PDA

View Full Version : Most Popular Synthetic Bag for AT?

Frau
03-16-2008, 17:11
Nessmuk has had me searching for the most popular synthetic bag used by WB hikers. If this has been asked before, please redirect me. Otherwise--what synthetic bags do you all use? He is adamant about not using down, and doesn't have a stipulation about the degree rating.

Many thanks,

Frau

Rocketman
03-16-2008, 17:51
I used the Ray Jardine Deluxe Quilt, which is supposed to have a temperature rating near 26*F. Began mid April, 2007, just in time for a snow storm.

max patch
03-16-2008, 18:12
North Face Cats Meow.

But down is really, really, better.

Frau
03-16-2008, 18:22
Down would make me happy, but HE says down is useless when wet. He is not talking about rain, but rather sweat/condensation. He doesn't want to hang a down bag out every morning to dry. He used down years ago and swore off, and has been very satisfied with synthetic ever since.

He now uses a military sleep system and likes it but was thinking about getting just ONE bag. He has passed an old Slumber Jack to me (20 deg.) but it is cumbersome for backpacking. HMMM.

Thanks for the answers so far. I need to look up both the Cats Meow and the quilt and take a look at each.

Frau

rafe
03-16-2008, 19:33
Nessmuk must be doing something wrong, then. Down works great, and I'd guess that a majority of AT thru-hikers use down bags, at least at the start and end of their trips. Personally, I haven't used a synthetic bag outdoors since... the boy scouts, or something.

Frau
03-16-2008, 19:55
You may be right about doing something wrong. He has been camping and hiking since 1962 though, so I really can't argue with his experience. It is a preference. I, on the other hand LOVE feathers--pillows, comforters, throws, jackets, coats and BAGS.

He liked the idea of the Ray Jardine quilt, especially 2-person, until I told him I would have to sew it, :D and I can sew.

I am passing all info to him.

Frau

Heater
03-16-2008, 22:02
Look at the Montbell bags.

Tinker
03-16-2008, 22:07
How far has he carried his synthetic bag? A pound or so for 5 miles is quite different than the same weight over 15 miles. I haven't used a synthetic bag for hiking since 1986.

Tobit
03-16-2008, 22:13
Frau, show him the Climashield XP quilt (http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=34&products_id=60&osCsid=ea6f9dce61cb4af0cef126cda3763f3c) from Mountain Laurel Designs. I have one on order. I really like down but going to give Climashield XP a try this year.

dessertrat
03-16-2008, 22:17
For summer use, slumberjack makes a good 40 degree synthetic bag, that weighs just over two pounds.

Alligator
03-16-2008, 22:31
I like my Kelty light year 45 bag, it's right on it's temp rating.

I dislike my SD Wild Bill. It could have benefitted from a chest baffle. Not sure if it's made anymore, but it was rated 20.

I think I will eventually get or make a quilt.

Frau
03-17-2008, 07:09
He used to work in the Bridge Program at the juvenile correctional facility where he now work in a different capacity. The Bridge Program was a graduation-type program that the juvenile inmates had to participate in before release. It was 2 weeks in the forest, starting near Bear Wallow Gap and hiking/camping north toward Apple Orchard Mt. They learned rappeling, and all about survival. Prior to this did work projects, like the shelter on House Mt., and making the foundation for the Bryant RIdge Shelter, and went spelunking.

SO--he probably carried the bag (Slumber Jack) no more than 15 miles per day for two weeks. He has not thru-hiked, and now that he has metal in his ankle, does not aspire to.

I will check out the other bags that have been suggested. Did look at the Cat's Meow. He hopes to find one that zips most of the way down--he gets too hot. A quilt that doesn't have to be sown (see post above) ;) sounds like a good idea.

Last night he packed for our trip--a light bag and poncho liner for us both. This has to do for the Okefenokee AND Springer!

Keep the ideas coming,

Frau

Peaks
03-17-2008, 08:19
Just like all gear, there is no consensious on what sleeping bag is best, and no one has done a survey of what bag is most popular. It's a matter of personal preference, and what you already have.

Cat's Meow has been in the North Face line for a long time. But, many do like down.

Synthetic vs down: They are both miserable when wet.

rafe
03-17-2008, 08:26
Synthetic vs down: They are both miserable when wet.

That may be so. Though I can't really imagine, under normal hiking circumstances, how or why a sleeping bag would get wet. A high river fording, maybe. :-? Seriously, all it takes is a kitchen trash bag as a stuff-sack liner.

