PDA

View Full Version : To poncho or not to poncho?

buff_jeff
03-17-2008, 22:47
Hey guys, just wondering if you think it's worth bringing a poncho out. I had one that's supposed to cover yourself and your pack but i could never get it over my pack, so now I've just opted for a pack cover. Is it worth picking another one up, as this one sucks for some other reasons, or should I just roll without it? Is a small, lightweight rain jacket a viable option?

Tinker
03-17-2008, 22:52
A good poncho works well with a pack. They are quite a bit cooler in warm weather than a rain jacket, but, when it's real steamy out, I'd rather get washed by the nice rain than stew in my own juices. IMO, ponchos are great if you use them as a shelter, (or just a porch for your shelter). Jackets can't do that. Cool to relatively warm weather is where ponchos shine. Cold weather hiking in miserable conditions requires more coverage.

Ramble~On
03-17-2008, 23:13
Poncho: 2 Thumbs Down

A poncho is better than nothing at all and IMHO it ends there.
It's hard to beat the coverage provided by jacket and pants especially when the wind blows. On a budget a poncho fits the bill as rain protection.
There are rain jackets and pants out there that aren't worth a dime...then there are jackets that run $500+ and pants to match. This is not to say that you can't find rainwear for under $100 that'll do just as well as the big dollar designer Patagonia and Arc'teryx stuff.
Ponchos have their place and serve their purpose but IMO they can't compete with a rain jacket and pants.

Marmot, Mountain Hardware, REI, & Columbia to name a few all have decent rainwear.

envirodiver
03-17-2008, 23:40
I take a poncho in the summer, but a rain jacket other times. The wind plays havoc with ponchos and blowing rain can get in unless you belt it or something like that.

take-a-knee
03-18-2008, 00:38
A good poncho works well with a pack. They are quite a bit cooler in warm weather than a rain jacket, but, when it's real steamy out, I'd rather get washed by the nice rain than stew in my own juices. IMO, ponchos are great if you use them as a shelter, (or just a porch for your shelter). Jackets can't do that. Cool to relatively warm weather is where ponchos shine. Cold weather hiking in miserable conditions requires more coverage.

What he said.

LIhikers
03-18-2008, 07:08
A poncho is my wife's summer rain gear of choice. she has a large, silnylon one that covers her and her pack real well. In windy weather she just puts her belt around the outside of the poncho. She says she likes it because it keeps her dry and has much more ventilatation than a jacket.

winger
03-18-2008, 08:11
As an alternative to the cheap but efficient poncho, check out the Mountain Hardwear Quartz jacket.

Flush2wice
03-18-2008, 08:14
Are you talking about a real poncho? or a Sears poncho?

canoehead
03-18-2008, 08:25
good rain gear and pack cover works for me

Johnny Swank
03-18-2008, 08:29
I really, really want to like a poncho. It just hasn't clicked for me for some reason, but I'm going to give it another shot for summer hiking. I'd love to be able to use one for my tarp, as I usually hike till around dark anyway and don't do a whole lot of futzing around camp in the rain.

fiddlehead
03-18-2008, 08:31
a No vote from me on the poncho. They would suck in the wind. Unless it is also your tent/tarp/shelter, i believe you will also vote no after trying it in extreme conditions.

Locutus
03-19-2008, 13:49
I have been using a ECWCS HYVAT Parka and pants for years during military training exercises and wouldn't ever use anything else. In combination with a liner, you are set for just about all weather conditions (including Siberian winters :)). It is lightweight, breathable, and very durable. A parka and Pants will set you back about $120. Another $50 for a fleece liner.

BR360
03-19-2008, 13:55
I have been using a ECWCS HYVAT Parka and pants for years ...[more]

What's that stand for?

Locutus
03-19-2008, 14:02
ECWCS = Extreme Cold Weather Clothing System. The full ECWCS consists of a Parka, Pants, Liner, Gloves and Hat.

HYVAT is the material/brand. GORE-TEX also makes ECWCS, but I prefer the HYVAT.

Tractor
03-19-2008, 14:07
Poncho, NO ! It seemed like a good idea to me until the first big nasty windy sleety morning. Would have been a hoot to have seen, even from a distance.

wudhipy
03-19-2008, 14:18
Poncho yes. Back in the day I went with the jacket and pants deal and found I was as wet with them than without them. There are ponchos available that cover both you and the pack which I prefer, the only thing worse than a wet butt is soaked gear.By viewing this thread it is obvious that the preference is personal for everyone so try both and go with what suits your needs best.

wudhipy

dmax
03-19-2008, 15:49
i'm not trying to jump on your post, just wondering how well a Packa does in all conditions?

