PDA

View Full Version : Most recommended Thru-Hike tent? (TENT!)

Jail Break
03-16-2008, 18:28
I've decided last minute I don't like my tent (EMS Moonshadow, 3.2 lbs, 1 person, discontinued)... fine for sleeping, no room to sit up, pack your gear, etc.

I'm looking for TENT recommendations... please don't tell me to sleep on a piece of tyvek under a tarp... I want a tent. I'm a side-sleeper and can't sleep in a hammock. I want a tent. Thanks though.

I'm going solo, I'm 6'0", What do you experienced thru-hikers (who have used tents) recommend? Let's hear it. Thanks guys.

:-?

hopefulhiker
03-16-2008, 18:32
Tarp tent by Henry Shires or Six Moon designs... I used the Henry Shires Squall tent in 2005. It worked well for a single wall tent.

Lilred
03-16-2008, 18:58
double walled tent, check out the Hubba. Great for tall guys and you can sit up in it.

rafe
03-16-2008, 19:53
MSR Hubba gets lots of positive comments. If you can hack a single-walled tent, check out Tarptents -- you can cut the weight by down to 1.5- 2 lbs.

max patch
03-16-2008, 20:01
There is actually a tent called "The Thru-Hiker" which, ironically, would be a horrible choice to actually take on a thru-hike.

Blissful
03-16-2008, 20:23
MSR Hubba.

aaroniguana
03-16-2008, 20:33
There is actually a tent called "The Thru-Hiker" which, ironically, would be a horrible choice to actually take on a thru-hike.

Discontinued. But almost 6 pounds for a two-person tent? Yikes!

Heater
03-16-2008, 21:20
MSR Hubba.

I just ordered a Contrail. (just now) My next choice was the Hubba.

I think I can deal with the infrequent condensation issues when considering the weight savings. I think it comes down to the choice between double walled and single walled between these two tents (add the rainbow in here) but I think I can deal with the condensation without too many problems.

Summit
03-16-2008, 21:25
Sierra Designs Lightning should be on your short list. Not 100% mesh above the floor tub like the Hubba, but that means it sleeps a little warmer on those cold nights.

take-a-knee
03-16-2008, 21:29
A Hennessy hammock would be my first pick, but since no one has properly introduced you to hanging yet I'd reccomend what many here use, a Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo.

Heater
03-16-2008, 21:33
Sierra Designs Lightning should be on your short list. Not 100% mesh above the floor tub like the Hubba, but that means it sleeps a little warmer on those cold nights.

I have a Lightning. It is just an ounce or so over 4 pounds.
Great for a 2 person tent. Not so great for a solo tent regarding weight and footprint.

I love my Lightning. :D

Feral Bill
03-16-2008, 22:59
I find the SD Clip Flashlight very room for one, workable for two. Mine weighs just 4 lbs.

Summit
03-17-2008, 07:17
I have a Lightning. It is just an ounce or so over 4 pounds.
Great for a 2 person tent. Not so great for a solo tent regarding weight and footprint.

I love my Lightning. :DActually, I think it would be barely adequate for two people. With two persons there is no room for gear (unless you use your pack for a pillow!). To me it's the perfect solo tent, as I desire a little "space" in my home-in-the-woods! :) If it's a rainy or cold/windy day, I like to be able to retire to my tent, slap my BA mattress in my ThermaRest chair, and read sitting up in my tent.

I'm not willing to sacrifice the extra room to shed another pound, and with the extra room comes the larger footprint. For the room the Lightning provides, the footprint is quite small. I've only spent two nights in Uwharrie NF in my new Lightning tent, so don't want to portray that I'm an expert on it. I'm going for three nights to Shining Rock Wilderness the first week in April, and then doing a week on the Foothills trail a couple of weeks after that. Then I'll be an expert! :p

Tipi Walter
03-17-2008, 07:30
For solo backpacking I like my square footage, so my current tent has 36 sq feet, pretty danged big. The old AT stalwart was the Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight, now replaced by the MSR Hubba, generally speaking.

My choice over the years is to find a good four season tent with no mesh, but the overwhelming majority want less weight and therefore more mesh, hence the Hubba and all the rest. Since there are about a thousand of these kind of tents, you just gotta find a company you respect and study their product line.

You can go from top of the line solo tents by Integral Designs, Hilleberg, Warmlite and Bibler all the way down to the old Walmart pup tents and the Ozark Trail $28 domes. And when you do find the tent of your dreams, buy four of them because in a few months that model will be discontinued and you'll never be able to get it again.

saimyoji
03-17-2008, 07:42
If you can find one: Eureka! Timberlite 2.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=19648&catid=member&imageuser=3920

Heater
03-17-2008, 07:59
Actually, I think it would be barely adequate for two people. With two persons there is no room for gear (unless you use your pack for a pillow!). To me it's the perfect solo tent, as I desire a little "space" in my home-in-the-woods! :) If it's a rainy or cold/windy day, I like to be able to retire to my tent, slap my BA mattress in my ThermaRest chair, and read sitting up in my tent.

