PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only drunken Irishman, or woman?

Jason of the Woods
03-17-2008, 14:52
Happy St. Pattys Day hiker trash! May your day be filled with drunken hiking just stay away from the ledges. Erin Go Bragh!:banana

Mags
03-17-2008, 14:57
A great Simpson's quote:

"Top o' the mornin' to ye on this gray, drizzly afternoon. Kent O'Brockman live on Main Street, where today, everyone is a little bit Irish! Except, of course, for the gays and the Italians."

O' Magnanti does have an odd ring to it...

Maybe I'll make some (green) pesto sauce tonight. :D

Have a wonderful St. Patties Day (however you choose to celebrate it!)

Foyt20
03-17-2008, 15:08
I "celebrated" on saturday, so im all "celebrated" out.

JAK
03-17-2008, 15:09
Happy St. Patrick's Day all, from Canada's most Irish city.

mlkelley
03-17-2008, 15:11
Happy St. Patrick's Day all, from Canada's most Irish city.

How Irish is it?

aaroniguana
03-17-2008, 15:19
No, there are lots of us out here. Some of us don't celebrate St Patrick or his day. And no, I'm not Protestant.

hobojoe
03-17-2008, 15:22
So Irish that when the temp. goes below freezing only HALF of everyones coffee freezes.

Jason of the Woods
03-17-2008, 15:29
I'm not either, I'm agnostic, but man loosen up. Be Irish for a day. For me it's more about the remembrance of my heritage. I don't drink either.
No, there are lots of us out here. Some of us don't celebrate St Patrick or his day. And no, I'm not Protestant.

aaroniguana
03-17-2008, 15:39
I'm plenty loose. As a dedicated heathen I have the remembrance of the things St Patrick did. But I'll be happy with my corned beef and cabbage with potatoes and Jamie.

middle to middle
03-17-2008, 15:42
lighten up folks. party harty !

Gray Blazer
03-17-2008, 17:12

I'm an American and I celebrate St. Patty's Day.:D

saimyoji
03-17-2008, 17:18
Deep Irish roots here. But I too am an American. I celebrate my Irish heritage often....don't need any special day to remind me. Like Mother's Day, I try not to limit myself to one day a year. I am currently being as Irish as I can though. :cool:

quasarr
03-17-2008, 17:18
in a few hours I'll be checking out the car bomb specials at the local watering holes! :banana:banana

Mags
03-17-2008, 17:22
I'm an American and I celebrate St. Patty's Day.:D

That's OK. It is mainly Americans who celebrate St. Patty's Day. :)

More of a religious holiday in Ireland. The green beer, partying and raucous parades are more of an American spin on the holiday (As is corn beef and cabbage).

Dublin did not not even have a parade until the 1990s. (Too many American tourists coming to Ireland to celebrate. :D )

http://www.history.com/minisite.do?content_type=Minisite_Generic&content_type_id=851&display_order=2&mini_id=1082

Since it is more an Irish-American holiday, I present a kick ass Irish-American band from that most Irish-American of cities - Boston!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-64CaD8GXw

Enjoy!

aaroniguana
03-17-2008, 17:29
I'm a heathen American of Irish exatraction and I celebrate Evacuation Day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evacuation_Day_%28Massachusetts%29

But the smell of corned beef and cabbage is permeating the house, and the Jameson is waiting to be opened.

saimyoji
03-17-2008, 17:30
Best description of one's nationality....from Casablanca....

Strasser: "What is your nationality?"

Rick: "I'm a drunkard."

Jaybird62
03-17-2008, 17:44
I aint irish, but i just may be on my way to joining you in the celebratory state of mind. To all,......have a great time tonight and keep it safe:)

JAK
03-17-2008, 17:45
How Irish is it?Genetically we are 38% Irish, with at least 50% of us having at least one Irish grandparent.
http://personal.nbnet.nb.ca/rmcusack/Story-37.html

Here is the complete series of stories that ran in out local paper ten years ago:
http://personal.nbnet.nb.ca/rmcusack/OFIindex.html

leeki pole
03-17-2008, 17:46
From a true Irishman:
"There's only two kinds of people on St. Patrick's Day;
Those who are Irish, and those who wish they were.":)
Enjoy the day!

Jaybird62
03-17-2008, 17:48
From a true Irishman:
Enjoy the day!
We all probly got a little in us:cool::p

T-Dubs
03-17-2008, 17:58
We all probly got a little in us:cool::p

My paternal grandmother was Mary Kelly; on my mother's side we got Hostetlers and Seekamps. We start drinking on St. Patrick's day and finish up around Oktoberfest. Or is it the other way around?

