PDA

View Full Version : Length of Pine Mtn Trail (Grayson Highlands area)

Johnny Swank
03-18-2008, 10:20
I'm at work and don't have my map in front of me. Does anyone know the distance of the Pine Mtn Trail from Pine Mtn to Wilburn Ridge? I'm thinking its about 2.2 miles (making "The Loop" about 9.4 miles).

No big shakes either way, just thinking about hiking this weekend instead of working. :banana Last weekend didn't pan out for me.

Groucho
03-18-2008, 11:05
I'm at work and don't have my map in front of me. Does anyone know the distance of the Pine Mtn Trail from Pine Mtn to Wilburn Ridge? I'm thinking its about 2.2 miles (making "The Loop" about 9.4 miles).

No big shakes either way, just thinking about hiking this weekend instead of working. :banana Last weekend didn't pan out for me.

2.1 mi.

Johnny Swank
03-18-2008, 11:37
Cool - thanks.

Groucho
03-18-2008, 11:54
Cool - thanks.

No problem. I get 11.6 for the loop: 0.5 to AT from parking to AT at Massie ; 2.1 to Rhodo.; 2.1 along Pine to AT; 6.4 to AT at Massie; and 0.5 back to parking.

About halfway along the shortcut from Rhodo to Pine there was a sign on the left indicating a trail or campsite ( I can't remember which and once when I was through there the sign wasn't there). I've taken this trail to extend the trip a bit. It leads to a dirt road, crossing a trail enroute. A right on this dirt road leads to the AT just below Old Orchard Shelter. Of course this adds another 700' of climb.