PDA

View Full Version : East Tennessee Hikers

sansancc
03-17-2008, 16:53
:welcomeHello all, its starting to warm up again and the sun is getting warmer every day. I live just outside of Gatlinbug, and I'm looking for someone to hook up with for a few day and overnight trips in the area. If your interested give me a shout and well hook up sometime.

Keep it green :D
Sansan

Rain Man
03-17-2008, 21:24
Wife and I are hiking from Carver's Gap to Hwy 19E this Friday and Saturday, if you're interested. Another friend will be hiking with us the first day, then back to his car.

We're only doing 5 or 6 miles the first day to Overmountain Shelter. The second day is about 8 or 9 miles.

I'll be back the next week if possible to go from 19E to at least Kincora in Dennis Cove, but right now that looks to be by myself.

Rain:sunMan

sansancc
03-20-2008, 08:42
Gotta work on the weekend, sorry. Maybe next time

kytrailman
03-21-2008, 07:07
Will be going from Newfound Gap to HOt Springs ( or further) March 31--????. Plan on spending a night on MtLeconte for a side trip the first night, then back on the AT north.

satchmo
03-21-2008, 22:52
Will be going from Newfound Gap to HOt Springs ( or further) March 31--????. Plan on spending a night on MtLeconte for a side trip the first night, then back on the AT north.

Lodge or shelter?

sansancc
03-22-2008, 14:00
Never stay at shelters, I always use my tent

Bearpaw
03-23-2008, 13:15
Never stay at shelters, I always use my tent

Then don't do the AT in the Smokies. You're supposed to use the shelters unless you are a thru-hiker and the shelters are full. And BTW, the thru-hiker "season" when tenting is allowed is only March through May.

Now granted, I've only encountered a ranger once in many trips along the AT in the Smokies, and I don't know what they would do if you were found there off-permit (Maybe a warning, maybe a fine), but it's worth knowing about the rules, such as they are, in the park for AT hikers.

Yahtzee
03-23-2008, 15:45
I did go off trail in '03 and ran into a couple of rangers on horseback at the base of the Hazel Creek Trail. We had all our crap laid out and were cooking lunch. There could be no mistaking that we were long-distance hikers.

They didn't even register that we existed. They just trotted right on by. Guess it depends on the ranger and your luck.

chili36
03-29-2008, 13:46
The ridge runner makes it a point to visit the shelters. I have never had a problem with them, but I do know they have the capacity to radio for a ranger if there is something they think needs to be addressed.