PDA

View Full Version : GSMNP May 9-11 (Maybe)

Kara
03-18-2008, 10:25
Hi all!! I MIGHT be heading to Gatlinburg, TN with a friend the weekend of May 9-11 and am looking to see if you have any input on a couple of topics.

*What is your favorite (day) hike in the smokies (Gatlinburg)?

*Are there good outfitters nearby, and if so which one is your favorite? (My friend may want to fish if possible)

The person I'm going with isn't a backpacker, but has agreed to a day hike. This is a perfect opportunity for a pseudo shakedown out on the trail before I head to Colorado May 20-26.

Thanks!!

:sunIt's raining in Cinci... needed a little sun.

Midway Sam
03-18-2008, 12:16
Hi all!! I MIGHT be heading to Gatlinburg, TN with a friend the weekend of May 9-11 and am looking to see if you have any input on a couple of topics.

*What is your favorite (day) hike in the smokies (Gatlinburg)?

*Are there good outfitters nearby, and if so which one is your favorite? (My friend may want to fish if possible)

The person I'm going with isn't a backpacker, but has agreed to a day hike. This is a perfect opportunity for a pseudo shakedown out on the trail before I head to Colorado May 20-26.

Thanks!!

:sunIt's raining in Cinci... needed a little sun.

I think the outfitter in Gatlinburg is called the Happy Hiker. As far as a day hike, I really enjoyed Newfound to Charlie's Bunion.

HikerRanky
03-18-2008, 13:53
The Happy Hiker is THE outfitter there in Gatlinburg.... They are a grand total of about 30 feet from the park.

With over 800 trails in the park, it's hard to pick any one as the favorite.... The Newfound Gap to Charlie's Bunion is a very good one, but it will be crowded that time of the year.... If your friend is into fishing, I would suggest some of the hikes around Little River... I have done a few of them, and I like the Little River Trail over by Elkmont campground, and Porters Creek Trail...

Hope this helps, and have fun!

Randy

Kara
03-18-2008, 16:03
Just found out the date won't be May 9-11. It will be April 18-20. This should be official though.

Thanks for the tips! Since I'll only have a weekend I won't waste my time trying to find the other two outfitters I saw (Smokey Mountain Outfitters and the Day Hiker) and I'll just go to the Happy Hiker instead. Looks fairly close to where we'll be staying.

My friend isn't a backpacker. Honestly, I think he's a Hiker Virgin. So, I'd like to not over do it for, but would like it to be a good experience. The awesome views and waterfalls would probably help with that.

Jason of the Woods
03-18-2008, 16:14
Climb Mt LeConte. It has a bit of everything. Use the Alum Cave trail. I promise that you won't be disappointed

HikerRanky
03-18-2008, 18:13
Just found out the date won't be May 9-11. It will be April 18-20. This should be official though.

Thanks for the tips! Since I'll only have a weekend I won't waste my time trying to find the other two outfitters I saw (Smokey Mountain Outfitters and the Day Hiker) and I'll just go to the Happy Hiker instead. Looks fairly close to where we'll be staying.

My friend isn't a backpacker. Honestly, I think he's a Hiker Virgin. So, I'd like to not over do it for, but would like it to be a good experience. The awesome views and waterfalls would probably help with that.

My wife and I are going to be over there that time as well.... talking about a coincidence!

The hike on Alum Cave Trail up to Mt. LeConte is a great trail.... It's about 5 miles up to the top, and in that 5 miles it gains about 4,000' of elevation... On the weekends it can be a crowded trail... The views from up there are quite spectacular.

If you want a somewhat less than crowded trail, I highly recommend the Little River Trail/Cucumber Gap Trail loop.... It's not as crowded, has the river right there, and is more moderate in terms of elevation gain.

Springtime weekend in the GSMNP is somewhat crowded, but it can be very quiet as well....

Randy

brotheral
03-18-2008, 19:28
I think the outfitter in Gatlinburg is called the Happy Hiker. As far as a day hike, I really enjoyed Newfound to Charlie's Bunion.
I agree !! Park at Newfound Gap and hike to Charlies Bunion. Beautiful Views. You can check out Icewater Springs shelter too. It's about 4 miles each way. The bunion is awesome....
Happy Trails.................:sun

Blissful
03-18-2008, 21:21
The ridgewalk on the AT after Icewater Spring to Pecks Corner is superb in good weather.

Tennessee Viking
03-19-2008, 00:32
Clingmans Dome going north on AT.

If there is good rainfall, then Lakeshore Trail.

If you want rugid, do the BMT section from 441 to Davenport Gap.

I am not familiar with the outfitters right around Gatlinburg and the park. Stay away from the Blue Ridge and the other Knoxville ones. They are way overpriced. They target the college crowd and the yuppie hiker.

Its a drive...but Bluff Mountain Outfitters in Hot Springs has good deals last time I ran in.

brotheral
03-19-2008, 09:50
I agree !! Park at Newfound Gap and hike to Charlies Bunion. Beautiful Views. You can check out Icewater Springs shelter too. It's about 4 miles each way. The bunion is awesome....
Happy Trails.................:sun
You mentioned your friend is a beginner. This is not a difficult hike. Gradually uphill going out to Charlies Bunion, but not "steep". The return hike is easy (hike rated moderate) I'd stop at Sugarlands visitor center and get the Day Hikes pamphlet for a dollar.. It gives you many options and rates degree of difficulty. Also map to find these trails... A shorter 5 mile roundtrip hike to Abrams Falls is rated moderate. You access trail from Cades Cove Loop Road.
*Alum cave/Mt. Leconte is Strenuous !! Good luck and enjoy your time in the Smokys.
Happy Trails...........:D BrotherAL

kytrailman
03-19-2008, 11:40
Alot of the trails mentioned above will be CROWDED. If you are looking for a beautiful hike without the crowds hike to Gregory Bald starting from Cades Cove. You will be there a little early for the flame azaleas, but it is a hike worth taking in the smokies. Mt LeConte is a very nice hike also, I would leave from Newfound Gap on the AT and take the Boulevard Trail to the top. Return via Alum Cave or Trill;ium Gap trail ifa shuttle is possible. if not just retrace your path back to the car. Also, any trail in the twentymile area will be isolated form the crowds. Have fun..

valleyfire
03-20-2008, 10:21
Hey kytrailman which trail do you suggest taking from Cades Cove up to Gregory Bald.

valleyfire
03-20-2008, 10:22
How hard is that trail

Jaybird62
03-20-2008, 10:39
Chimney Tops is a beautiful trail with a spectacular view a @ the top, but it most certainly will be crowded.

brotheral
03-20-2008, 11:02
Hey kytrailman which trail do you suggest taking from Cades Cove up to Gregory Bald.
I'm looking at my GSMNP Day Hikes pamphlet. It appears that you take Cades Cove loop road to Parsons Branch road. Gregory Bald trailhed is about 5 miles out on Parsons Branch. Bothh road are one-way. Rates trail as strenuous... Happy Trails:sunBrotheral

Flush2wice
03-20-2008, 11:25
She said her friend wants to fish. The fish don't bite at Charlie's Bunion.
If Gatlinburg is your base, I'd think about the Little River Trail from Elkmont. It's 5 miles easy walking and good fishing. Another option is to go up to Greenbrier and hike up the Ramsay Cascades Trail. It's 4 miles along the stream to a 90' waterfall. This trail is steeper but a lot prettier.
Make sure he gets a license

gollwoods
03-29-2008, 07:22
this trail offers a spectacular falls at the end allow for rugged trail conditions.