PDA

View Full Version : Deuter Packs

CaseyB
03-18-2008, 11:19
Experiences, opinions, etc. Thanks.

Grandma
03-18-2008, 14:43
I would like some feedback as well. Their AC Zero bags have a nice weight at a very reasonable price. I have a kid carrier, and found it very comfortable, but do not have any experience with their packs.

EMAN
03-18-2008, 15:30
I had one of the ACT...light...Zero......something or other. I liked certain things about it. Had plenty of room, reasonably comfortable over the shoulders, hip belt pulled forward to tighten.
I didn't like the top pocket (it is sort of a triangle shape with a taper towards the bottom). I carry my Paltypus in that pocket and it just wouldn't fit right. Most normal folks who carry their water in the assigned pocket or elsewhere wouldn't have that problem.
And the adjustbale deal on the back wore me out. I just couldn't seem to get comfortable with it. Always seemed to be pressing into my spine.
Who knows, this could have been from operator error.
Got mine from Backcountry Edge which has a decent return policy.

Pete Moss
03-18-2008, 15:59
I tried on one of futura 50+10 models and thought the same thing about the shoulder strap adjustment digging into the center of my back. Was also a little heavy for my liking as I think it was close to 5 lbs. but other than that was a good pack for the price

margo
03-18-2008, 16:59
I have a futura 42. The pack is curved but the mesh support for your back is straight. The curve of the pack may limit how you pack things in it. Just something to consider.

Cherokee Bill
03-18-2008, 19:26
Deuter Act Lite 65-10, internal frame, excellent shape, used 2-times!

$100 includes shipping to US addresses. :sun

Going back to "external-frame" pack. AT 61-yo, I'm just to old to change:D

Press
03-18-2008, 21:04
Got one, Futura 32 Pro. I like it. Pretty tough. The frame thing that keeps it away from your back is definitely cooler in summer.

NICKTHEGREEK
03-19-2008, 17:58
Deuter aircontact vario. Very nice extremely comfortable 5 yrs old. It was professionally fitted (frame sheet bending). Could be lighter, but then it would be less durable. I'm happy enough with it that I don't even look for other packs.
Deuter service was excellent when I ordered a larger size vario shoulder harness.

I'd buy another without reservation.

SuicidalSlinky
03-29-2008, 23:02
Sorry about the late response to this thread, but I have to say Deuter saved my thru-hike in '07. Well, that's being overly dramatic. Truth is I had a brand new Gregory Z-Pack that lasted 5 days before the entire suspension fell apart and required an emergency dental-floss sew job in the 100-Mile Wilderness. Five days later I got an exchange from Gregory, this time a G-Pack, that lasted a month and while all the seams blew out at least it wasn't the suspension! I bought a Gregory Z-55 since it was meant to be both a Z and G-Pack in one. Five days later the buckle holding the shoulder strap began ripping away from the shoulder strap and required dental floss to stem the wound. Gregory admitted the Z-55 had this flaw in manufacturing.

So at the half-way mark I went in to Washington, DC and managed to find a Deuter 65+10 ACT. The fully adjustable torso length meant it fit absolutely like a glove, the straps were just right, the quality of workmanship, durability, and simply everything about this pack was great. I'm amazingly impressed with Deuter and am now in the market for a smaller capacity pack for shorter trips. My Deuter made it 1000 miles and after I washed it it still looks brand new - only minor stretch on the torso adjustment.

I should mention that Osprey's simply don't fit me - they rub uncomfortably on the shoulder blades - and in DC where I started my shopping Gregory and Osprey are really the only two options. It was dumb luck that an REI store had ONE Deuter (they received it accidentally and decided to just sell it). My base weight was 15-18lbs (depending on temperature) the entire time and with food/water I would end up anywhere from 20-35lbs (35lbs in the 100-Mile Wilderness for example).

Also can't say enough good things about Chacos!!! Loved my Merrell trail-runners but my god them Chacos simply rocked my world. :)