PDA

View Full Version : Corporate donors

dessertrat
03-17-2008, 20:56
I tried this once, did a long post, and it crapped out on me. . . let's try it again:

How do you learn who gives what annually to the ATC and local chapters? I want to see that corporations such as REI, EMS, MSR, etc., are actually supporting the trails their customers use.

Sources? Ideas?

Appalachian Tater
03-17-2008, 21:10
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/cf/%7BD25B4747-42A3-4302-8D48-EF35C0B0D9F1%7D/ATC%202006%20annual%20report%20web.pdf

That's for 2006. 2007 may not be out yet.

You could get information from local trail clubs by contacting them if it is not available on the internet.

Tabasco
03-17-2008, 21:13
I read it every couple of months in AT Journeys.

Mar-April 2008 info
Diamond level 25,000 and up Environmental Systems Research Institute

Platinum level 10k- 25k 4 different givers

Gold 5k-10k 2 givers

yada yada yada, its all in the Journeys mag. which I get for making my annual donation to the ATC

dessertrat
03-17-2008, 21:28
I got Journeys today too, which is what got me thinking about it. But I wanted to see where annual figures were, not just for two months.

dessertrat
03-17-2008, 21:33
Glad to see that REI gives a lot of money. Chagrined to see that MSR is completely absent, along with a number of other large companies who make a lot of money selling to AT hikers.

I think I might just take it upon myself to write some of these companies a letter (the non-donating companies) and point out to them that people actually notice this stuff, and ask them if they plan to do anything differently in the future.

weary
03-17-2008, 22:00
I got Journeys today too, which is what got me thinking about it. But I wanted to see where annual figures were, not just for two months.
Having read the reports for many years, it is my impression that LL Bean has given the most over the years. I know LL Bean is a major contributor to the maintenance of the trail in Maine.

I also know the ATC is having budget problems, which suggests that more is needed from some. After investing many thousands in the effort to protect Redington and Black Nubble, ATC said it could not contribute to the final successful defense, saying it had no money to do so. That burden was paid for entirely by contributors to the Maine Appalachian Trail Club.

Weary

dessertrat
03-17-2008, 22:06
Cases of that nature are expensive to litigate if they end up in the Courts. Depending upon the type of case, you may be facing very wealthy corporations with white shoe law firms and expensive hired gun experts to go to court for them. I have a client who has kept an environmentally sensitive property from being developed for eight years now, by fighting the developer at every stage, but it has cost him a lot of money. It is in the appellate courts now.

weary
03-17-2008, 22:28
Cases of that nature are expensive to litigate if they end up in the Courts. Depending upon the type of case, you may be facing very wealthy corporations with white shoe law firms and expensive hired gun experts to go to court for them. I have a client who has kept an environmentally sensitive property from being developed for eight years now, by fighting the developer at every stage, but it has cost him a lot of money. It is in the appellate courts now.
There was no court appeal. It was all before a quasi judicial board. The board staff urged approval, the board rejected that recommendation and asked for language that would justify rejection.

That was provided, and eventually approved. In the meantime the developer, who had little money of his own, tried a maneuver designed to keep the project alive, so he could attempt to find a new financial backer.

MATC's lawyer managed to squash that effort, though it cost us a few more thousands.

MATC only has 600 members who pay $15 a year (a yearly total of $9,000)for the privilege of working on the Maine trail. The rest of our $200,000 annual budget comes from begging outfits like LL Bean, some help on state lands from the state, and funds from the National Park Service.

The Redington battle cost us an extra $100,000 last year -- not an easy amount to come up with. ATC helped initially, then bowed out.

Weary

Stir Fry
03-17-2008, 22:32
Glad to see that REI gives a lot of money. Chagrined to see that MSR is completely absent, along with a number of other large companies who make a lot of money selling to AT hikers.

I think I might just take it upon myself to write some of these companies a letter (the non-donating companies) and point out to them that people actually notice this stuff, and ask them if they plan to do anything differently in the future.

Post a list so others can do the same.

Tinker
03-17-2008, 22:42
REI used to OWN MSR. If they still do, that may be the reason you don't see MSR as a sponsor to environmental protection.

Appalachian Tater
03-17-2008, 22:43

I think I might just take it upon myself to write some of these companies a letter (the non-donating companies) and point out to them that people actually notice this stuff, and ask them if they plan to do anything differently in the future.It might be a good idea to find out from them what non-profits they do support first. For instance, MSR supports many trail-related organizations such as the American Hiking Society and Leave No Trace, among others. Some of the organizations it supports may then fund local trail club projects.

http://www.msrgear.com/about/community.aspx

dessertrat
03-17-2008, 23:12
Tinker and Tater: you are right in that it is complicated as to who owns whom, etc., and no company can give to every worthy cause. But I don't think I saw any of the pack makers on there except for Osprey. No Kelty, no Gregory, nor North Face (who should be swimming in money now) no Granite Gear (!). No Eureka? No Coleman? I know some of these companies are smaller, and some are bigger. I would like to see at least a symbolic donation from the small but popular companies such as GG, GoLite, etc. Maybe some of them give to the local affiliates.

Someone should put together all the data on this, and orchestrate letter writing campaigns. And since I have the time, I guess it should be me, once the 2007 reports come out.

Jason of the Woods
03-17-2008, 23:44
I donate quite a bit and I'm just me.;) It is sad the money that they make and the amount that actually goes back. Not all but most of them have this mentallity. I for one won't buy anything from companies that don't donate a reasonable amount. It's not that hard to take your business elsewhere and that beats any letter.
Tinker and Tater: you are right in that it is complicated as to who owns whom, etc., and no company can give to every worthy cause. But I don't think I saw any of the pack makers on there except for Osprey. No Kelty, no Gregory, nor North Face (who should be swimming in money now) no Granite Gear (!). No Eureka? No Coleman? I know some of these companies are smaller, and some are bigger. I would like to see at least a symbolic donation from the small but popular companies such as GG, GoLite, etc. Maybe some of them give to the local affiliates.