I'm not willing to sacrifice the extra room to shed another pound, and with the extra room comes the larger footprint. For the room the Lightning provides, the footprint is quite small. I've only spent two nights in Uwharrie NF in my new Lightning tent, so don't want to portray that I'm an expert on it. I'm going for three nights to Shining Rock Wilderness the first week in April, and then doing a week on the Foothills trail a couple of weeks after that. Then I'll be an expert! :p

Two people can sleep side by side comfortably and fit some gear inside as well. I just wish it was a little bit longer.

http://www.moontrail.com/details/sierradesigns/lighting/lgtn-int-34rgt.jpg

I agree 100 % about the sides extending up further before the mesh. Much warmer. That was the major selling point for me with this tent.

It has a good sized vestibule for the rest of your gear. You aren't getting all your gear inside with you in most solo tents anyway.

http://www.moontrail.com/details/sierradesigns/lighting/lgtn-int-vestibule.jpg

This tent is great for around my area where there is a lot of flat spots.
It can get a little warm in the summer, though.

Enjoy it!

http://www.moontrail.com/sierradesigns/lighting/lightning_interior.html

gearfreak
03-17-2008, 08:17
Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2 for me. Bought mine when they first came out. A bit expensive these days, though. :cool:

Almost There
03-17-2008, 08:59
Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2 for me. Bought mine when they first came out. A bit expensive these days, though. :cool:

You can get it for mid $200's on Ebay. It is about same weight as the Hubba, but more space and it packs down smaller, IMO. I just bought one, haven't used it out on the trail yet, but I do like how it sets up. With the Hubba I missed being able to put my pack in my tent, now I can do so again without gaining any weight on my tent.

margo
03-17-2008, 11:35
I havn't been able to use it other than the testing phase but I have a UL seedhouse 2 and it's an awesome tent. The rainbow 2 is awesome as well but isn't as idiot proof as the seedhouse, in my opinion. I really like how you can lay there and enjoy the veiw with the rainbow, you can't do that with the seedhouse unless the fly is off. Probably not an issue with a thruhiker though.

solace
03-17-2008, 12:26
I finally went with a BIBLER series tent... (Eldarado) Yes, they are expensive, @ $600 starting .. but, wow! Really, they are 95% waterproof, and it has to be 5 degrees warmer inside with the todd-text walls giving added warmth... Mine weighs in @ 5lbs, 4 oz, but the early constant rains this season... it has been wonderful!

mlkelley
03-17-2008, 12:40
Another vote for the SD Lightning. I love mine. I like to spread out, and have some space.

Tipi Walter
03-17-2008, 12:42
I finally went with a BIBLER series tent... (Eldarado) Yes, they are expensive, @ $600 starting .. but, wow! Really, they are 95% waterproof, and it has to be 5 degrees warmer inside with the todd-text walls giving added warmth... Mine weighs in @ 5lbs, 4 oz, but the early constant rains this season... it has been wonderful!

How does the Bibler work w/o a vestibule in the rain? I store alot of my stuff in the vesti and just wondered how the Bibler works in a heavy rain when you want to unzip the door to get out. Does the rain just come inside?

Jason of the Woods
03-17-2008, 12:58
REI Quarter Dome. I wouldn't sleep with any other.;)

Terry7
03-17-2008, 13:47
Six Moon Design Lunar Duo 2lb 10oz.

max patch
03-17-2008, 14:14
Re: The "Thru-Hiker" tent.

Discontinued. But almost 6 pounds for a two-person tent? Yikes!

Thats good. I've always wondered how many people bought one because of the name.

Summit
03-17-2008, 22:18
Two people can sleep side by side comfortably and fit some gear inside as well. I just wish it was a little bit longer.http://www.moontrail.com/sierradesigns/lighting/lightning_interior.htmlHey, very nice pictures! Some gear is right, but no packs with two people. Anyway, it's the ideal tent for this solo hiker who likes my pack on the inside and room to sit up and move around in nasty weather.

Rarely is it ever hot and rainy in the mountains. When not rainy, I'll be leaving the fly off in warmer weather. Can't wait to try it on a nice near full moon night! :)

earlylight
03-17-2008, 22:29
Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo or Tarptent Squall 2.
In fact, here's a comparison (http://sectionhiker.com/2008/01/15/tarp-tents-six-moons-lunar-solo-and-tarp-tent-squall-2/) with pictures.

Ramble~On
03-17-2008, 22:50
Antigravitygear "O2" , Hilleberg "Soulo"

There's two new tents to take a look at. They're on opposite sides of the spectrum from one each other. I don't know what you're looking for in a tent, 4 season, 3, single or double wall, weight, price.
There are many opinions on what the "best" tent is for a thru and I figured I'd throw a couple new models on your plate.