We try to hold up our end, regardless.

TWS

Bumpa
03-17-2008, 18:12
Jak...the people of St John's NFLD. might feel free to argue the point of Canada's most Irish city. My wife and I are heading to Belfast for a couple of weeks prior to me heading South for my Spring section...Bumpa

Jason of the Woods
03-17-2008, 18:19
I am Irish all year too. Today is just an excuse for me to rub in everyones face for my ancestors that were heavily discriminated against when they came to this country. It could be worse. I could be out drinking and fighting like the ancestors that I speak of. Instead I am packing for a long trip in the woods.:D

Deep Irish roots here. But I too am an American. I celebrate my Irish heritage often....don't need any special day to remind me. Like Mother's Day, I try not to limit myself to one day a year. I am currently being as Irish as I can though. :cool:

kayak karl
03-17-2008, 19:37
May brooks and trees and singing hills
Join in the chorus too,
And every gentle wind that blows
Send happiness to you.

Happy Saint Patricks Day
Kayak

astrogirl
03-17-2008, 19:38
Happy St. Pattys Day hiker trash! May your day be filled with drunken hiking just stay away from the ledges. Erin Go Bragh!:banana

We went to the Dogtown parade today. It's at noon on a Monday and it's full of kids, adults, every Irish person in St. Louis.

Drinking in the morning is beyond me though. I waited until noon. :D

vonfrick
03-17-2008, 19:41
meh, it's always noon somewhere!! ;)

Patrickjd9
03-17-2008, 19:51
Deep Irish roots here. But I too am an American. I celebrate my Irish heritage often....don't need any special day to remind me. Like Mother's Day, I try not to limit myself to one day a year.

I'm with you.

The corned beef and cabbage dinner was yesterday. I just packaged the leftover's for tomorrow's lunch! I've managed only one beer in the past week, though:eek:.

God willing, when my time comes. they'll plant me in the ground within a couple of hundred miles of where I'm sitting right now.

Guess that makes me an American.

Tin Man
03-17-2008, 19:52
Happy St. Patrick's Day!

I just finished my corned beef and cabbage, potatoes and carrots. Yummy!

Tin Man
03-17-2008, 19:58
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3608&stc=1&d=1205798255

woodsy
03-17-2008, 20:15
Best description of one's nationality....from Casablanca....

Strasser: "What is your nationality?"

Rick: "I'm a drunkard."
Here is my favorite,
Rick: "I ain't just any ol drunk, I'm a sloppy drunk!"

Jason of the Woods
03-17-2008, 23:22
Awe that's fun. I lived in St Louis for a while. Good Stuff. And yes, even I wait until noon.;)
We went to the Dogtown parade today. It's at noon on a Monday and it's full of kids, adults, every Irish person in St. Louis.

Drinking in the morning is beyond me though. I waited until noon. :D

berninbush
03-18-2008, 00:36
Just for fun...

... here's the true story of St. Patrick, in his own words.

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/patrick/confession.txt

A lot of people don't realize that he wasn't actually Irish... he was taken to Ireland as a slave, but he was originally Roman-British.

warraghiyagey
03-18-2008, 00:37
Erin Go Bragh!:banana
Erin Go Braghless!

:banana:banana

warraghiyagey
03-18-2008, 00:40
Here is my favorite,
Rick: "I ain't just any ol drunk, I'm a sloppy drunk!"

"But officer, I had to drunk. I was too drive to walk."

bswilarmy
03-18-2008, 01:00
From a true Irishman:
Enjoy the day!
well im scottish which means we drink as much and stayed on the island to fight the brits!! have a safe party day...oops paty's day.

bswilarmy
03-18-2008, 01:02

warrag you MASShole where have you been. glad to see you're back. we needed more sarcastic humor!!:welcome

warraghiyagey
03-18-2008, 01:06
warrag you MASShole where have you been. glad to see you're back. we needed more sarcastic humor!!:welcome
Had to go on metaphoric walkabout. Thanks though. It's good to be back. As I've said before, this is about the su total of my social life.
Yikes.
I'll give anyone a dollar that can point me to that smilies link I use to have. Lost it in translation.:o:p:sun

freefall
03-18-2008, 02:04
I wear Orange and Green!
(look it up if ya don know)

That's OK. It is mainly Americans who celebrate St. Patty's Day. :)

More of a religious holiday in Ireland. The green beer, partying and raucous parades are more of an American spin on the holiday (As is corn beef and cabbage).