Peaks
03-17-2008, 08:43
That may be so. Though I can't really imagine, under normal hiking circumstances, how or why a sleeping bag would get wet. A high river fording, maybe. :-? Seriously, all it takes is a kitchen trash bag as a stuff-sack liner.

It happens. For example, my tent leaks in places, or maybe I set up in a low place and the runnoff comes in.

Plus, after a while on the trail, you do tend to get lax about keeping your sleeping bag properly stuffed in a waterproof bag.

rafe
03-17-2008, 08:56
It happens. For example, my tent leaks in places, or maybe I set up in a low place and the runnoff comes in.

I must be lucky. Haven't had to deal with water inside the tent in ages. Condensation, maybe.

Plus, after a while on the trail, you do tend to get lax about keeping your sleeping bag properly stuffed in a waterproof bag.I do? :-? Not! It's just a regular old stuff sack, with a kitchen trash bag liner. The bag's got to be properly stashed for travel. There's no way around that. Plus, there's a second level of protection, as well; either a liner or cover for the pack itself.

Seriously, I don't get "lax" with my sleeping bag. It's my lifeline against hypothermia.

Grinder
03-17-2008, 09:21
Frau,
You are asking the "down choir" to recommend synthetic. I don't think they can do it. It's a religious thing. <G>.

I tend to agree that wet IS gonna happen. Sgt Rock got dripped on in a shelter last week. Luckily, he had off trail time coming up to get dry. Sh** happens. Mostly, we come through it with another story to tell.

At the very bottom of the food chain, I have a Sportsman Guide Gear 50 degree rectangular bag.
http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=129749
It cost $30 delivered when on sale last year. It packs to the size of two grapefruits and weighs less than 2 pounds. With long johns, I have slept comfortable at 40 ish. I hammock (another religious advocation <G>) with a pad under me. I carry a poncho liner as backup. In colder weather I throw it over the top of the hammock.

I would think that a name brand 20 degree synthetic would be fine for three season camping, wet or dry.

Miles of Smiles,
Tom

saimyoji
03-17-2008, 09:25
I use a 45* Mountain Hardwear PolarGuard 3D summer bag. I like it just fine. Definately go with down in winter.

Summit
03-17-2008, 22:29
The NF Cat's Meow is probably the number one seller of all time. That doesn't necessarily make it the best, but then again, it might! :D :p

Tobit
03-17-2008, 22:53
The NF Cat's Meow is probably the number one seller of all time. That doesn't necessarily make it the best, but then again, it might! :D :p
The best for NF maybe. :D

Tinker
03-17-2008, 23:05
Here are some synthetic quilts which appear to be decent values:

http://www.fanaticfringe.com/page6.html

Wags
03-17-2008, 23:19
i'm not doing a thru for quite some time, but my bag is a 40+ lafuma x800... i fail to see the point of down in anything over 30+ (only real point at this temp is longevity imo). sometimes i think people buy down and 'get the lightest gear' just to say 'my bag is down' and 'i have the lightest gear' but w/e

my bag packs small (think a cantelope) and weighs under 2#. true to rating (i've been ok in the 40's so far - not enough balls to test the 30's in it yet :D). thanks to yeoldebackpacker for the great head's up on an underrated bag

Wags
03-17-2008, 23:23
that being said, my next bag will probably be a +15 or +20 down bag HEHEHHEHEHH

rafe
03-17-2008, 23:24
that being said, my next bag will probably be a +15 or +20 down bag HEHEHHEHEHH

Just a status symbol, of course. :rolleyes:

envirodiver
03-17-2008, 23:31
REI nooksack UL is a 35 deg bag with primaloft insulation. Weighs 28 oz.

I have messed around with them at the store for a while and finally ordered one for myself. Seems like a very nice bag for a synthetic. I like down, but I think that at times the synthetic may be better.

I'm with terrapin that I go to extremes to keep my bag dry. Still there are times that it has gotten a bit damp, usually from me sleeping so warm or condensation from my shelter.

Wags
03-17-2008, 23:40
i'm just kidding terrapin (booo on my terps not making the tourney :( )

my next bag will definitely be syntec

truthfully the down is a bit softer (but i'm still going to rock the synthetic)

if i NEED a down bag then it's too cold for me to be out hiking and i should promptly walk to my car and drive home...

i also carry a few random pieces of gear that are considered 'heavy' for their purpose - helps me hike my own hike if you know what i mean