PDA

View Full Version : Hostel

partinj
03-17-2008, 13:01
Hi just wonder if you had to make a choice what hostel would you stay at the Kincora or The Laurel fork lodge. They seen to get a lot of good thisaid about both hostel.Don't if the laurel offer a suttle in to town.
:-?

minnesotasmith
03-17-2008, 13:19
Hi just wonder if you had to make a choice what hostel would you stay at the Kincora or The Laurel fork lodge. They seen to get a lot of good thisaid about both hostel.Don't if the laurel offer a suttle in to town.
:-?

You'll be around other hikers more. You'll be supporting someone (Bob Peoples) who does an incredible amount for the trail. And, you'll be around other hikers more. ;)

Blissful
03-17-2008, 13:21
Kincora. The Peoples are true people (and friends) of the trail and of hikers!

hobojoe
03-17-2008, 13:27
Kincora

hopefulhiker
03-17-2008, 16:10
Kincora!

spittinpigeon
03-17-2008, 16:15
Fishy-T made the walk to Laurel Fork, he said there was a nasty dog thataway.

A-Train
03-17-2008, 16:32
To offer some counter info, I stayed at the Laurel place Hostel. This was because a hiker's parents had rented a cabin and were treating us to a great big spread, a place to sleep, showers, laundry, etc. This place was really pleasant, though I'm assuming the cabin accomadations are a bit nicer than the hostel. I did enjoy playing some basketball there, since the oppotunities on trail are few and far between.

That being said, Kincorra was totally full, so consider Laurel if the place is packed or you don't like crowds. I did spend parts of 2 days hanging at Kincora, since it is such a legendary place and Bob is such a nice guy.

I'd definately pick Kincora, due to the overwhelming generosity of Bob and Pat (and you can't beat the price!) but there is certainly a suitable alternate out there..

Lilred
03-17-2008, 17:31
Kincora, no question about it.

Grampie
03-18-2008, 13:08
I have stayed at both and it would depend what you are looking for. Laurel Creek is more of a family campground. Kincora is a typical hiker hostel. Laurel Creek has a hot tub. Kincora is run by Bob Peoples one of the great AT folks .

Possum Bill
03-19-2008, 13:30
Fishy-T made the walk to Laurel Fork, he said there was a nasty dog thataway.

Yep, I've ran into that dog too. If I was staying at Laurel Fork Lodge I would consider going down the Coon Den Falls trail to Dennis Cove just to bypass that creature. Not sure if he bites or not, but he'll make you think he's going to eat you up.

The folks at the Lodge are super-nice, but if I'm thru-hiking I'd stay at Kincora. Bob has my vote for President.

Appalachian Tater
03-19-2008, 13:41
Kincora is definitely one of the hostels on the trail that shouldn't be missed.

Bearpaw
03-19-2008, 15:05
I stayed at Kincora and really enjoyed the experience.

That being said, I don't think there are any bad options in the area. I've never heard any thing bad about Laurel Creek Hostel (other than it cost a little bit more). And when I section hike this area again, I fully intend to stay at Braemar Castle 10 miles up the trail. From every thing I hear, it's a tremendous experience all unto itself.

The area is just very hiker friendly once you get away from 19E.

hobojoe
03-19-2008, 15:15
Braemar is not in any guidebooks for a reason......

Lone Wolf
03-19-2008, 16:15
Braemar is not in any guidebooks for a reason......

what reason would that be? it's better than kincora or the other one

Gaiter
03-19-2008, 16:47
kincora

hobojoe
03-19-2008, 16:50
what reason would that be? it's better than kincora or the other one
Because it is very delicate. We don't need it packed with hiker trash all year. Just respectable old timers like yourself.

Dogwood
03-19-2008, 20:13
I have stayed at both and it would depend what you are looking for. Laurel Creek is more of a family campground. Kincora is a typical hiker hostel. Laurel Creek has a hot tub. Kincora is run by Bob Peoples one of the great AT folks .

I also have stayed at both and will agree with Grampie's assessment; both places R great. I just wished I had a fishing pole when I stayed at LF because the Fish and Game had just stocked the stream w/ trout and it was just a matter of time until U filled your limit.

valleyfire
03-19-2008, 22:11
Kincora

doggiebag
03-19-2008, 22:20
The Laurel Fork Lodge was clean, quiet and had a good selection for short term resupply. It was only $6.00 a night for the bunkhouse. They had a self service kitchen and internet access. Great place to recharge (I need my sleep).

Tennessee Viking
03-19-2008, 23:41
I am biased because I work with Bob. But Kincora all the way. Got Bob and Pat. The animals. The tree loft. Stories. Maintenance outings. Hardcore event. Plus its a good deal in costs.

I hear Braemar is also adventure and more inside Hampton.

Laurel Fork Lodge is a bit more expensive. I have only stepped in to look around. Its really nice. They have some nice cabins to rent if you decide to revisit.

valleyfire
03-20-2008, 11:38
The tree loft???