PDA

View Full Version : no back pack

someday
01-21-2004, 16:27
Haven't backpacked much. Trying to go lighter. What would be the pro's and con's of just strapping waterproof bags of gear to an external frame and not having an actual bag that you stuff things into?

Percival
01-21-2004, 17:21
Haven't backpacked much. Trying to go lighter. What would be the pro's and con's of just strapping waterproof bags of gear to an external frame and not having an actual bag that you stuff things into?
Good idea. Eliminate the backpack altogether. Who needs all that baggage anyhow.

chris
01-21-2004, 17:46
This is more common that you might think. Still, if you want to go light and have already reduced your other gear, an ultralight frameless pack would be the way to go. I used a ULA Zenith on the PCT last summer and loved it. 19 oz and uses a Z-rest as a partial frame sheet, but it isn't made anymore, although ULA did replace it with another Z-rest (any pad, actually) frame sheet pack called the Fusion (super cool), but that weighs in at 2 lbs. Should be able to carry alot more weight with it. A Golite Gust is pretty cheap, big, and light. There are fans of the Gearskin on this forum as well. The GVP G4 is also big, light, and cheap. If you like the way that an exteral frame rides, then your idea is probably the way to go. I don't like how external frames ride and want a pack that will carry the weight closer to my body and lower down on it. So, I carry a rucksack instead.

someday
01-21-2004, 18:40
Chris, I don't know if I've reduced my weight enough as I don't own a scale. I've ordered an antigravitygear pot, cozy and pepsi can stove, husband (sherpa ?) will carry Cloudburst tarp tent, currently use Feathered Friends 0* bag as I sleep cold. Is this stuff considered lt.? Any suggestions from anyone are appreciated. So with clothes, food, water I don't know if it would fit in ultra-lt. pack so I thought maybe strap whatever I need to a frame.

Miss Janet
01-21-2004, 23:22
Check out the Dana Designs Race X

Happy
01-22-2004, 02:03
Someday, it sounds like you qualify, but depends on your water system, clothes and sleeping system...if your total base weight is under 15-16 lbs...go for the system Chris mentioned.

2Ply
01-22-2004, 07:01
check out the strappack that cedertree makes, it sounds just like what you are taking about only with a soft frame.
http://www.thepacka.com/strappack/index.html

Cedar Tree
01-22-2004, 07:19
Thanks for the Plug 2ply. The original strappack actually works very well as a pack, its very lightweight and comfortable. For the long haul, durability may be an issue. However, I did 30 miles with one in Oct. and it worked very for me so I was pleased. With regards to suspending it between trees as a sleeping platform, I still have a few issues to workout, but I have made some recent improvements and I still think it may become a viable product.
However, I have a totally new pack design too. It is so new, I don't have any pictures of it yet. I've only made two of these new packs so far, mainly because I've been so swamped lately with custom Packa orders. My new pack is not designed to be a hammock too, just a sleeping pad/pack combination. I'll try to post some pictures to the Packa website this weekend.

Blue Jay
01-22-2004, 08:37

That is exactly what I do. A pack is a complete waste of weight.

chris
01-22-2004, 10:45
Chris, I don't know if I've reduced my weight enough as I don't own a scale. I've ordered an antigravitygear pot, cozy and pepsi can stove, husband (sherpa ?) will carry Cloudburst tarp tent, currently use Feathered Friends 0* bag as I sleep cold. Is this stuff considered lt.? Any suggestions from anyone are appreciated. So with clothes, food, water I don't know if it would fit in ultra-lt. pack so I thought maybe strap whatever I need to a frame.

There are generally two problems to using an ultralight rucksack: Weight and volume. If your base gear starts to get above 17-18 lbs, when loaded with food, water, and fuel it will start to be a bit uncomfortable. You can still use a light weigh pack, though. ULA makes two really nice ones (P2, Fusion). If you have bulky, but light, gear, then your the little rucksack won't be able to hold it all comfortably. It sounds like you are well on your way to a lighter pack. Keep an eye on your clothes: It is very easy to simply bring too much and pick up a lot of weight there. Water containers are another way to pick up unexpected weight. If you have a bathroom scale, weigh yourself. Then put your base gear in a trash bag, and step onto the scale with it. See how much the total weighs. If your gear weighs less than 20 lbs, you're in the right range. If you don't want to make more cuts in gear, try one of the partially framed, light weight pack. The ones from ULA are good (this is what I would do if I was around 20lbs), the Mountainsmith Ghost has gotten good reviews, and Dana, GoLite, GraniteGear, and Gregory all have lightweight, low volume backs of various reputes (i haven't used them).

Note: You can take a look at my gear list for the PCT last summer at http://mypage.iu.edu/~chwillet/travel/PCT/gear.html

Base weight is around 11 lbs. This is more or less than what I would take on the AT. You can see the gear I did take on my AT section hike at
http://mypage.iu.edu/~chwillet/AT/gear.html

The base weight was 18-19 lbs, depending on when weighed.

someday
01-22-2004, 14:25
Thanks for all the info. All of you are so helpful to us beginners. When the grandkids go home I think I'll round up all my gear and put it in a trash bag and weigh it. Never thought of that. Thanks for all the tips.

Grimace
01-23-2004, 10:27
This is another design that seems right up your alley. It's a harness systemt hat you fold your gear into. It is awesome and highlyrecommended by a few on this site. Do a search in the Gear Review section for Gearskin.

Also check out www.moonbowgear.com

Rambler
02-05-2004, 01:13
A Golite breeze for $35 is a bargain. The larger size has longer shoulder straps for more adjustment. Golite Breeze (http://mtrogersoutfitters.com/gear.asp?fn=l&cat=1) The Breeze listed is a size medium. Call golite to have them recommend a fit. My personal favorite is the pack from sixmoondesigns. It has a pocket for a z-rest pad and options for a "harness".light pack (sixmoondesigns.com)