov/

If you don't know precisely how much each package weighs, the clerks at any post office will be happy to weigh it for you. Or, nearly every post office has a scale that's available to the public in the lobby area.

Packages that weigh over 13 ounces (I think that's the current limit) are not eligible for First Class delivery. So, you will select between Parcel Post and Priority Mail. You can learn more about the differences between the two on the USPS web site. Generally, Priority Mail is a little faster, but can be more expensive. However, an advantage of Priority Mail is that USPS will provide you with free shipping supplies (boxes, tape, etc.).

I hope this helps...Glenn

B Thrash
01-21-2004, 19:36
I am finalizing mail drops for 04. I have support from home with regards to sending what, where, when. I think only my first two drops are going to be pre-scheduled.
My question, then, is how do I pre-pay postage. Does USPS have some kind of pre-paid card where I can pre-pay a certain amount or what? How do I figure out how much postage to pre purchase when I don't know the weight of each box. What's a good estimate on how much postage i'll need? I'm looking at a fairly heavy mail drop schedule because of my unique dietary needs.
I know it's a bunch of questions but with 9 weeks left until I hit the approach trail, i'm nothing but questions.

Thanks in advance, guys!
This forum is SO invaluable!!!!
-mike
Mike: You can take your drops to the post office and have them weigh each package which it turn they will stick a postage label each and keep a running tally until the last package is weighed and stamped, then you reach deep into your pocket pull out the amount for total postage due, pay them then take the drops to the person who will mail them for you. All that they will have to do is take the drops to the post office according to your schedule or a call from you and mail them. The stamp label will not expire just like postage stamps do not expire, just hope that USPS does not increase the rate.

Jack Tarlin
01-21-2004, 20:17
I always "pre-stamp" my parcels and boxes to make it easier, quicker, and cheaper for whoever is dropping them off.

A few comments: Every now and again, postage rates change. It can't hurt to make sure your friend/family member checks on this when they drop off the box to make sure that proper postage has been paid in full; improperly stamped parcels can be delayed or returned.

Also, friends and family members often open up pre-packaged and sealed parcels in order to add last-minute items, treats, surprises. If they do this to a pre-stamped item, make sure they get it weighed again and pay the additional postage.

Make sure that whoever is in charge of your mail has the means to pay for additional or unplanned-for postal fees and is willing to do this ---what I mean is if your mom is handling your mail, you're probably OK, but if it's a friend, roomate, etc., you might want to leave him with fifty bucks to handle any contingencies. People are more likely to efficiently handle your mail and maildrops if they're not stuck paying for it!

Lastly, on many occasions, hikers that are leaving hostels or Trail towns on a weekend or holiday will ask another hiker, or a hostel-keeper or motel owner to take care of sending the parcel once the P.O. re-opens. If you do this, make sure you give them enough money so they don't end up out-of-pocket because they decided to help you, and don't do this unless you're absolutely sure the package will be stamped and sent. I've heard of several cases where people entrusted theil mail and "postage money" with folks and never got their stuff, so if you do end up doing this (and believe me, sooner or later, you will), make sure you're entrusting this to someone absolutely responsible and reputable.

Peaks
01-22-2004, 09:45
Two comments:

First, I always left my packages open. They were all filled and ready to be mailed, yet not closed up. That was so I could call home and request that certain items be either added or taken out of specific mail drops as I went along.

Second, I would not try to depend on a hostel owner or someone like to mail my drop box. You have already used their hospitality enough.

Mike Drinkuth
01-22-2004, 17:56
GREAT info (as always) guys! Thanks!
My support person is just about the nicest person breathing and she is willing to help in any way needed. All mail drops will be mailed from Atlanta, GA. I don't anticipate needing anything sent priority. (yet i'm figuring in a few at priority price just in case)
So...I go buy a buttload of postage...leave my packages open for any last minute additions, safely figure about 6-12 dollars per box and also leave her with 50-75$ extra and all should be well.
Hey, hiicprn...if I forego the pre-bought postage and just establish a small cheking acct for my support person to use, will the post office accept debit cards...even if it doesn't have a visa/mastercard logo on it?

Also don't trust strangers to bounce a box if it can be helped, don't trouble hostel owners with my mailing chores, and don't take any wooden nickels.
Awesome! Thanks guys! ;)

B Thrash
01-22-2004, 19:38
My support person is just about the nicest person breathing and she is willing to help in any way needed. All mail drops will be mailed from Atlanta, GA. I don't anticipate needing anything sent priority. (yet i'm figuring in a few at priority price just in case)
So...I go buy a buttload of postage...leave my packages open for any last minute additions, safely figure about 6-12 dollars per box and also leave her with 50-75$ extra and all should be well.
Hey, hiicprn...if I forego the pre-bought postage and just establish a small cheking acct for my support person to use, will the post office accept debit cards...even if it doesn't have a visa/mastercard logo on it?

Also don't trust strangers to bounce a box if it can be helped, don't trouble hostel owners with my mailing chores, and don't take any wooden nickels.
Awesome! Thanks guys! ;)

Looks like you got a plan man, good luck on your hike, I may see you on the trail somewhere.

Mike Drinkuth
01-23-2004, 10:50
Looks like you got a plan man, good luck on your hike, I may see you on the trail somewhere.

I hope so, Brother! It won't be long, now!!!
(I don't think i've ever been this excited before!)

The Solemates
01-23-2004, 13:29
Why don't you just give your support person cash and they can buy the postage for you when you have them take it to the PO to send off. Figure X amount per box and hand them money. That is what we are doing with ours on our hike. Leaving in 9 days!!

Mike Drinkuth
01-23-2004, 14:17
Why don't you just give your support person cash and they can buy the postage for you when you have them take it to the PO to send off. Figure X amount per box and hand them money. That is what we are doing with ours on our hike. Leaving in 9 days!!

That's a good idea, too. :-?
9 DAYS?!! SWEET!!! I still have to wait about 9 weeks but after preparing for 2 years, I can hold out 2 more months! GOOD LUCK Solemates! The weather right now in GA is WONDERFUL! I hope it holds out! If you guys could keep the rain a few weeks in front of me i'd appreciate it! :D

hiicprn
01-23-2004, 15:11

Awesome! Thanks guys! ;)
The checking account was something I have read about several times and I am going to try it. All of my bank's checking accounts come with a Visa check card. This will enable me to track balances and transfer funds as needed and give my support person the ability to write checks, get cash or use the Visa. I will be using more than 1 account, 1 for mail, supplies and town stops (including gear replacement), the other for home bills and emergencies (health care etc). I TRUST my support person with my life and have no problem at all giving her access to the account.

BTW, it sounds like you have it figured out for yourself. I wish I was going with ya man. Good luck and enjoy it :)