PDA

View Full Version : UPDATED GEAR LIST... any ideas?

Jail Break
03-18-2008, 13:03
Thanks to your suggestions, I've cut 8 POUNDS off my previously posted gear list. I believe this is my full current gear list. Fully loaded, WITH food and 2 full nalgenes, my pack weighs in at 37 lbs, with nothing strapped externally, other than my Leatherman Micra on my shoulder strap. I am 6'0, 240 lbs. That would make my pack less than 1/5 of my bodyweight. I realize my sleeping pad is a bit heavy for long distance hiking, but I don't sleep well, and the extra comfort is necessary. If I can't sleep, I can't hike. I'll gladly listen to any suggestions or ideas.

GEAR TRANSPORT
Osprey Aether 85 Pack
Sea to Summit SilNyl Pack Cover
Hefty Contractor Bag (Pack Liner)
Komperdell C3 Carbon Ultralite Airshock Trekking Poles w/ Rubber Hemi-Tips

GUIDANCE
Brunton Compass
Appropriate Map
Thru-Hiker's Companion
Ironman Digital Watch

FINANCE/IDENTIFICATION
Bifold Wallet (very lightweight)
Driver's License
ATC Member Card
Phone Card
Credit Card
Debit Card
Cash

SHELTER/SLEEPING
Granite Gear Nylon Sack, Medium (Tent Bag)
EMS Star 2+ Tent w/ Poles and 2 Stakes (heavy, but I can't afford a new tent)
2 Mil Plastic Ground Cloth
EMS Down Under 25 Sleeping Bag
Nylon Roll-top Drybag (as Sleeping Bag Dry Bag)
Therm-A-Rest Trail Pro L

KITCHEN
Homemade Gravity Filter (5oz)
JetBoil System
Evernew 400 Titanium .4L Mug
Wide-Mouth Nalgene 32oz x2
Leatherman Micra
Lexan Spoon
Lexan Bowl
REI Medium Pack Towel

SUSTINENCE
Granite Gear Nylon Sack (Food Bag)
Food (3 Days)
Hefty OneZip 1 Gallon Bag (for Garbage)
Oval Plastic Flask Container 4 oz (full of Tang drink mix)

CLOTHING
Granite Gear Nylon Sack (Clothes Bag)
Vasque Breeze XCR Boots
EMS Heavy Socks x2
EMS Sock Liners x1
ExOfficio Boxer Briefs x2
EMS Techwick Thermals (Top & Bottom)
EMS Hiking Pants
EMS Techwick T-Shirt
Long-Sleeve Fleece
EMS Glacier Down Jacket (doubles as pillow)
REI Minimalist Waterproof/Windproof Gloves
EMS Thunderhead Raingear (Jacket/Pants)
Mountain Hardwear Dome Perignon Windproof Hat
Crocs (camp)

HEALTH & HYGIENE
Hefty OneZip 1 Quart Bag
Basic Medical Kit (Band-Aids, Neosporin, Moleskin, etc)
Toothbrush (trimmed short)
Toothpaste .85 oz
Rx Bottle w/ various Medication (Benadryl, Sudafed, Ibuprofen, Nexium)
Centrum Multi-Vitamins
Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Soap 2 oz
Q-Tips x4
Shampoo 1.5 oz
Chapstick
Sunscreen 30 SPF 1 oz
Visine
Gold Bond Powder 1 oz
Wet Ones Antibacterial Wipes Individual Packets x6
Nailclippers
Charmin TP Miniroll 55 sheets

MISCELLANEOUS
Very Small Spiral Bound Journal
1/4 Pencil
Duct Tape 6ft
Waterproof Matches
Lighter
TINY Spare Pocketknife (.25 oz)
LED Fingerlight
Eveready Headlamp
Spare AAA batteries x3
Bear Line 50ft
Mini Carabiner
OC Bear Spray 1.47 oz
Kodak Disposable Camera 800 speed 27 exp
Bandana
Sunglasses

Panzer1
03-18-2008, 13:10
Are you doing a Thru-hike or a section hike?

Panzer

Blissful
03-18-2008, 13:20
Well, that's a good starting weight. But you could still eliminate in ounces which leads to pounds.

Don't think you would need a dry bag for sleeping bag with a pack cover and liner. If you are that concerned, I'd include a Reynolds turkey bag.
Why do you need a bowl? Eat out of the pot. I'd leave the mug at home too, but that's up to you.

Tang drink mix can be put into Ziploc and you can mix in your nalgene. Leave flask at home.

Omit shampoo (also I would go with unscented castle soap not peppermint, IMO. That stuff stings. And doubles as shampoo, but honestly, you don't need shampoo), fingerlight, bear spray (I saw only one bear in PA), spare batteries (can get in towns), sunglasses, matches (you have a lighter), pocket knife and nail clippers (you have the leatherman). Don't double up on stuff.
Did I miss some kind of water filtration? Or is it the gravity filter, which I had not heard of.
Compass is optional, so long as you have a map. Don't need ATC card.

