PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a down bag

Jaybird62
03-17-2008, 16:42
I am in the market for a down bag, and was wondering what y'all would recommend. I have been looking some, and am thinking about either a marmot or feathered friends.

KevinAce
03-17-2008, 16:51
I'm a buy guy and just got a Big Agnes Zirkel SL. It's on the way to me now. I read a ton of posts on here and quite a few people recommended them for bigger guys. It has a 73" chest measurement. It's rated for 20F and weighs in at only 1 lb 14 oz for the regular version of 2 lb 1 oz for the long version. With that and the pad, you're looking to pay around $400.

What's your budget? What temperature do you need? What type of build are you?

Freeleo
03-17-2008, 16:53
i use the FF winter wren and love it

saimyoji
03-17-2008, 17:02
Definitely don't use down in the summer. (and if you disagree with me you are an idiot and should go die....but HYOH :rolleyes:) Your sweat and grime will muck it up requiring more cleaning, synthetics are easier to clean.

In winter, use down. I just got a marmot pinnacle this past fall and love it.

http://www.google.com/products?q=marmot+pinnacle&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1

You'll need to consider your usage (how cold, how wet, how expensive) of the bag before you buy. I love winter camping, so the 15* rating, and this bag goes lower than 15* but you can use it as a quilt when its warmer.

Jaybird62
03-17-2008, 17:04
I'm a buy guy and just got a Big Agnes Zirkel SL. It's on the way to me now. I read a ton of posts on here and quite a few people recommended them for bigger guys. It has a 73" chest measurement. It's rated for 20F and weighs in at only 1 lb 14 oz for the regular version of 2 lb 1 oz for the long version. With that and the pad, you're looking to pay around $400.

I would like to try and keep it around 300 for the bag. I was thinking that if I bought a 20 or 15 degree bag that had good ventilation(full zipper,...), that I could use it year round. I am 6'3" 230lbs. I just bought a big agnes insulated air core pad, so maybe big agnes is the way to go.

Cuffs
03-18-2008, 10:02
Try Montbell, their Hugger line. Also, Sierra Designs just came out with a competitor stretchy bag...

Cowgirl
03-18-2008, 16:32
I bought a FF bag back in '93 and it has held up great to pretty heavy use over the years.

highway
03-18-2008, 16:37
Feathered Friends Wren, overstuffed, I have used and abused it for the last 5 years and it is still going strong. I would say it is about 30F rated and I have slept well at colder than that in it. The zipper is in the middle where they all should be and you can wear it like a coat on pee trips at night and with the drawstring foot is perfect to get in and out of a hammock with. They are hand made and pricey but worth every penny in my estimation. If i ever replace it it will be with another identical to it. It weighs a hair less than 2 pounds, since it is slightly overstuffed.

Jaybird62
03-18-2008, 17:22
Thanks for all the replies. It seems like there are a lot of really good bags out there. How long do you think the elasticity of the "hugger" type bags will last? It seems like a good idea to have that give-probably really comfortable, I just wonder how long it will stay snug against your body.

envirodiver
03-18-2008, 18:07

Keep an eye on www.steepandcheap.com (http://www.steepandcheap.com) they seem to have great deals on Big Agnes bags periodically. I bought my BA crater down 15 deg bag with a full length Hinman self inflating pad for about $150.00. That was a real good deal.

KevinAce
03-18-2008, 18:41
I would like to try and keep it around 300 for the bag. I was thinking that if I bought a 20 or 15 degree bag that had good ventilation(full zipper,...), that I could use it year round. I am 6'3" 230lbs. I just bought a big agnes insulated air core pad, so maybe big agnes is the way to go.Mine should be here tomorrow. I'll let you know how it fits me and what I think of it once it arrives! I'm convinced it'll be a great fit for me.

Jester2000
03-18-2008, 18:50
Just got a Lafuma 950. It's a 850 down bag, rated at 15 degrees, comfy, roomy, full zip, 2lb, 2 oz.

Bright orange so you won't lose it.

It's pretty cheap, too, for what it is.