Wags
03-17-2008, 23:15
my tent is 5# 2 oz. SUP

divided by 2 = 2# 9 oz hehehh big agnes muddy slide 2. plenty of room for myself, and my lady. dual doors + decent sized vestibules on each side. i really like it :D

Tinker
03-17-2008, 23:16
Hilleberg Akto for the beginning (and possibly the end) of the trip. Anything with lots of bug mesh will do for the summer. Look at Mountain Laurel Designs for some ultralight tarp inserts.

envirodiver
03-17-2008, 23:48
Another vote for the SD Lightning. Great size for solo, with maybe just a little more weight than I want, but worth it if you want to have some room. Quick set-up. Handles wind well also.

I had a SD Clip Flashlight and spent a bunch of nights in it. Great tent, gave it to my daughter. Hard to sit up in though.

Spirit Walker
03-18-2008, 00:11
We used a Shires Tarptent on the CDT but were unhappy when the zipper blew out after only about 5 months use. We've heard others say they had the same problem. If you don't plan to use a tent every day, it is a good tent. If you do plan to camp every day, you might want something more durable.

bredler
03-18-2008, 03:20
I've decided last minute I don't like my tent (EMS Moonshadow, 3.2 lbs, 1 person, discontinued)... fine for sleeping, no room to sit up, pack your gear, etc.

I'm looking for TENT recommendations... please don't tell me to sleep on a piece of tyvek under a tarp... I want a tent. I'm a side-sleeper and can't sleep in a hammock. I want a tent. Thanks though.

I'm going solo, I'm 6'0", What do you experienced thru-hikers (who have used tents) recommend? Let's hear it. Thanks guys.

Try sleeping in a tyvek hammock under a tarp on your back, I'm pretty sure that's exactly what you're looking for :-?.

Lilred
03-18-2008, 08:29
Antigravitygear "O2" , Hilleberg "Soulo"

There's two new tents to take a look at. They're on opposite sides of the spectrum from one each other. I don't know what you're looking for in a tent, 4 season, 3, single or double wall, weight, price.
There are many opinions on what the "best" tent is for a thru and I figured I'd throw a couple new models on your plate.

I Saw TinMan's O2 tent a couple of weeks ago at Amicalola. Very nice!! A bit out of my league pricewise, but it looks to be worth every penny.

Jail Break
03-18-2008, 11:41
Try sleeping in a tyvek hammock under a tarp on your back, I'm pretty sure that's exactly what you're looking for :-?.

Finally! The solution to all my problems! Rebellion!:cool:

Del Q
03-18-2008, 15:01
Big Agnes SL1, pretty light, roomy, free-standing, easy setup, like mine.

dmax
03-18-2008, 16:08
one of the things i did when picking a tent.
sat on floor and used a tape to see the height i needed in a tent.

lbbrown
03-18-2008, 16:54
Double Rainbow- light and roomy

Peaks
03-18-2008, 18:24
Many good recommendations. However, to find what is right for you, go to an outfitter and try on different tents. Then you can judge just how much space you can live in, how much headroom you want, and of course, weight and price.

Myself, one of the features that I like most about my current tent is the side opening (rather than end opening). If I were to replace it, I'd definately look for this feature.

slowandlow
03-18-2008, 22:59

If I bought a 5 lb tent for $600 it had better come with $500 packed in the box.

aaroniguana
03-18-2008, 23:44
LOL.

Do what I did. Buy an old Singer machine at a garage sale, practice on it for a whie, take all the tarps/tarptents you can buy online and design your own using the best elements.

If I ever finish it I'll post pics. And f I add any more to it I'll need a building permit.

Hooch
03-19-2008, 05:21
I'm also a dedicated side sleeper and rest very comfortably in my hammock. I know, I know, you're not looking for a hammock. But rest assured that people sleep very comfortably in their hammocks in any position that they can sleep in anywhere else. You just have to hang in right and get in it in the correct position. Go look at HF (http://www.hammockforums.net) for other hammock info. :D

No Belay
03-26-2008, 21:27
I Saw TinMan's O2 tent a couple of weeks ago at Amicalola. Very nice!! A bit out of my league pricewise, but it looks to be worth every penny.

Lilred, I just ordered the O2. I'll let you know how it pacs. Only had to pick up 3253 cans to pay for it.

yappy
03-29-2008, 19:03
check out the huba hp. 7 ozs lighter then the hubba and not mesh anymore above the tub. it looks like a cool, though spendy tent under 3 lbs.

WILLIAM HAYES
03-29-2008, 20:57
you can sleep on your side in a hennessy hammock I do it all time give it a try

DapperD
04-14-2008, 21:43
check out the huba hp. 7 ozs lighter then the hubba and not mesh anymore above the tub. it looks like a cool, though spendy tent under 3 lbs.I bought an '07 model Hubba tent, right before they came out with the hp model. I think the hp is what I would have went with. I now want to purchase a true, lightweight cold,water and snow "proof" tent. I heard recommendations for the Stephenson Warmlite 2C, the Hilleberg Akto or Soulo, and the MSR Hubba HP. I didn't really want to bring my entire pack into the tent, so I think I may buy an Akto, or the Hubba HP, however the HP is currently new and I havn't read any reviews for it yet.