Someone should put together all the data on this, and orchestrate letter writing campaigns. And since I have the time, I guess it should be me, once the 2007 reports come out.

dessertrat
03-17-2008, 23:49
I donate quite a bit and I'm just me.;) It is sad the money that they make and the amount that actually goes back. Not all but most of them have this mentallity. I for one won't buy anything from companies that don't donate a reasonable amount. It's not that hard to take your business elsewhere and that beats any letter.

Of course the letter points out to them that you will take your business elsewhere, and encourage others to do the same, if the failure to contribute continues. That you will remember, when choosing between two products, that one manufacturer donated and the other didn't. It doesn't help to take your business elsewhere while not telling them why you are doing so.

JDCool1
03-18-2008, 00:21
Having dealt with non-profit groups all of my life, I know that they all are always short of available funds. Any trail organization can always use more, especially when it is called upon to protect its cause in court. We all enjoy the trails and should make them and the organiztions that work to maintain and protect part of our financial responsibility. Let me encourage all who use the AT and the other trails to send a gift of time, talent, or financial treasure annually. Some can give 100's, 1000's, some can give a ten spot or volunteer on a maintenance crew. The need is real, give whatever one is able will help a lot. Interesting to note that WB is dependent on its users' gifts. On reviewing this thread I find only two of us as donating members. How about a little help from the rests of you. Take a look at the "Members List" and see if you need to send a gift. The percentages will shock you.

Feral Bill
03-18-2008, 09:54
I believe that many outdoor buisnesses used to donate to an industry group thay funded various trail organizations. Some companies donations may not show up as a result. Still true?

dessertrat
03-18-2008, 09:57
Having dealt with non-profit groups all of my life, I know that they all are always short of available funds. Any trail organization can always use more, especially when it is called upon to protect its cause in court. We all enjoy the trails and should make them and the organiztions that work to maintain and protect part of our financial responsibility. Let me encourage all who use the AT and the other trails to send a gift of time, talent, or financial treasure annually. Some can give 100's, 1000's, some can give a ten spot or volunteer on a maintenance crew. The need is real, give whatever one is able will help a lot. Interesting to note that WB is dependent on its users' gifts. On reviewing this thread I find only two of us as donating members. How about a little help from the rests of you. Take a look at the "Members List" and see if you need to send a gift. The percentages will shock you.

I've donated to WhiteBlaze, it just doesn't show up for some reason by my avatar. I'm on the list though.

Appalachian Tater
03-18-2008, 10:28
I've donated to WhiteBlaze, it just doesn't show up for some reason by my avatar. I'm on the list though.That's because you change it to clarify "dessert" vs. desert. Your name is in green on a color monitor. I highly recommend a color monitor to take really take full advantage of the internet.

dessertrat
03-18-2008, 10:34
That's because you change it to clarify "dessert" vs. desert. Your name is in green on a color monitor. I highly recommend a color monitor to take really take full advantage of the internet.

I'll get that color monitor as soon as I get back from that PASCAL programming class this evening.

(Honestly, I never noticed the color difference. Someone said he only saw two whiteblaze donators on the thread, which is obviously not true by the "green" standard).

Appalachian Tater
03-18-2008, 10:50
I'll get that color monitor as soon as I get back from that PASCAL programming class this evening.

(Honestly, I never noticed the color difference. Someone said he only saw two whiteblaze donators on the thread, which is obviously not true by the "green" standard).I'm willing to bet he has an old monitor, too!

ki0eh
03-18-2008, 11:01
I suspect hiking is just too cheap to attract major financial support because not enough seem to make money from it - looking around on the trail it seems gear ho's are a minority - although possibly over-represented in forums. :)

However, speaking for my experience on the PA Mid State Trail a lot of volunteer help is directed our way through outfitters. REI's Bedford distribution center employees have been out in force already on MST even before their site became fully operational and that relationship holds great promise for the future. At the other end of the state and of the spectrum Wild Asaph Outfitters in Wellsboro, Pa. has been extremely helpful recruiting local hikers to help on MST and other paths in that area. MST still operates on the old fashioned scenario of needing more time than money so their help is much appreciated.

rafe
03-18-2008, 15:01
I sit here munching on "Bear Naked" Appalachian Trail Mix from Costco. On the back of the package are logos of ATC, CDTA, and PCTA and the following text:

Bear Naked has partnered with the following organizations to help conserve, build and maintain America's three classic long-distance trails. We call it the Triple Crown Project. Find out more at www.bearnaked.com/trailmix.

shelterbuilder
03-18-2008, 19:58
Another little-known fact about corporate donations: if they are made to the ATC, they will show up in the journal, but if they are made to an individual maintaining club, the donation will NOT show up, even if the donation goes directly into the footpath.

XL Insurance makes a corporate donation to ATC, but they are also partnering with BMECC again this year to work at several sites along the trail in Pa. (This is both a financial and manpower donation.) Two years ago, they worked at three different shelter sites and had 33 of their own people in the field; last year, they planted over 1,000 seedlings, made cosmetic repairs to the old power dam at Schubert's Gap, and cleaned up several parking lots; this year is still in the early planning stages, with a May 21st project date. They get recognized for the financial donation to the ATC, but not the funding and manpower contribution to BMECC.

So don't assume that, just because a company isn't listed with ATC, they aren't doing their share - they might be doing it quietly, in ways that "don't show up", so to speak.