PDA

View Full Version : Grayson Highlands, Bear Bag?

Ashman
03-17-2008, 08:14
Is Grayson Highlands considered "bear country"? To those who bear bag, is this an issue here?

Lugnut
03-17-2008, 08:41
There are a lot of animals interested in your food besides bears. I'd hang it.

Ashman
03-17-2008, 08:48
Thanks, that is what I thought.

Side note, I am taking my daughter with me for her first backpacking trip (she is 8). Can you bring carrots or something to feed the ponies or is that a bad idea? My first thought was, they are still wild animals and that it wouldn't be smart.

dessertrat
03-17-2008, 09:06
They say not to feed the ponies. Some of them are ill behaved, not to mention you don't want them to become dependent upon people for food. They should forage naturally.

BR360
03-17-2008, 09:15
The ponies are picturesque, but are a nuisance. They are not "wild," but are more like "free range." Apparently, they have been fed by humans, and now expect handouts.

We had a pack of 4 come into our camp. Once they sniffed our food bag, my wife and I had a hard time keeping them away from our stuff. They were amazingly persistent.

We could not get them to leave our camp for their begging, and they hassled my 7 year-old son by following him around as he ate a granola bar. Borderline aggressive. It was disconcerting, as I would not have expected this type of behavior from wild horses, who typically show some trepidation regarding human contact.

Had we not been packing up to head out, it might have gotten to the ugly side of human-animal interaction.

dessertrat
03-17-2008, 09:17
There you go. It might be fun to feed them, just as it might be fun to feed bears.

sherrill
03-17-2008, 09:34
I guess maybe the more appropriate question for Grayson would be "should I horse bag?" :D

winger
03-17-2008, 09:40
I've camped numerous times in Grayson. Always enjoy seeing the ponies, never had a problem with them trying to forage for a hand out. Never used a bear bag either.

KevinAce
03-17-2008, 11:09
Yeah they are definitely used to people now. I'd avoid feeding them if possible. If you just act like you have food, they'll come up close enough to be pet. They definitely do not shy away.

The wind was pretty fierce so I couldn't hear much. I stopped just before exiting the free range area to rip open a power bar and one of those bastards snuck up on me and ran into me trying to get it. I was pretty close to ****ting my pants. I knew my entire group was up ahead. When I got nudged, it was either: bear or horse. Thankfully it was one of these cut guys.

This is a buddy of mine:

http://www.kevinwimer.com/pics/hiking/steve-horses2.jpg

hobojoe
03-17-2008, 11:44
Do not feed the ponies, they were placed there to keep the balds bald! They are not exactly wild although they do roam free now but they descend from a domestic breed. I thought I saw some racoons there once too.

Blissful
03-17-2008, 13:19
What everyone else said aobut haning food and ponies...but have a great trip! Sure your daughter will love it. :)

max patch
03-17-2008, 13:54

Side note, I am taking my daughter with me for her first backpacking trip (she is 8). Can you bring carrots or something to feed the ponies or is that a bad idea? My first thought was, they are still wild animals and that it wouldn't be smart.

The ponies arn't exactly wild; and a lot of hikers feed them whether they should or not.

If I was hiking solo I wouldn't bring food for the ponies; but if I had an 8 year old daughter I'd bring carrots. I think the joy that your young girl will get outweighs any "harm" that will accrue to the ponies.

dessertrat
03-17-2008, 14:01
Sorry, Max, but I disagree. It's that sort of thinking that has harmed the ponies so much. A better argument would be that these ponies are already basically beyond hope in terms of their relations with humans, so one more human feeding them won't hurt. Nobody else will listen, apparently.

As a matter of principle, you shouldn't feed them. Maybe you should explain that to your child, and see if she thinks she should feed them anyway?

Ashman
03-17-2008, 14:36
Okay I got the National Geographic map for the Mount Rogers area. In looking at the the map, I am thinking about Parking at Massie Gap, taking the AT Spur up to the AT, following the AT NOBO past Wise Shelter to the Scales Trail, down to the Seed Orchard Trail back to Massie Gap. By my count that is a little less than 6 miles. Comments on that layout? Is there a another 4-8 mile loop in the Grayson area that you would recommend to use to introduce an 8 year old to the joys of backpacking?

Freeleo
03-17-2008, 15:33
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=23022

dont feed the ponies:eek:

hobojoe
03-17-2008, 16:39
Horse Nubby....

BR360
03-17-2008, 17:06
Ashman, That would be an OK loop, but you would miss great views, as it would be mostly woods-walking.

With my 7 year-old, I've parked at Massie Gap, hiked the AT spur, turned left on the AT, and headed up to Wilburn Ridge to camp past Rhododendron Gap. You can camp under the stars at Wilburn Ridge, or on Thomas Knob. You can vary the mileage, and make it up to almost 4 miles if you go all the way to Thomas Knob Shelter. There are several good campsites just off the trail maybe 3/4 to 1/2 mile before you get to Thomas Knob. Campfires are allowed here, if no fire ban, but watch where you pitch your tent esp. on a windy night, because there are a lot of dead/dying hemlocks.