Wise Old Owl
04-14-2008, 22:39
http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/product/product.asp/imanf/Mountain+Hardwear/idesc/Meridian+1/Store/MG/item/203620/N/1005%204294967278

a little higher, a little lighter, price is cool.

gaga
06-24-2008, 22:21
http://www.campist.com/archives/nyamuk-sleeping-bagtenthammock.html

Jack Tarlin
06-24-2008, 22:45
They don't make that particular model anymore so I can't recommend it, but I've been carrying and using the same Mountain Hardwear tent since 1996. It has way over 20,000 miles on it, including being used on 7 A.T. thru-hikes, 1997-2003. And I'm using it again this year.

I would suggest you look at this company and their present offerings; they don't make junk, and I don't think you can go wrong with any of their stuff.

rafe
06-24-2008, 22:57
A general comment for what it's worth... there really aren't a lot of bad tents on the market nowadays, and that's been the case for quite a while. That is to say, unless you go out of your way to buy a cheap no-name knock-off from... who-knows-where. Stick with any of the major brand names and you generally won't go too far wrong. To quote from a very old (late-1990s) survey of AT thru-hikers:

The satisfaction ratio (those who specifically stated they were satisfied) averaged 70 percent and varied only a few percent from brand to brand. Furthermore, in contrast to boots and packs where product approval varied widely with brand, there was very little difference in how happy the hikers were with various tent brands. (Roland Mueser, Long Distance Hiking, 1998)

Sly
06-24-2008, 22:58
I'll add another vote for the 24 oz Lunar Solo

Sleepy the Arab
06-24-2008, 23:17
I'll throw in my 2¢ on the Hubba. I've spent a few nights in it (though no serious overnight backpacking trips...yet) and it's nice and roomy. One of the few small tents that I can stretch out in (I'm a little over 6 feet), and free standing - mostly - to boot.

I can also recommend a clip flashlight as well if you need a little bit more space, but swap out the stakes for some that are lighter and sturdier. I've used mine for over 5000 miles, and aside from a hole in the screen (through my own stupid fault), it still works fine.

Allen1203
06-24-2008, 23:37
I love my MSR Fling. Great room, not too heavy, breathes well enough for me.

solace
06-25-2008, 10:51
Hubba.. fantastic series... I went with Black Diamond Eldorado this year.. its a BIVY, yes, very expensive, @ 6-700$ but, for once, 90% waterproof.. mostly ideal for late fall, winter & spring... the weight 5lbs, 4 oz. has been worth the comfprt.. the bivy walls need no tarp... each of us has our own creature comfort... mine is a 2 person, so the added "living room" lol, makes its very comfy for 1, and still good for 2.

Lyle
06-25-2008, 11:14
Since this thread has been re-activated I think I will do a minor hijack here.

Disclaimer: No offense intended to the OP or anyone else.

Does anyone else find it odd, annoying, humerus, or pot stirring (depending on my mood) that so many posts start off asking a question, then expounding on all the normal answers that they DON'T want to hear. Obviously the poster has been here, done this enough to know what all the responses will be, so I assume they have already heard all the suggestions that they do want to hear also. Just seems to be odd to me. Not just gear questions either, it happens on any number of frequently discussed topics.

I try to just smile and let the party play out, not always successful. Anyway, done with my rant now, on with the previously initiated thread.

Dakota_
06-25-2008, 13:27
Gotta the love the Henry Shires Tarptent Contrail at 24.5 oz! If you really like the full tent experience of sitting up, check out the www.tarptent.com Rainbow.

earlyriser26
06-25-2008, 13:42
I have a SD lighting too. Yes, it is about 4lbs, but I love it. This is one of the few luxuries I carry. Me, all my equipment, and room to move around! I've tried all the "body condom" tents and would rather have no tent than to spend a rainy night in one of them again.

Monkeywrench
06-25-2008, 14:58
I've tried all the "body condom" tents and would rather have no tent than to spend a rainy night in one of them again.

Not exactly tent related, but the "body condom" reference brought this to mind. Last winter I was doing a weekend snowshoe backpack in the Green Mountains where we expected to be at a shelter for the night. Regardless, I was carrying my bivy sack to use either as an overbag in the shelter, or as my primary shelter if for some reason we had to camp other than at the shelter.

Well, as it turned out the snow conditions made for very slow going and we indeed ended up camping a couple of miles short of the shelter. No big deal as we found a wonderful spot in amongst some evergreens and stomped out a very comfortable campsite, including a fire pit for an evening campfire. Everything was grand until it was time to retire for the night.

By this time it was snowing steadily, so when I crawled into my sleeping bag I had to pull the bivy sack closed over my head. It does have a single hoop to hold the top up and away from my head, but I am more than slightly claustrophobic, and once I zipped the bivy partially closed and tried to go to sleep, it took all of my powers of concentration and a good bit of time to convince myself that I wasn't really suffocating in my personal little body bag. And when I rolled over half asleep in the middle of the night, and my face came up against the frosted fabric of the bivy, well forget about it! The panicked adrenaline rush convinced me that this was a good time to climb out of my body bag for a midnight pee and a breath of fresh air (and it was a truly beautiful night, as so many winter nights in the woods are), and a chance to calm myself down enough to crawl back into my body bag for the rest of the night.

