PDA

View Full Version : Food bag

surefoot
03-17-2008, 06:11
One of the few pieces of equipment I still need to get is a water proof food bag. Should I go for the bear proof type that animals can’t bite through or just something water proof and hang from a tree? I don’t want to have to worry about raccoons, mice, squirrels, etc.:confused:

take-a-knee
03-17-2008, 07:05
Something like this is what I reccommend. also learn the PCT method of hanging. You can go with an Ursack if you want but it is a bit heavier, and, if properly hung, not necessary.

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=79&osCsid=b07ceaa50db36cd1de64f61c4533897a

Tipi Walter
03-17-2008, 07:19
My first food bag 28 years ago was a sleeping bag stuff sack, poorly waterproofed but it kept the food away from me. I've never bear bagged and probably won't start now, in fact when I'm caught in an all night rain I just move my food bags into the tent vestibule and forget about it. Unless the mice are busy, inwhich case I'll hang it up on the closest tree. Here's where a waterproof sack comes in handy.

There are many stuff sacks that will keep food dry when hung properly(i.e. sometimes upside down), and like socks they need to be replaced periodically due to wear, etc. A wet food bag suks as somehow the ziploc stuff like oatmeal ALWAYS seems to get wet, too.

The only time a raccoon took my food was when I left the bag on the ground at night while setting up camp. He dragged the whole bag down to the creek, ate like a king, etc.

Mice will chew holes in a food bag. Period. There's no way around it without expending too much energy. And the Ursacks are just too small for my needs though I hear they MIGHT repel mice teeth.

bigcranky
03-17-2008, 08:29
My Ursack TKO weighs 6.6 ounces with the odorproof liner bag. I don't need any rope to hang it, because it doesn't need to be hung. Saves me one more evening chore, and keeps all the little critters out of my food.

I watched a raccoon try to get inside the Ursack on top of a bear pole in Shenandoah. He tried for a while, then quit. The other hikers weren't so lucky.

I've seen plenty of food bags on the trail that weighed more, even before you add in the weight of 50-feet of line, etc.

take-a-knee
03-17-2008, 08:51
My Ursack TKO weighs 6.6 ounces with the odorproof liner bag. I don't need any rope to hang it, because it doesn't need to be hung. Saves me one more evening chore, and keeps all the little critters out of my food.

I watched a raccoon try to get inside the Ursack on top of a bear pole in Shenandoah. He tried for a while, then quit. The other hikers weren't so lucky.

I've seen plenty of food bags on the trail that weighed more, even before you add in the weight of 50-feet of line, etc.

I didn't know they were that light now, IIRC the early versions were 12oz. That is likely worth the weight IMO.

aaroniguana
03-17-2008, 09:10
http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=79&osCsid=b07ceaa50db36cd1de64f61c4533897a

That's a nice setup. However:

REI 8x22 coated Tuffsak: $9.98
50' 550 cord: $1.99
Home Depot mini 'biner .99
Old bluejean pocket for rocksack: Free

Savings: $52.04 + shipping.

take-a-knee
03-17-2008, 11:13
That's a nice setup. However:

REI 8x22 coated Tuffsak: $9.98
50' 550 cord: $1.99
Home Depot mini 'biner .99
Old bluejean pocket for rocksack: Free

Savings: $52.04 + shipping.

550(paracord) sucks for bear bagging, that outer sheath really clings to the bark. When you are down to a days food it can hang up and not descend. That 725# spectra from Gossamer Gear is what I use and it works like a champ 'cause it is really slick. I use a mesh sack (I think it's OR?) for a rock sack but some use their stake bag.

Tipi Walter
03-17-2008, 11:35
550(paracord) sucks for bear bagging, that outer sheath really clings to the bark. When you are down to a days food it can hang up and not descend. That 725# spectra from Gossamer Gear is what I use and it works like a champ 'cause it is really slick. I use a mesh sack (I think it's OR?) for a rock sack but some use their stake bag.

Stupid question here, but how do you keep the throw bag from spinning around a limb? I've seen a bunch of old cords high up in limbs, figured them to be for bear bagging.

JAK
03-17-2008, 12:02
I think if you throw the bag rather than sling it you are less likely to have it spin itself around the limb. You can't throw it as far though, because it has to drag all the line behind it. If you do need to sling it to get more height, I think a short underhand swing might give you more control, and also be less likely to spin around the limb. This is mostly based on theory, not practice. The two are the same in theory, but might be different in practice. ;)

JAK
03-17-2008, 12:06
The other thing that can cause a wrap is if you overthrow and then suddenly arrest the trajectory mid flight by stopping the line rather than letting it continue on its way. In general it is better to risk underthrowing and having to throw again than to overthrow and have it catch up in farther branches, or wind itself around the limb because you stopped it suddenly, making it fall down and wrap around.

JAK
03-17-2008, 12:09
One technique I haven't tried but might work would be to stop the line and then immediately re-release the line as soon as its over the limb. Check and release, so that when it swings down onto the limb the line is not taught and will keep on running out again with gravity.

take-a-knee
03-17-2008, 12:47
Stupid question here, but how do you keep the throw bag from spinning around a limb? I've seen a bunch of old cords high up in limbs, figured them to be for bear bagging.

The slick line helps prevent that but an errant throw is usually the cause, if you throw it into a tangle it'll get tangled. That gossamer gear line helps pull it down if it gets stuck cause it has no stretch.

Mrs Baggins
03-17-2008, 16:14

First you said "it doesn't need to be hung, ever" and then you said you put it up on a bear pole. So which is it????? I'd rather not be bothered hanging a bag (I'm a very short female - not a lot of strength for throwing a bag up a tree).:confused:

bigcranky
03-17-2008, 16:58
First you said "it doesn't need to be hung, ever" and then you said you put it up on a bear pole. So which is it????? I'd rather not be bothered hanging a bag (I'm a very short female - not a lot of strength for throwing a bag up a tree).:confused:

In Shenandoah one is required to use the bear poles -- no matter what food bag is used. So I put my Ursack on the bear pole rather than risk a fine.

When I camp, the Ursack gets tied to a tree 50 feet or so from my tarp. In a shelter, it gets tied to a support or hung from one of the food bag hangers. I don't carry rope to hang it in a tree.

Please note that I do not expect an Ursack to be actually bearproof, but I have seen it in action against other critters, and it works.

envirodiver
03-17-2008, 17:13

This is what happens with an errant throw. I could find no rocks so I used a stick in my bag. It somehow got stuck in the crotch of the tree, I have no idea how. I threw sticks at it for about 15 min. until I could hit it a couple of times and knock it loose.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/4/1/1/6/P1000467_thumb.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=20193&c=678)

Peaks
03-17-2008, 17:17
Back to the original question: A sil nylon stuff sack works just fine.