Dublin did not not even have a parade until the 1990s. (Too many American tourists coming to Ireland to celebrate. :D )

http://www.history.com/minisite.do?content_type=Minisite_Generic&content_type_id=851&display_order=2&mini_id=1082

Since it is more an Irish-American holiday, I present a kick ass Irish-American band from that most Irish-American of cities - Boston!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-64CaD8GXw

Enjoy!

Jason of the Woods
03-18-2008, 10:02
That's got to be the best one. Good Stuff!

Mags
03-18-2008, 10:24
I wear Orange and Green!
(look it up if ya don know)

I suggest wearing all orange on St. Patty's Day in some the neighborhoods of Beantown that are rumored to funnel money for the IRA. Much hilarity will sure to be had!

Myself? I am trying to find zeppole (http://riroads.com/members/stjosephsday.htm) tomorrow. I doubt I'll be successful.

c.coyle
03-18-2008, 13:42

Amateur hour, like New Year's Eve.

Belated Sláinte to everyone.

Jason of the Woods
03-18-2008, 14:59
I agree which is why I was on the couch and have been for about 10 years now.;)
Amateur hour, like New Year's Eve.

Belated Sláinte to everyone.

quasarr
03-18-2008, 14:59
at one bar, Irish Car Bombs were on special for $5!!! :banana:banana

Jason of the Woods
03-18-2008, 16:28
I hope that you had one for me.;)
at one bar, Irish Car Bombs were on special for $5!!! :banana:banana

warraghiyagey
03-19-2008, 01:37
That's got to be the best one. Good Stuff!

But I thought this one was funnier.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/wootrock.gif

Erin Go Braghless!

:banana:banana

quasarr
03-19-2008, 11:56
I hope that you had one for me.;)

I sure did have one for you! and one for my best friend, one for my co-workers, one for my middle school music teacher, one for my landlord, and I think I lost track about that point ... :-?

hobojoe
03-19-2008, 12:46
An Irishman walks into a bar in Dublin, orders three pints of Guinness and sits in the back of the room, drinking a sip out of each one in turn. When he finishes them, he comes back to the bar and orders three more.The bartender approaches and tells him, “You know, a pint goes flat after I draw it; it would taste better if you bought one at a time.”
The Irishman replies, “Well, you see, I have two brothers. One is in America, the other in Australia, and I’m here in Dublin. When we all left home, we promised that we’d drink this way to remember the days when we drank together. So I drinks one for each o’ me brothers and one for me self.”
The bartender admits that this is a nice custom, and leaves it there. The Irishman becomes a regular in the bar, and always drinks the same way: He orders three pints and drinks them in turn.
One day, he comes in and orders two pints. All the other regulars take notice and fall silent. When he comes back to the bar for the second round, the bartender says, “I don’t want to intrude on your grief, but I wanted to offer my condolences on your great loss.”
The Irishman looks quite puzzled for a moment, then a light dawns in his eye and he laughs. “Oh, no, everybody’s just fine,” He explains, “It’s just that I quit drinking. ‘Hasn’t affected me brothers a bit though”

Mags
03-19-2008, 16:50
A little late..but still good:

http://www.avclub.com/content/videocracy/4721

(In an odd, yet pleasing, way)

bswilarmy
03-19-2008, 17:51
An Irishman walks into a bar in Dublin, orders three pints of Guinness and sits in the back of the room, drinking a sip out of each one in turn. When he finishes them, he comes back to the bar and orders three more.The bartender approaches and tells him, “You know, a pint goes flat after I draw it; it would taste better if you bought one at a time.”
The Irishman replies, “Well, you see, I have two brothers. One is in America, the other in Australia, and I’m here in Dublin. When we all left home, we promised that we’d drink this way to remember the days when we drank together. So I drinks one for each o’ me brothers and one for me self.”
The bartender admits that this is a nice custom, and leaves it there. The Irishman becomes a regular in the bar, and always drinks the same way: He orders three pints and drinks them in turn.
One day, he comes in and orders two pints. All the other regulars take notice and fall silent. When he comes back to the bar for the second round, the bartender says, “I don’t want to intrude on your grief, but I wanted to offer my condolences on your great loss.”
The Irishman looks quite puzzled for a moment, then a light dawns in his eye and he laughs. “Oh, no, everybody’s just fine,” He explains, “It’s just that I quit drinking. ‘Hasn’t affected me brothers a bit though”

great bar joke!!!:D