NICKTHEGREEK
06-26-2008, 06:58
How does the Bibler work w/o a vestibule in the rain? I store alot of my stuff in the vesti and just wondered how the Bibler works in a heavy rain when you want to unzip the door to get out. Does the rain just come inside?
Biblers take some getting used to, and yes you do get wet. They are serious alpine tents for serious alpine trekking.

NICKTHEGREEK
06-26-2008, 07:03

Does anyone else find it odd, annoying, humerus, or pot stirring (depending on my mood) that so many posts start off asking a question, then expounding on all the normal answers that they DON'T want to hear. Obviously the poster has been here, done this enough to know what all the responses will be, so I assume they have already heard all the suggestions that they do want to hear also. Just seems to be odd to me. Not just gear questions either, it happens on any number of frequently discussed topics.

I try to just smile and let the party play out, not always successful. Anyway, done with my rant now, on with the previously initiated thread.
No, it is not humorous when you ask about a tent and you get 20 hammock answers, ask about a canister stove and get alcohol proponents chiming in. If you ask me when the bus stops here, why would you want to hear about the airplane service?

Rocketman
06-26-2008, 09:44

People get very annoying with their pushing onto you their very favorite "BEST SOLUTION I EVER FOUND". They love their solution, and want everyone to know about it. Their story lovingly flows from their fingertips onto the keyboard, over and over.

The Hammock guys are the obvious example.

Yes, the Tarp/Tyvek guys can be nearly as bad.

After you have read those personal raves about the "BEST SOLUTION I EVER FOUND" for the dozenth time in other people's threads, you do what you can to cut that same old tired crud out of your simple genuine request.

It makes sense to do it if it cuts out a just a few of those "BEST SOLUTION I EVER FOUND" replies.

Actually, even if it isn't my thread, I find that reducing those same tired old responses is a GOOD THING.

Any lie you tell a pestering salesman to get him to shut up is a good lie.

Anything that cuts down on those same old tired equipment love stories is a good thing.

SunnyWalker
06-26-2008, 21:49
when I tent I use my old Clip Flashlight.

Lyle
06-27-2008, 00:39
After you have read those personal raves about the "BEST SOLUTION I EVER FOUND" for the dozenth time in other people's threads, you do what you can to cut that same old tired crud out of your simple genuine request.

My point exactly. Once they have heard that "same old tired crud" for the dozenth time, they have also heard that the Huba is the best, Rainbow is the best, Seedhouse is the best, Mountain Hardware is the best... for the dozenth time.

gaga
06-27-2008, 09:39
My point exactly. Once they have heard that "same old tired crud" for the dozenth time, they have also heard that the Huba is the best, Rainbow is the best, Seedhouse is the best, Mountain Hardware is the best... for the dozenth time.
Eureka Spitfire is the best ;):D

Bearpaw
06-27-2008, 12:26
I don't have the specs right in front of me (since REI.com is down at the moment), but if you like the MSR Hubba, consider also the REI Quarterdome T1. It has nearly identical dimensions, vertical-instead-of-sloped walls, is a bit lighter and nearly $100 cheaper. (Again, this is from memory back when I was researching them several months ago). My wife loves the tent.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/bearpawat99/Mammoth%20Cave%206%2008/039a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/bearpawat99/Mammoth%20Cave%206%2008/041b.jpg

Though for my needs, I find I can't beat the Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/bearpawat99/Colorado%20Trail/CT11.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/bearpawat99/Foothills%20Trail%203%2008/P3170012a.jpg

At 5'9" I feel like I'm in a palace, with plenty of room for gear in the side triangle. At 6', you may feel a bit closer, but it really depends on your own comfort level.

ofthearth
06-27-2008, 13:56
Was going to mention The One but found this notice on the site

"WE ARE SOLD OUT OF THE ONE. DUE TO A SHORTAGE OF SPINNAKER FABRIC WE ARE UNABLE TO PRODUCE MORE OF THESE AT THE MOMENT. PLEASE CHECK BACK PERIODICALLY FOR UPDATES ON THE AVAILABILITY OF THIS TENT. WE APOLOGIZE FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE."

so keep the above in mind if you use any of the following links.

Links below are for gossamergear.com, 2 threads from WB, and 1 about The One from backpackinglight.com. Good service, friendly (both online and in person).

http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/The_One.html

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33127&highlight=ofthearth+Gossamer

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33235&highlight=ofthearth+Gossamer

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=11751&disable_pagination=1&id=CrxWQGZ9:64.241.37.140

Tinker
06-27-2008, 21:09
The Quarterdome is too small for folks (at least men) over 200 lbs and 5'10 or so. I tried it in the store near my house and I didn't have enough room to lay flat on my back without my elbows poking either side of the bathtub floor (sure to soak the sides of your bag in high humidity conditions due to condensation). In the desert, go for it. In the East you might like to see if you can borrow one before you buy.

take-a-knee
06-27-2008, 21:44
The Quarterdome is too small for folks (at least men) over 200 lbs and 5'10 or so. I tried it in the store near my house and I didn't have enough room to lay flat on my back without my elbows poking either side of the bathtub floor (sure to soak the sides of your bag in high humidity conditions due to condensation). In the desert, go for it. In the East you might like to see if you can borrow one before you buy.

