PDA

View Full Version : YO-YO - Northern Start

Tobit
03-17-2008, 08:33
When would be a good time to start a YO-YO of the LT? I'd like to begin and end in the North, leaving my car at Rose Apple Acres. Would starting on September 1st be too late? Based on 12 mi./day, it would take ~45 days to complete.

I am thinking of doing this trip this year if I can whip my fat butt into shape but it may not be until next year. However, it is still early and, with the right determination, getting in shape by September isn't impossible.

Peaks
03-17-2008, 08:39
September though mid October is a great time to hike. Words of caution: days get short in the fall, and evenings come early. Plus, expect frosty conditions overnight and in the mornings.

Tobit
03-17-2008, 08:44
September though mid October is a great time to hike. Words of caution: days get short in the fall, and evenings come early. Plus, expect frosty conditions overnight and in the mornings.

Yup, I grew up here in Southern NH so I am aware of the climate. However, a bit unsure of what to expect if I get delayed some where along the trail and don't end up getting back to Canada until the very end of October or beginning of November. I guess that's why it's an adventure. :)

emerald
03-17-2008, 15:40
When I worked for GMC, mostly "down south" on the Manchester Ranger District, USFS told tales I expect were true about extracting unprepared hikers from the backcountry when early snow storms came.

There's a time for long-distance hiking and a time for winter camping. It's not always clear when that time has come until after the fact.

hammock engineer
03-17-2008, 16:05
I was up there in Oct a couple years ago. Great weather and not too bad at night. The leaves on the ground can be brutal. Not very many people out either. Great time. Pack a good headlamp, extra batteries, and a book.

emerald
03-17-2008, 16:15
I was up there in Oct a couple years ago. The leaves on the ground can be brutal.

You mean like the leaves came after ya and accosted or even assaulted ya?:-?:eek:

oruoja
03-17-2008, 19:37
October can go either way especially from Lincoln Gap near Mt Abraham to the north. Last October I was up on the Mansfield ridge in late October with good weather, but other years ice and snow conditions can make the going tough. With a Sept 1st start you'll transition into fall for the second NB leg. Just be aware of shorter days and have the right clothing should the weather get wet and cold. Sounds like a great trip, good luck.

Tobit
03-17-2008, 19:44
Not sure why I am wanting to do a YO-YO when a simple thru would be just as rewarding. I may just start a basic SOBO mid-September. Definitely some things to think aboot.

emerald
03-17-2008, 20:09
Not sure why I am wanting to do a YO-YO when a simple thru would be just as rewarding. I may just start a basic SOBO mid-September. Definitely some things to think about.

You're right, you might want to think about hiking back to Canada once you have hiked to Massachusetts. You would have a better idea then what such a hike would entail. If you have some time to spare, you might inquire if GMC's Long Trail Patrol is still doing any work then or has already finished for the year.

NorthCountryWoods
03-19-2008, 07:11
Not sure why I am wanting to do a YO-YO when a simple thru would be just as rewarding. I may just start a basic SOBO mid-September. Definitely some things to think aboot.

Twice the time on the trail = Twice the fun!

If you can keep that schedule, you'd almost surely be done before a good snow hits (notice I said almost). Even in the north, the snow won't be on the ground more than a day or two and you'd be thru smugglers notch by the start of the second week in October.

Go for it.

Quoddy
03-19-2008, 09:02
The northern portion (above the AT/LT split) is an inspiring hike. Yo-yo-ing from the north will mean that you'll have over 200 miles of less than spectacular hiking consecutively in the south. Logistically, scenery wise, physical conditioning wise, and weatherwise I think you'd be much better off beginning in Williamstown... whether you yo-yo or just end the hike at Journey's End. But, as always, HYOH.