The blue-blaze trail over Wilburn Ridge is quite scenic, as you end up on top of rock formations and have better views, but it is a little scary for young ones or those with fear of heights, as there is some rock scrambles to clamber up and over. My boy did OK with it, but I had to take extra care with him.
The AT circumnavigates the Wilburn Ridge section, but they both end in Rhodo Gap.
Hope this helps. Have a great trip!

BR360
03-17-2008, 17:12
Also there's a reliable spring just below the Crest Trail SouthWest of Rhodo Gap. Shown on the NG map. Look in the Mt Rogers High Country section.

max patch
03-17-2008, 17:18
With my 7 year-old, I've parked at Massie Gap, hiked the AT spur, turned left on the AT, and headed up to Wilburn Ridge to camp past Rhododendron Gap.

FWIW, I also prefer the AT SOBO leaving from Massie Gap.

Ashman
03-17-2008, 17:21
Thanks! That is the kind of feedback I am looking for. I haven't been there before myself so I really appreciate the scouting report.

Groucho
03-17-2008, 17:52
Also there's a reliable spring just below the Crest Trail SouthWest of Rhodo Gap. Shown on the NG map. Look in the Mt Rogers High Country section.

Is this the fenced-in spring?

BR360
03-17-2008, 18:31
Is this the fenced-in spring?

Yes. it is fenced in. SW of Rhodo Gap, W of Wilburn Ridge. The spring is the beginning of Cabin Creek, which is labeled further S in the drainage.

Last August i was up there during the drought, and it was still flowing enough to fairly easily get water.

Appalachian Tater
03-17-2008, 19:05
Here's a nice set of photos of this amazing area. It includes a photo of the sign that asks people not to touch or otherwise molest the horses.

http://www.thefoothillstrail.com/graysonhighlandsjournal.html

Unless your 8-year old has been around horses before, she might be a little frightened of them, anyway. It would be a good opportunity to talk to teach her about these feral animals, and then you could take her riding elsewhere. Be respectful of them. The males stand guard of the resting females and foals and you would not want to disturb them in this situation. Besides wanting food, the horses might try licking salty things like your skin and backpack.

double j
03-17-2008, 20:58
u could stay at thomas knob and stay away from the crazy wind and dit has a nice loft in the top and there is a overnight backpacking parking lot wilburn ridge is nice rocky tho

Bare Bear
03-17-2008, 20:58
My fav T shirt of all time was by a Yellowstone Rescue Team; it read something like:

Feed the bears.
Put your child atop the wild animals for a photo.
Stray off the main trails.
Thank you for your business, Yellowstone Rescue

Pretty self explanatory. I used to get a lot of jokes about my "bear bagging always habit." I felt it keeps ants, raccoons, mice, etc. out too.

Then one nasty cold night in north Florida when you would think even the bears would be huddled up I heard great crashing and a thump and thought I had lost my food bag. It turned out the bear had climbed the tree and tried to get out onto the little branch and it broke and he/she fell about ten-fifteen feet to the ground then left. Wrong branch dumb bear! My food was still there, on the next higher branch. Same goes for any wild animal...if you feed them they will become a nuisance at least, it is not good for them and it may mean they die to eliminate the problem. Pretty unfair to the animal. I have seen thousands of alligators in the wild and even one I stepped on in high marsh grass did his best to get away from me. The only ones that are dangerous to humans arfe the fed ones.

dessertrat
03-17-2008, 21:01
The bear was trying to get onto the branch below, so he could reach up to get the food bag, I'll bet.

Tennessee Viking
03-18-2008, 00:27

The Grayson ponies are fenced-in wild ponies. They were brought in to help keep the brush and grass in the area down.

Don't even think about feeding the ponies. You will get slapped with a big fine if you are caught feeding them. The park rangers don't even like people petting them or getting fairly close. They are a bit mouthy so keep things close. I had one of them try to eat my camera.

There are bears around Mt Rogers and Graysons, but its mice and snakes you have to really have to worry about. Usually I hear more bear sightings off of the Iron Mountain trails.

highway
03-18-2008, 03:20

Never feed any wild animal...

Unless you wish to kill it.

Because that is likely what you would be doing to it,

Appalachian Tater
03-18-2008, 03:40
Never feed any wild animal...

Unless you wish to kill it.

Because that is likely what you would be doing to it,These particular horses aren't wild animals and feeding them won't kill them. If you say stuff like that, then half the people registered on this website will have nightmares about having killed the ponies by feeding them. The damned things follow you around begging for food like scruffy little street children. I'm not advocating feeding them but I do wonder how many people really manage to resist.

KevinAce
03-18-2008, 05:59
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=23022

dont feed the ponies:eek:That's someone else from my group on our last hike there. She actually wasn't feeding the horse...just acting like she had food. They bought it.

KevinAce
03-18-2008, 06:01
u could stay at thomas knob and stay away from the crazy wind and dit has a nice loft in the top and there is a overnight backpacking parking lot wilburn ridge is nice rocky thoThomas Knob is a fantastic shelter. One of the best I hear. It has a loft that's completely wind/weather isolated that makes for a cozy sleep. Virgina 600 highway is only 5 miles west of it...and Grayson Highlands about 3 miles to the east of it.