I crawled into one at the Dunwoody REI in Atlanta. I'm 5'8" and the length was fine but it did seem too narrow to me.

Incahiker
07-02-2008, 12:33
I crawled into one at the Dunwoody REI in Atlanta. I'm 5'8" and the length was fine but it did seem too narrow to me.

I concur with the opinions above. I crawled in one at the kennesaw REI and my shoulders were slightly squeezing against the sides with just a t shirt on, as were my arms. If the tent were maybe 3" wider it might be ok. Its on sale right now, and if one is smaller then a 180 lbs 5'10" guy it might be the right tent, especially for the price.

It does have a ton of head room to sit up in, and actually it has more room then most solo tents for sitting up, but when laying down, which you will do the most of, it will be tight. I can't imagine being in my sleeping bag, it would definitely make it much too tight. My Seedhoulse SL1 has enough room for my 35 lbs. dog and me to sleep in together without even touching each other.

Big Sky
07-02-2008, 18:24
REI Quarter Dome T1 (http://www.rei.com/product/761891) is my 1 person tent but you may not find the amount of room to be to your liking. I am also 6' tall, but I am a very thin 130lbs and the sides come in close on me. I can sit up which I like but my toes do barely touch the end when I stretch out. The rain fly will barely cover your gear if you're like me and have a small pack. I don't know that it would cover a large pack.

It's not for everyone but the price is right and it weighs very little for a fully bug/rain proof tent. I can't speak to its durability as I haven't had it long enough. It seems to get good reviews on the REI site (4.6/5).

yappy
12-04-2008, 10:58
Hubba. They have the hubba hp out now. ( I think that is what it is called ).. under 3 lbs. My friend has 1 and really likes it. $$ though.

deadhorsejoe
12-04-2008, 13:53
I am certainly no thru hiker but I have used a Eureka spitfire solo (not the ultralight) for several section hikes. Hard to beat for the money. Wish it had a larger vestibule however.

Rockhound
12-05-2008, 11:41
gotta go with the Hubba. lightweight, large vestibule, plenty of room to sit up or lie down, easy to set up/takedown. MSR stands behind it. my poles did break this past summer and they were replaced free of charge.

skinewmexico
12-05-2008, 13:43
I really like my Quarterdome T3.

SmokeHouse
12-05-2008, 14:10
If you can't find what you like then you can always build one if you have alittle time ... I wanted room to move around while raining so I made a Hex tipi... 12' base 7'4" tall, 3lbs 8oz. tipi, center pole & Alum 8 stakes...

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/5/0/3/1/100_1089_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=27284&c=516)

Serial 07
12-05-2008, 14:13
maybe i had a bad one, but i didn't like my lightning at all...the floor was more of a water collecter than a deterent...any real rain i had, i was miserable...if i haven't already said it, the hubba hubba or the seehouse SL2 would be my choices...

Hangman
12-05-2008, 14:53
I myself used a hammock on my thru hike. But if I were to use a tent the hubba seemed the way to go. I guy I hiked with for 1200 miles used one.If you like shelters I seen guys set theirs up in one and not take anymore space up then their sleeping bag. and it keep the bugs and mice off of them. Water proof in sever stoms too. Hope this helps!

Panzer1
12-05-2008, 16:44
The best tent in the world does you no good unless you take it out for a hike.

Panzer :D

BradMT
12-23-2008, 14:24
For the AT solo, without doubt, I'd use a Big Sky International tent of some sort. Probably the Evolution 1P... I've sat in it on the showroom floor and it's roomy... GREAT lil tent just eyeballing it there... far better, IMO, than the Hubba, and other one person tents I've looked at.

http://bigskyproducts.com/shelters.aspx

For the PCT solo I'd just use my Black Diamond Firstlight. I'm 5'10" and that's as tall as you can be to comfortably use this tent however... next step would be the Lighthouse for a taller person/people.

Can't fathom using a Bibler tent on the hot/humid AT personally...

Franco
12-23-2008, 17:45
Just noticed several comments about "crawling inside a tent and ..." , that "was long enough for me" could easily become too short by the time you lie in it in your bag on top of a mat...

Franco

MaineSurveyor
12-23-2008, 17:55
Still using my SD Firefly (non-clip) that I started with in 1983)

BradMT
12-23-2008, 18:16
I've still got my North Face VE24 from 1979 and a North Face June Bug from 1985... the June Bug would work but there are a lot of really light alternatives these days... still, nothing like using a piece of gear that's got some mileage and proven performance!

Here's a pic of my Black Diamond Firstlight... I really like this tent... weighs exactly 3lbs and has withstood some hellacious wind, rain and snow above timberline... I think it'd be an excellent solo AT thru-hike tent for someone no taller than 5'10":

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/brad300wsm/IM000597.jpg

tuswm
12-26-2008, 00:33
is there any down sides to a "tarptent" like the cloud burst or rainbow? If they are so lite why doesnt everyone use them?

