PDA

View Full Version : NH - Liberty Springs Tentsite

Tobit
03-17-2008, 21:32
As soon as the majority of the snow melts, I'd like to use Liberty Springs as a base for an overnight while I explore Mts. Flume, Liberty, Little Haystack, Lincoln, and Lafayette. However, I am not familiar with the tent platforms the AMC uses. Would they be tarp friendly? I usually sleep under a tarp and don't presently own a self-supporting tent. I assume I am forced to use a platform at a site that has them, correct? :-?

According to the AMC, Liberty Springs has no shelter, seven single platforms, three double platforms, composting outhouse, and a dish washing area.

Tobit
03-17-2008, 21:49
rocket21 over at VFTT just hiked this trail today and it doesn't have as much snow as I thought it would. Here's part of his report:

About a half an inch at the trailhead, about 2 inches starting near the campsites, and upwards of 6" in drifts on the Franconia Ridge Trail. Four blowdowns on the Liberty Springs Trail, all passable and all near the campsite area. One blowdown on the Franconia Ridge Trail to Mt. Liberty, passable.

Alligator
03-17-2008, 22:09
I stayed there once about 9-10 years ago, soooo this isn't exactly a fresh memory. I got the last tent platform. I was using a small solo Eureka shelter that was not free standing. I remember it being wooded but I can't recall how close the trees were. I was able to tie it off though to the platform. Sometimes these platforms have eye hooks added. You might be able to set up either pyramid style and tie off the corners or a modified A-frame with enough line. I think you do have to stay on the platforms.

Try PM'ing Terrapin, he says he has done Franconia Ridge a lot and may be able to answer your question.

KG4FAM
03-17-2008, 23:33
You may have to have some extra cord to tie way out to the far trees and the angles might be big so they are not ideal, but at least the water is good there.

warraghiyagey
03-18-2008, 00:26
For sure you'll need to bring extra tie off cord when you go there with a tarp.
You can use slim-line tent stakes between the platform planks but only for lateral tension not horizontal.
As you'll likely be the only camper there or at least one of just a couple you'll have your choice of platform that best accomodates your tarp. But you may need a 100' peice to tie off the peak of your tarp ands 4 or 6 short sections for your bottom.
Have a great hike. L. Springs is beautiful. Likely you'll also climb some icy rocky stream beds too, just so you know.

rafe
03-18-2008, 13:32
Last time I tented at Liberty Springs (probably 20 yrs. ago) it was probably with my ancient Eureka Timberline, which was mostly free-standing. These days I usually do the ridge as a day hike. IIRC, the platforms are constructed of 2x4s laid side by side, as in most decks.

Some ideas:
shove small twigs into the cracks between the 2x4s, and tie off to those.
carry eyebolts that you can thread into the spaces between the 2x4s.
carry extra line, and tie off to the 2x4s at the edges of the platform.
there may be eye-bolts...
(notwithstanding "ethical" issues... ;)) bring nails, and a tool to remove them in the AM.
there's probably an overflow area; if you explain your situation, the caretaker may let you set up there

Tobit
03-18-2008, 13:43
Thanks guys.

big_muddy
03-18-2008, 13:59
I was there in August, I had a non freestanding tent, and a friend had his tarp. With a lot of extra rope we were able to rig up our respective shelters. A freestanding tent would have been much much easier. That said a storm came up that night. You cannot rig up a tarp to be very storm protective on the platforms. The tentsite is on the slope of the mountain, so the platforms are the only flat space.

Old Hillwalker
03-18-2008, 15:46
rocket21 over at VFTT just hiked this trail today and it doesn't have as much snow as I thought it would. Here's part of his report:

Rocket21 was referring to fresh snow over a base of at least four feet of consolidated snow. We have depths up here in places at least twice that. New Hampshire is within about 8 inches of a hundred year record. I have four feet of snow in my yard here in Wentworth at 1500 feet elevation.

Tobit
03-18-2008, 15:52
Rocket21 was referring to fresh snow over a base of at least four feet of consolidated snow.
Gotcha, it seemed kind of low to me. :D Especially considering I still have 4' snow banks in my yard here in Manchester. I must have cabin fever bad. :eek:

Old Hillwalker
03-18-2008, 16:05
Looks like we will be on snowshoes in June.:-?

Tobit
03-18-2008, 16:27
I sure hope not. I have no gear for winter.. zilch, nada. I am very anxious for the snow to start melting at a decent clip so I can start hitting the trails. I'll deal with the mud.

rafe
03-18-2008, 16:28

In my experience, probably not. Crampons, maybe. First off, what snow is left by then will be very dense. Second, if you're talking Franconia ridge, the trails leading to it are all heavily traveled, so the snow will be compacted.

Christopher Robin
03-18-2008, 17:12
Also rebember after the first 1/4 mile is woods but after all rocks & some rocks is higher then steps & slippery. Tent sight #4 so up behind a group platform, the trees are close to the platform.

rafe
03-18-2008, 20:38
Another idea... go to your hardware store and get a package of these little guys (see attachment.) You can screw them into the platform by hand, and they'll make a negligible hole. The size shown in the thumbnail is very close to "actual size."