ScottP
03-19-2008, 16:40
A poncho-tarp is a great piece of gear for a desert trail. Otherwise I'll stick with a separate tarp and jacket. It's only an extra 2 ounces.

Quoddy
03-19-2008, 17:08
Ever since I began using an Integral Designs Silcoat Cape I've ditched all other rain gear. It's been excellent for protecting both me and the pack. The only part exposed is my lower legs and feet. In windy conditions I simply tighten the cord which extends all the way around the lower edge. I've been through some very heavy rain and strong winds with it. Excellent normal ventilation. Bonus... it's only 5 ounces for the large.

ofthearth
03-21-2008, 07:14
Check this out. Part poncho part jacket.

http://www.thepacka.com/

What I like best about it is that it keeps the whole pack dry AND I can take it on and off while I'm walking. Sunny on one side of the mt. just slip out of the packa and leave it hanging on the pack. Come around the other side shady, chilly, windy slip it back on without stopping. Big pit zipps. Works for me.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1382&highlight=packa

Here's a link on the sight about the packa with quite a few hits.

JAK
03-21-2008, 09:41
I use a waterproofed nylon rain poncho/tarp as heavy rain gear and shelter. I use a non-waterproofed nylon wind jacket and wind pants for wind layer / light rain gear. It's a good combination all year round.

9oz poncho/tarp including rigging
5oz wind jacket
5oz wind pants

Rough
03-21-2008, 12:38
Consider this "walk-through" when trying to decide between poncho v. rain jacket/pack cover:

You're hiking along enjoying the scenery. Your wife is hiking with you and her poncho is folded up and stored in an outer mesh pocket of her backpack. Your rj and pack cover are also folded neatly and stored in an outer mesh pocket.
It's starts to rain, lightly at first which you both ignore, and then heavily. Your wife reaches into her mesh pocket, unfolds her poncho, and flips it on over her head and backpack. She barely breaks stride. You take your pack off, extract your pack cover, and put it on the backpack. It's raining harder and you are getting soaked. Then you grab your rain jacket and slip that on your already wet person. Then you put your backpack on and scramble to catch up to your wife who is down the trail and quite dry under her poncho.

PS - my wife does use a poncho and I do use a rj/pc ... but I am actively reconsidering ;-)

weary
03-21-2008, 12:43
Hey guys, just wondering if you think it's worth bringing a poncho out. I had one that's supposed to cover yourself and your pack but i could never get it over my pack, so now I've just opted for a pack cover. Is it worth picking another one up, as this one sucks for some other reasons, or should I just roll without it? Is a small, lightweight rain jacket a viable option?
Ponchos are great, except when it rains when the wind is blowing.

JAK
03-21-2008, 12:52
I like the feel of a pack under a jacket or poncho. My XXL wind jacket is loose enough to fit over my daypack, but I haven't tried it over my JAM2 yet. Probably won't fit when the JAM2 is extended to full height with my blue foam pad coiled inside.

I use my poncho/tarp now. I like using that trick with the waist belt out the sides and around the front. There are other tricks to be done like adding snaps here and there as F.Dino suggested a while back. Oversized anoraks shouldn't be ruled out either though.

I've been thinking about converting my CF Gortex Bivy into some sort of a rain cape. I would then use it as my rain gear and as a bivy by tucking it under my blue foam pad somehow. That would allow my to make a dedicated tarp, which might be smaller or larger than my rain poncho/tarp. Not sure which. With the bivy it is most just for sitting up and cooking under while sitting on or in my sleeping bag and bivy and blue foam pad. Yeah I cook where I sleep, but only when I hike solo.

JAK
03-21-2008, 13:08
Found some simple cloak patterns, for what its worth.
I think the basic semi-circle pattern should be modified to fit over a pack.

http://home.clara.net/arianrhod/Aldebaran/DoItYourself/Cloak02.html
http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Things/FCloak/FCloak_pattern.htm

This is a more comprehensive link, including rectangular variations:
http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/makingem/Patterns/Cloaks.htm

steve43
03-24-2008, 10:59
Are you talking about a real poncho? or a Sears poncho?