Tinker
12-26-2008, 00:54
Price and condensation, mainly. Also, most folks already have a tent or three or four or...........:D
In all honesty, condensation in a well-ventilated single wall tent isn't any worse than in a well-ventilated double wall tent. It's just that there's nothing between you and the inside of the tent roof keeping you from touching the condensation. If you want to go light with a single wall, just learn to use your bandanna to wipe off the inside of the roof occasionally.
Last year I had five one to two person tents. I gave away one and sold another in the spring. The others I'll hang on to so I can loan them to friends.
Then there's my growing hammock collection................(sigh) :p.

Franco
12-26-2008, 04:06
"is there any down sides to a "tarptent" like the cloud burst or rainbow? If they are so lite why doesnt everyone use them?"

Good question. There is always a reason why some will not like a particular product. But before I get to that some will ignore a brand (rather than a product) for some preconceived ideas. For example I never go inside a McDonald "restaurant" because I just don't like the brand, so if they were to came out with the best ever humburger for 50c I still would not eat it.
Now if you look at Tarptents it should be obvious that the Sublite is aimed at a different want/need than the Scarp 1. However some will also have the attitude that because they read a bad report on a TT all others are also out for them. I noticed this (particularly at WB) where some will come out with something like : " I will never buy an MSR tent because a mate had an MSR stove and it was terrible". Of course logically that is nonsense but "we" the customer buy on perceptions and emotion not logic.
Some only feel right inside a two wall tent, others like to buy from REI or their local shop. If you have invested money and trust with a particular outfitter you may than listen to your favourite salesman advice. In this case he is not likely going to recommend a product not available in the store.
What happens if you like a pyramid style tent ? not available from TT.
In short, if there is a choice no manufacturer ,no matter how good product it has, will ever be able to satisfy every customer.
And then you have my mate Max that only buys green tents ( and of a dark but not too dark green at that...)
Franco
To directly answer your question, I have the Rainbow but use the Contrail because is lighter (I use trekking poles) and packs smaller. Why would I use a double tent like the Cloudburst ?
P.S. I spend way too much time reading comments on the various forums about outdoor gear. After several years I have not seen a single tent that has had only good or bad comments. Even some of the more notorious duds have some very satisfied customers that rave about them.

Marta
12-26-2008, 10:07
is there any down sides to a "tarptent" like the cloud burst or rainbow? If they are so lite why doesnt everyone use them?

I have a hard time figuring that out. Tarptents are lighter, smaller in the pack, and larger when set up.

But, that said, some people don't like them. There is a tiny learning curve involved, which means sometimes people have a bad experience and just back away instead of trying to do things differently next time. They're not very warm. If you're going to be camping a lot on tent platforms, or on ground too hard to drive stakes into, a freestanding tent is probably a better option. They don't provide as much privacy as many double-walled tents, so if you're always camping with a group, or in developed campgrounds, you might prefer the opacity of a double-walled tent. If you do a lot of camping in places where cowboy camping is an attractive option, but there are lots of bugs, you might prefer a double-walled tent where you can remove the rainfly and just sleep under the mesh.

Personally, I love Tarptents, and marvel that anyone would choose heavier, bulkier conventional tents for the kind of backpacking I normally do.

buckwheat
12-26-2008, 10:36
... fine for sleeping, no room to sit up, pack your gear, etc.

I recently went through this same process, and settled on the Eureka Backcountry 1. Cost/benefit was important to me, I'm on a budget. I can't afford a $900 Hellenberg.

Here's the Eureka Backcountry 1 for $119.00
http://domsoutdoor.com/product.asp?pn=1-046093&sid=FROOGLE&EID=FR1-046093&bhcd2=1230300902

http://domsoutdoor.com/images/200/1046093.jpg

I've spent some time in this tent, and can recommend it. It's double-walled, and well-ventilated so you will experience less condensation, but it is not a "bug-screen with floor" like some of the other tents mentioned in this thread. It's a tent.

I wanted a free-standing, 3-to-4 season, double-walled inexpensive lightweight tent that I could sit up in and change clothes in if it was raining, etc. I'm a bit clostrophobic, so I didn't want something that I couldn't sit up or move around in. Also, I wanted it to be able to be pitched easily, so I ruled out the non-freestanding tent designs.

3 pounds, 14 ounces is what the manufacturer says. Replacing the 6 aluminum stakes would lower that some. I don't know enough about Titanium tent poles to know whether the weight/cost advantage would be worth it, but you could reduce the weight that way some as well. Most of the weight is in the poles/stakes methinks.

This tent has 24 square feet of space, and the dome design allows you to sit up easily. I am also 6 foot, so that was important to me. You can sit Indian-leg style, no problem, in this tent. I keep my pack inside the tent (no vestibule with this one). I find there's plenty of room for both me and my pack, and I don't want my pack on outside wet ground at any rate, so this works fine for me.