CrumbSnatcher
03-18-2008, 20:38
i usually stay here when i thru,the water is cold and good(no filtering needed)i use a zoid 2 non-free standing. ties off fine to the tent platforms i feel like i'm at basecamp when i camp here,its a good climb from the road and gives me a good start for a good sunrise on the ridge,and a big day. good luck with your tarping. i've seen you tarp guys get pretty creative.

Blissful
03-18-2008, 21:18
Most platforms have the eye hole type attachments along the sides of the platform to tie in. But I was very glad to have a free standing tent there. Won't help much to have a tarp in the high winds that the Whites get with changing fronts (we had some doozies of storms in August). If you are using it for a base site, suggest you consider a tent.

Tobit
03-18-2008, 23:31
Yeah, I've been debating getting a TarpTent Rainbow for quite some time and may just buy one. I love how you can freestand it.

warraghiyagey
03-19-2008, 01:15
Not likely. I grew on in the Tug Hill plateau in upstate NY. The 444" of snow we got in 1977, while the benchmark, is not much different than the 250 nto 350 we regularly measured. In my experience, 4 feet of snow takes about a day longer to melt than three feet. Heavy winter snow dissappears as quickly as an average winter once spring air flows in. A couple days more, tops.:)

Frosty
03-19-2008, 01:40
In my experience, probably not. Crampons, maybe. First off, what snow is left by then will be very dense. Second, if you're talking Franconia ridge, the trails leading to it are all heavily traveled, so the snow will be compacted.It always amuses me that time frame when the woods are clear of snow, but the trail is a 12 inch wide ribbon of ice/snow because the packed stuff takes longer to melt.

Actually, it doesn't amuse me. It annoys me.

warraghiyagey
03-19-2008, 01:52
Even a packed down trail melts more quickly than the snow under cover of the trees. Moreso because as the air warms it it breaks down faster under new footsteps than the snow untouched.
Then mud - likely more annoying than a simple opinion or experience.:)

The Old Fhart
03-19-2008, 11:25
Frosty-"It always amuses me that time frame when the woods are clear of snow, but the trail is a 12 inch wide ribbon of ice/snow because the packed stuff takes longer to melt.

Actually, it doesn't amuse me. It annoys me."Frosty is absolutely correct. Many times in the spring you will find that the trail in the woods is frozen and glassy while either side of the trail is completely bare. The snow and ice left in the trail can be quite thick in spots and you'll continually be slipping off into the dense evergreens lining the trail-a real PITA. You have to keep in mind that there are sections of the trail in the NE that are in thick spruce and get no more sun than the surrounding unpacked snow. Because the snow on the trail is so dense, virtually ice, it takes the trail much longer to clear.

Tin Man
03-19-2008, 12:13
I think in areas where the pine trees are dense, they act as a snow fence and the resulting drift is left in the middle of the trail. The drift in the middle of the trail is much deeper than the snow in the pines and takes longer to melt. At least this was my experience just below tree line on the north side of Moosilauke last May.

shwn354
03-19-2008, 13:17
instead of the platforms, you could go another .3 miles up to the ridge, and camp in the woods back there. its real quiet and sheltered from wind, and there are some good flat areas to set up your camp. you can feed the jays out of your hand in the morning.

CrumbSnatcher
03-19-2008, 13:28
instead of the platforms, you could go another .3 miles up to the ridge, and camp in the woods back there. its real quiet and sheltered from wind, and there are some good flat areas to set up your camp. you can feed the jays out of your hand in the morning.
stealth camping is great,but at what cost to the enviroment. thats why the tent platforms are .3 miles back down the ridge.

Tobit
03-19-2008, 13:33
stealth camping is great,but at what cost to the enviroment. thats why the tent platforms are .3 miles back down the ridge.
If one practices proper LNT methods, the impact is negligible.

CrumbSnatcher
03-19-2008, 13:38
i know alot of people stealth to save the money, instead of paying to stay.IMO instead of stealth camping(and possibly damaging the surroundings) is to pay later! in the whites, some ask for work for stay or they pay to stay. most dont know you can say to the caretaker to bill me. then the AMC at a later date will send you a bill in the mail after your hikes over,so not to take away from your hiking funds... anyway the AMC used to have the bill me option

CrumbSnatcher
03-19-2008, 13:40
If one practices proper LNT methods, the impact is negligible.
very true, i hope all the stealth campers use LNT as you and i do

Tobit
03-19-2008, 13:52
Found a nice pic of a Liberty Springs platform. Looks like it'd be ok for a tarp.

http://hikethewhites.com/liberty2/P07.jpg

rafe
03-20-2008, 00:08
Found a nice pic of a Liberty Springs platform. Looks like it'd be ok for a tarp.

http://hikethewhites.com/liberty2/P07.jpg

That's a good photo for at least one other reason: it illustrates why tenting in the Whites is so damned difficult. Because that's what the sides of those mountains look like, pretty much everywhere. Steep, rocky, and with very dense cover.

Rambler
03-24-2008, 09:21
Yup. That's typical. http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1087742720045831896UVuyum

Pitch the tarp, so that the front end is right at the edge of the platform. You will have a nice seat at the edge of the platform with the tarp over your head! I used to carry screw-eyes as suggested above, but found I never had to use them. Platforms are usually placed not just for impact control, but also because there is no flat terrain, tree sparse, or rock free surfaces near-by.