PDA

View Full Version : Dry Big Bags

Christopher Robin
03-16-2008, 19:11
Just been to Wal-Mart, in the Camping Dept. I found Ziploc Heavy Duty Dry Big Bags $5.97, It has 3 bags 1 Lg. 3gal. 15x15 1 XLg. 10gal. 2' x 1.7' & XXlg. 20gal. 2' x 2.7' all have a pleated bottom to stand up while filling it. I also like it being water & tear resistant & both XLg. & XXLg. fits in my pack & just has light & a doublr zip lock on top also a handels to pull it out of the pack. :sun:sun:sun

vonfrick
03-16-2008, 19:25
that zipper top lasts about a day :(

Appalachian Tater
06-02-2008, 23:51
You would be better off getting contractor bags from a hardware store and goosenecking them.

take-a-knee
06-03-2008, 00:09
One Hefty Trash Compactor bag in the bottom of my pack with my sleeping bag and clothing bag stowed inside with the top of the bag either goosenecked or just tucked downward between the pack and the liner works for me.

theinfamousj
06-04-2008, 15:02
I've seen the term "goosenecked" a whole bunch in the past few years and while I think I know what it means, would someone please enlighten me as to what it actually means? I'd like to be able to add it to my vocabulary, too. :)

Appalachian Tater
06-04-2008, 15:38
Here is the best article I have seen on dry sacks. He calls it a "candy cane" closure. Basically, you twist the end of the bag up, then fold it down over onto itself in a "U" and then secure it. You probably do it all the time and don't think about it. "Candy cane" closure is more descriptive, especially if you consider the manufacturing process, which includes the same twisting and bending use in closing the bag!

He explains it in detail and has two clear pics of a blue bag being closed this way:

http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/DryGear/index.html

I don't even secure my contractor bag liner with anything, I just cinch my pack down on it, never had a problem.

theinfamousj
06-08-2008, 23:48
Thanks Appalachian Tater. That link was perfect. Turns out that it wasn't what I thought it was, but it was a style I had been tying all this time nonetheless. Who knew. Thank you very much :)

Christopher Robin
06-09-2008, 18:04
Well I was out for 3 days w/ granchilren in & out of my ziplock closer & it is as new as I started out.

toegem
09-19-2009, 20:14
Return from a recent trip where there was 3 days of rain http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/5 worked like a champ for me.