Setup time in this one is under 3 minutes. Very simple, but sturdy fairly typical sil-nylon design. It has guy-out points for windy locations and a nice, deep bathtub floor to keep the rain off your rear end (deeper than some of the others I've seen.)

On warm summer clear nites, I will probably sleep under just the tarp. You can remove the cover tarp for good starviewing on appropriate weather nites.

I wish it was a little lighter, but overall I think it compensates for its weight well with some of the added features I wanted in a tent. It comes with a silnylon carry cinch-sack for storage, but I don't use it. I fold the tent up and store it in the "sleeping bag" compartment of my pack along with any wet-gear I have. (The way I pack my pack, I keep anything that I will allow to get wet in the lower sleeping bag compartment.)

Good luck on the hunt. There's a million designs to consider and that makes it a much tougher decision. Definitely consider weight first, however.

buckwheat
12-26-2008, 11:02

Because there are plusses and minuses to every tent design. I don't use a tarp tent because they are single-walled designs. This increases, significantly, the chance that you will wake up sleeping in a puddle of condensation. However, the plus is that these are very, very light tent designs.

Plus = Weight
Con = Wet

Some people care more about weight and can give up a bit of dampness. Some people absolutely cannot abide a wet interior, so will give up a bit of weight to get a dry(er) tent.

snowhoe
12-26-2008, 11:49
SEEDHOUSE or CLIPFLASHLIGHT

Red Hat
12-26-2008, 12:33
Downsides to the tarptent? Only when you can't find a large enough flat spot to put it up in the rain... I love mine, but I'm keeping it for when I hike the PCT (I'll be in my 70s, as it's taking me a while to finish the AT - lol) I also own a Walrus Zoid that I hang on to for sentiment, as it was my first tent on the AT and worked great.

But like Tinker, I have a growing hammock collection. Picked up a HH Expedition cheap, then found a good deal on the Ultralite Backpacker.

Grinder
12-26-2008, 12:43
I'm with AaronIguana.

many moons ago I bought 20 yards of treated nylon for a song. I think it's one click up the weight scale from the recommended 1.3 ounce nysil.

I'm going to make a modified Henry Shires Tarptent with netting on all four sides.

I certainly hope the hammock gods forgive this blasphemy, but there are so many gear alternatives and so little time.

griinder

ofthearth
12-26-2008, 14:13

Some talented person needs to post a survey that items could be added to. Can it be done?

BrianLe
12-26-2008, 17:10
"is there any down sides to a "tarptent" like the cloud burst or rainbow? If they are so lite why doesnt everyone use them?"

Like others have already said, "wet vs. weight" is a pretty good terse summary, but there's a little more to it, IMO. A double wall tent will likely be a bit warmer in cold weather, if that's a factor --- warmth comes from sleeping bag, clothes, metabolism, tent, where and sometimes how you pitch the tent ... but if you want some additional warmth from the tent, it's potentially a factor.

I think the climate you typically hike in is a factor. I live in the Pacific NW, but have used a Tarptent (Contrail) a fair bit here; it's not an obvious trade-off. If I anticipate consistently damp weather, I'd likely prefer a double wall tent, but I can certainly make due with a single wall, just a bit more effort/compromise.

Depending on the particular double wall tent, single wall tents can be a bit more fragile, so if you want something that will last you decades of not-super-gentle use, a standard double wall might be a better choice.

I'm not 6' tall, more like 5' 10". bit tje Tarptent Contrail is very roomy for a solo tent. One trade-off there is just having sufficient room to pitch it. I can tuck my bivy sack or just cowboy camp in little niches where the Contrail needs a little more room. That said, one time in WA state when thru-hiking the PCT this year, my hiking partner of the moment and I found a single tent space with a little path leading to it off the PCT, and I gave him the site and wedged into the path. It worked.

I used the Contrail for nearly 2000 miles of the PCT this year (cowboy camped for the first bit), and it held up very well and I found it to be an excellent choice.

Brian Lewis
http://postholer.com/brianle

tuswm
12-29-2008, 14:14
OK So my GF and I are looking at a new tent, I am only 5'8'' and the idea of getting rid of our 6 lb tent sounds great. I would like a floor and space to get gear out of the weather. I doesnt have to be large enough to live in but sitting up would be nice. I use hiking poles so the idea of not carring extra poles sounds great. I see the squal 2 is about 2 lbs, a two person tent and has a floor. does it have room inside or in a vesabu for gear? Is there another option that I just dont know about?

BrianLe
12-29-2008, 15:04
You can likely get all your gear inside with you if you don't mind having the living space pretty filled up with your bodies and "stuff". Alternatively, there's space under the sort of vestibule that exists when it's filled up.

I like to put a lot of stuff inside the tent, limited stuff apart from shoes under the vestibule, and put some stuff in a black plastic yard waste bag outside the tent, though I've been happy either way.

BrianLe
12-29-2008, 15:06
Oops, in second sentence "filled up" ===> "zipped up"

asm109
12-29-2008, 19:42
Is there another option that I just dont know about?

Six moons design Refuge or Refuge X