PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bag for sobo thruhike

German Tourist
03-17-2008, 12:25
I will start a sobo AT thruhike mid-June this year.
I am aware of the fact that I will have to change to a warmer sleeping bag (Western Mountaineering Versalite in my case) at the end of my trip.

But my question is: Which sleeping bag should I start with?

i am a lightweight gear head and have the choice between a Western Mountaineering Ultralight (rating 20 F) and Western Mountaineering Summerlite (rating 32 F).

I would rather go with the Summerlite right from the start in order to save weight, but I am not quite sure whether a 32 F rating is warm enough for Maine in June.

Thank you for any input on that topic.

Greetings from Germany,
German Tourist aka Christine

Johnny Swank
03-17-2008, 13:01
I think you'll be able to get away with the Summerlite IF you're carrying some sort of jacket/hat/clothing combo to augement it. I started July 1, and used a fleece hat/pullover every month of the trip. Western Mtneering are pretty conservative with their ratings from what I've seen.

Old Hillwalker
03-17-2008, 16:51
Welcome German Tourist. I will also be Southbound from Katahdin in Mid June. See you out there.

Almost There
03-17-2008, 18:21
You should be fine with a 32 degree bag, Rangeley had a June low of 28 degrees....record. I am going with my 40 degree bag starting June 10th...between my bag liner and layers, I should be good into the mid twenties. Then again I get hot real easy.

dessertrat
03-17-2008, 20:31
If I were you, I would take the 32, and have a light down jacket or heavy fleece to augment if necessary, along with a good hat and some long underwear.

Also, bring lots of bug repellant!

Marta
03-17-2008, 20:37
I used a Western Mountaineering Ultralite from July through Oct. 31. I probably could have gotten away with a slightly cooler one...but I would have had a few uncomfortable nights. It gets darned cold in northern New England even in the summer--wet and windy.

commonwealth_hiker
03-18-2008, 00:44
This is very good stuff to know. I'm also planning a sobo thruhike in Mid-June and was thinking a 50 degree bag w/pullover, etc. would suffice.

Johnny Swank
03-18-2008, 08:24
That 50 degree bag might be optimistic for the cooler days, and I'd want to have something warmer for the Whites in any case. If I did another SOBO, I'd probably carry a 32 degree bag and synthetic pullover/hat combo for the first 4 months or so, then go to a 15 degree bag for the rest.

As always, YMMV.

rafe
03-18-2008, 08:27
I would rather go with the Summerlite right from the start in order to save weight, but I am not quite sure whether a 32 F rating is warm enough for Maine in June.

You'll be fine. If push comes to shove, you can put on a base layer.

jrturkeycu
03-26-2008, 19:33
I started SOBO mid-may with a Marmot Trestles 40 degree bag and was fine. I'd be more worried about fending off mosquito's than freezing to death.....