PDA

View Full Version : GG packs and water bottles

Kramer
03-16-2008, 23:50
I have had my eye on a GG Nimbus Latitude, but have concerns with carrying water bottles and accessing them. I use a hydration bladder as I find it easier with trekking poles, but want to be able to use my gatorade/nalgene/aquafina bottles as well. I know they will fit in the pocket, but are the pockets accessible without taking off the pack? I know the compression straps will have to be loose to get to the bottles while wearing the pack as well.
Are there any accessory pockets out there that fit well onto this pack?

take-a-knee
03-17-2008, 00:22
I have had my eye on a GG Nimbus Latitude, but have concerns with carrying water bottles and accessing them. I use a hydration bladder as I find it easier with trekking poles, but want to be able to use my gatorade/nalgene/aquafina bottles as well. I know they will fit in the pocket, but are the pockets accessible without taking off the pack? I know the compression straps will have to be loose to get to the bottles while wearing the pack as well.
Are there any accessory pockets out there that fit well onto this pack?

The Granite Gear side pockets work great for storage but you can't access them wearing the pack. I use the tall slender 24oz gatorade bottles and they are reachable stowed in the elastic side pocket but they are a pain to get back into the elastic pocket without removing the pack. I'd still rather have them (elastic) than mesh for a side pocket, that mesh would be continually getting snagged.

1/4 moon
03-17-2008, 00:43
the OR bottle folsters can attach to the gg hipbelt

Deadeye
03-17-2008, 08:44
I've got the Latitude Vapor, and I can reach the side pockets while hiking without removing the pack. That's one of my basic requirements when trying out new packs, since I don't like using bladders. I much prefer to have my filter bottle in the left side pocket, and I can reach it easily while walking along. YMMV. If you can't reach, I recommend a Mountainsmith sidekick for a water bottle holster.

rafe
03-17-2008, 08:50
The pockets on the GG packs are difficult to access while wearing the pack. Well, that's my experience anyway. OTOH, the packs do work well with hydration systems.

take-a-knee
03-17-2008, 09:00
the OR bottle folsters can attach to the gg hipbelt

Yes, there is a piece of webbing on the outside of the hipbelt to attach things to.

Kerosene
03-17-2008, 14:11
My solution was to replace the lid of one of my wide-mouth Nalgene Cantene's with the tube/bite valve (https://www.storesonline.com/site/465873/product/340706) (about $11), connecting the tube to my packstrap. I avoid the drawbacks of a hydration bladder and can easily sip while I walk.

Footslogger
03-17-2008, 14:30
I've got the Vapor Trail and the Nimbus Ozone. On both packs I took 2 pieces of shock cord and barrel locks and made myself a sling that holds 20 ouce Gatorade bottles. Easy on and off.

'Slogger

RadioFreq
03-17-2008, 17:52
I have tried soda bottles on several different kinds of backpacks with mixed results re: accessability while hiking. That's when I decided my cargo pants (w/ removable legs) and shorts work better. I carry my bottles in the cargo pockets on the outside of my thighs...kinda like a gunslinger. The pockets are a little small for Nalgenes but they are a nice fit for soda bottles, especially those taller, slimmer Propel Fitness water bottles. With a little practice you can pull one out, take a drink and slide it back in without even breaking stride. I only stash those bottles in the pack webbing when I have my pack off in camp.