LOL! when i first put that album on my mother freaked out!.... thanks for stirring up memories from 30 years ago.....

fifo

Montego
03-25-2008, 01:54
Tried the rain pants/rain jacket combo. I'll stick with my Air Force (son-in-law gave it to me) nylon poncho now instead. True, it can be a bit of a problem in winds but still better than stewing in my own juices while hiking.

notorius tic
03-25-2008, 05:34
I used a poncho for my tent as a floor mat. An as a car port for me an my pack or Vestibule if you would never wore it in the rain.. A strong 55 gal trash bag works well. My poncho was a survival type so it had tye offs in 6 spots an when fully opened was 5x5 but a good rain never hurts<:

whitefoot_hp
03-28-2008, 12:23
a No vote from me on the poncho. They would suck in the wind. Unless it is also your tent/tarp/shelter, i believe you will also vote no after trying it in extreme conditions.
not me. if you get a good one, like integral designs, there is remedy for the wind.

a crappy rain jacket sucks as much as a crappy poncho.

whitefoot_hp
03-28-2008, 12:24
Ponchos are great, except when it rains when the wind is blowing.nope, not if you remedy it with a belt.

envirodiver
03-28-2008, 14:08
Ever since I began using an Integral Designs Silcoat Cape I've ditched all other rain gear. It's been excellent for protecting both me and the pack. The only part exposed is my lower legs and feet. In windy conditions I simply tighten the cord which extends all the way around the lower edge. I've been through some very heavy rain and strong winds with it. Excellent normal ventilation. Bonus... it's only 5 ounces for the large.

Does this have good grommets/tie outs? For use as a tarp?

highway
03-28-2008, 15:43

This is an intriguing piece of rain gear. I like and have used a lot their silponcho but it is long and has to be pulled up so as to keep from stepping on the ends while climbing up. The drawcord keeps flapping down so it is no problem for me in the wind. It is long, I guess because it can also be used as a tarp. This cape design would cover just cover enough and eliminate the longer poncho's single drawback for me-too long-as I never use it as a tarp. HHHmmm, I think I will order one

ScottP
03-28-2008, 15:54
Best raingear (high wind will raise temps)

60+F Nothing
50F-60F Poncho or windbreaker
45F-50F Poncho and windbreaker
30F-45F Gore-tex rain jacket

Ponchos are awful when there's lots of brush on the trail, and after a handful of uses as a poncho, a poncho-tarp will start to et some leaks in it at the seams. I thru-hiked the PCT with a six moons gatewood cape. Great piece of gear, but it stays on the PCT. For the AT I'll stick with a flat tarp and a 3 oz windbreaker or 5 oz o2 rainwear, depending on the season.

JAK
03-28-2008, 16:00
I use poncho and windbreaker all year round, well below 30F, with the thought being that I would rather have more insulation than shell the colder it gets. I'm not a fan of heavy winter coats or rain coats except in town and on day hikes when you know its already raining and you won't have to pack it.

JAK
03-28-2008, 16:28
I've never said it quite in this way before, but I like to bring enough clothing for the worst weather, but I wan't to minimize the volume of clothing in my pack. This means a heavy wool layer worn continuosly, with nothing else on fair hiking days. In this way, even on the warmest hiking days, the only clothing that needs to be in or on the pack is socks, skin layers, shell layers, rain poncho, plus hats and mitts if their not in a pocket. That stuff is in the pack if its dry and on the pack if its wet, but either way it takes up very little space and carries very little water when wet. The wool sweater on the other hand is always worn, so its always drying out and can't get to heavy, and you don't waste heat by taking it off. That takes care of the body. Lower body doesn't always fit so well. I'm going to give wool hiking shorts/pants a try along the same lines in winter.

The result of this is the normally packed clothing is the same year round, and only the normally worn gear plus hats and mitts change. The packed volume remains constant. The exception is a long trip in winter or a trip with extreme changes in elevation. Then you might need a lighter sweater, and then bring a set of 100wt or 200wt fleece for your extra layers top and bottom for the extreme cold plus snow. Fleece is a good choice for these extra layers because they don't hold much weight when wet and not worn. The best place for these is in the pack as sleep gear until you need them as extra layers, or in their own outer pocket if you know you will be taking them off and on alot, but they might be wet or dry.

Tinker
03-29-2008, 00:45
What the heck. Here's a picture of my poncho, since I just used it on another thread:
http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1253556665059664855WrWHcs

jigsaw
03-29-2008, 06:50
ive been using the packa for a few years now and i love it.no problems in the wind as its not really like a big flapping poncho,more like a jacket with the pack cover attached. nice thing is its long enough to come down past my knees so no wet shorts.i was never able to hike in rain pants,to hot

SunnyWalker
04-02-2008, 23:56
In the Summer I use a poncho and also carry a light windbreaker. If it is real windy etc., I make the poncho into a kind of dress by tying twine or something through the grometts and a piece for "belt" if I need to. I don't care if I look funny, I am out hiking and camping. I personally think it is ridiculous to spend hundreds of dollars on a rain "outfit". I have hiked and mtn climbed all my life this way. In winter I use other gear. Works for me.