Tipi Walter
03-18-2008, 19:01
I guess it's all right to have two bags, one for the summer and one for the winter. But in the old days when I was dirt poor I had to find one bag for the four seasons so I picked the warmest down bag I could afford(North Face Ibex)and used it in the summer, too. It worked in the summer and probably got dirtier, but what the heck, that bag lasted me 20 years and was washed only once.

My second bag was a Marmot Couloir, a fine bag made by a fine company. I believe Marmot uses premium down but is still less expensive than the best Feathered Friends or Western Mountaineering bags. A good zero rated down bag is probably the biggest ticket to freedom in the outdoors, with it you can go anywhere, from the coldest to the hottest, and it'll be there for you when conditions tip into high elevation winds and frigid spring and autumn nights.

And a warmer down bag can be thrown on like a quilt on cool to cold nights to you won't have to stay zipped up like a, well, mummy. I sure like using my bag(s)this way, as a blanket, and only zip up the beast when the temps get seriously low.

LIhikers
03-18-2008, 19:25
Last fall I got a Montbell, ultralight, superstretch, downhugger #2.
It's an 8oo down bag rated at 25 degrees that I've used at 13 degrees and been comfortable with a base layer on. It weighs in at a little less than 2 pounds, packs small, and is very comfortable.

Wise Old Owl
03-18-2008, 19:48
Definitely don't use down in the summer. (and if you disagree with me you are an idiot and should go die....but HYOH :rolleyes:) Your sweat and grime will muck it up requiring more cleaning, synthetics are easier to clean.

In winter, use down. I just got a marmot pinnacle this past fall and love it.

You'll need to consider your usage (how cold, how wet, how expensive) of the bag before you buy. I love winter camping, so the 15* rating, and this bag goes lower than 15* but you can use it as a quilt when its warmer.

Apparently this is a problem for you, Have you considered an old bed sheet cut & sewn into a Elephant's foot shape and jumped into it first before putting on the sleeping bag? Or jump into a nearby stream with some Ivory Soap. Consider for a moment why they do make ultra light weight down three season bags! Some people that are are uncomfortable to cold even in summer. Imagine for a moment someone who has lived in a very hot country most of their lives and suddenly came to Maine. Or just sleep on top and jump in if you get a chill.

Oh look I am still alive and my IQ is still a Hoot!http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/footG.jpg

rafe
03-18-2008, 20:27
There are a lot of great down bags out there. Look for deals at a place like www.campsaver.com. A good clue to the quality is the down fill rating; the higher the better (800 is generally the highest.)

greentick
03-21-2008, 18:17
Try Montbell, their Hugger line. Also, Sierra Designs just came out with a competitor stretchy bag...

I may be wrong but I think the ad I saw for the SD bag said it was made for them by montbell.

I have a WM Ultralight Super long 20* that I went to about 10-15* with just silkweights and stayed nice and warm except for some toes that slipped off my pad and were laying on the ground. I sleep on the warm side so ymmv.

paulbrown137
03-21-2008, 18:36
I have a WM Ponderosa. Oh so warm, roomy, and comfortable. 2.5 lbs. more roomy than the big agnes bags that claim more girth. I had a BA Mystic that was returned

I also have a Marmot Hydrogen, i'm a big guy (shoulders and hips) and it fits better than other mummies i've been in including the WM Megalite. The Marmot bags in this series (atom, hydrogen, helium) just got the backpacker gold award. I actually agree with them on this. With some clothing (down jacket, hat, etc) it is comfortable for me into the low 20s. Great hood. The sarcophogus shape gives more room through the shoulders and hips than other mummies.

I believe the Marmot Pinnacle is similar and seems to be in line with your requirements. 15 degree rating, 2.5 lbs, full zipper, I got into one at the local REI. this thing is a heater, but can be zipped open and used as a quilt. Well built bag. Normally $300, but REI has the 20% off coupon right now. That takes it down to $240 + tax. ship it to a local REI for free.

there might even be better deals on the net. didn't look

dloome
03-22-2008, 20:08
Any of the Sierra Designs bags in the 800 fill down line: NICE bags. Really nice. I dig the Nitro 30.

The Mountain Hardwear Phantom line of bags is pretty darn good as well.