Jail Break
03-18-2008, 13:35
Are you doing a Thru-hike or a section hike?

Panzer

Thru-Hike

Appalachian Tater
03-18-2008, 13:52
You don't need a spare knife. Bear spray is useless. You don't actually need your phone card, just the access, customer service, and code numbers. Don't cut off your toothbrush, it makes it hard to use, thru-hikers are bad enough about neglecting oral hygiene. Your headlight will dim very slowly, you'll have plenty of time to get extra batteries. You probably don't need the mug and the bowl. Is your spoon long enough for the JetBoil?
You can carry the powdered drink mix in a bag, but I prefer a flask or soda bottle (very light) for convenience. That stuff is messy.
Nalgenes are heavy, get Gatorade or Aquafina bottles.
You don't need shampoo, you'll only use it in town, and there will be some. If not, you can get some at the dollar store or use your Dr. Bronners'.
Consider a Pro-lite 3 or 4 pad. You would be surprised how much softer the ground is than your floor and they are plenty thick.
I would carry at least twice as much duct tape. If you need it, you need it bad.
Consider a Write-in-the-Rain notepad.
An ounce of sunscreen is very little but you can get more as you go along.
Do you need the fleece since you have a down jacket?
Forget the other light, just the headlamp is all you need. If you need light, you need your hands free.
Earplugs in case you ever stay in a hostel, hotel, shelter, or camp near other people or a road.

Jail Break
03-18-2008, 13:52
Well, that's a good starting weight. But you could still eliminate in ounces which leads to pounds.

Don't think you would need a dry bag for sleeping bag with a pack cover and liner. If you are that concerned, I'd include a Reynolds turkey bag.
Why do you need a bowl? Eat out of the pot. I'd leave the mug at home too, but that's up to you.

Tang drink mix can be put into Ziploc and you can mix in your nalgene. Leave flask at home.

Omit shampoo (also I would go with unscented castle soap not peppermint, IMO. That stuff stings. And doubles as shampoo, but honestly, you don't need shampoo), fingerlight, bear spray (I saw only one bear in PA), spare batteries (can get in towns), sunglasses, matches (you have a lighter), pocket knife and nail clippers (you have the leatherman). Don't double up on stuff.
Did I miss some kind of water filtration? Or is it the gravity filter, which I had not heard of.
Compass is optional, so long as you have a map. Don't need ATC card.

All excellent suggestions.

I have the dry bag for the sleeping bag basically because it keeps it compressed nice and tiny, and it just happens to be waterproof.

I'll probably ditch either the bowl or the mug.

I have the Tang in a little plastic flask just because I'm afraid of a hole in the bag which would leave everything powdery-orange, and very sticky if it becomes wet thereafter. I'd leave the Tang altogether, but I just love the stuff. A little comfort of home.

The bearspray is not just for bears.

Yes, the gravity filter is my water filter. Small drybag with valve screwed into it, nylon mesh pre-filter, and in-line Sawyer filament filter. Just fill the bag and it filters your water for you, no pumping, no gross tablets.

Still some thinking to do, weed some stuff out.

Thank you very much!

John B
03-18-2008, 13:53
Since you have a bandana, I'd ditch the pack towel; no matter what you do, definitely add ear plugs -- there is at least a 99% chance that you'll be in a hostel or shelter with someone who snores like a chain saw; I'd ditch the shampoo and just carry the Dr. Bronners -- if you've never used it, just a couple of drops creates a lot of lather; others previously have suggested ditching the spare batteries and I'd suggest the same, so your choice to keep them must mean that you've thought it through; a cheapo Timex Explorer (about $30) has a built-in compass -- you might consider it. I think that you have a great list. Good luck!

Jail Break
03-18-2008, 14:00
Since you have a bandana, I'd ditch the pack towel; no matter what you do, definitely add ear plugs -- there is at least a 99% chance that you'll be in a hostel or shelter with someone who snores like a chain saw; I'd ditch the shampoo and just carry the Dr. Bronners -- if you've never used it, just a couple of drops creates a lot of lather; others previously have suggested ditching the spare batteries and I'd suggest the same, so your choice to keep them must mean that you've thought it through; a cheapo Timex Explorer (about $30) has a built-in compass -- you might consider it. I think that you have a great list. Good luck!

About the shampoo... It's head and shoulders... I have a touch of psoriasis on my scalp and need it about once a week to keep it from getting gross.

my headlight takes 3 AAA batteries... i originally had six- I did cut that in half, as I don't know how long the batteries last... once I figure it out, I can plan to not carry extras.

I will definitely get the earplugs- GREAT idea.

And you just reminded me, I actually already have a watch with a built-in compass. THANKS!

Hooch
03-18-2008, 14:02
I know it's a little late, but I'd consider changing packs too. The Aether 85 is a HUUUUUUUGE pack and weighs in at a whopping 4lb, 15 oz for the large pack. You may want to consider a Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian at 3800 cubes and 3.5 lbs or a similar pack. It'll shave another pound to pound and a half. The problem with big packs like yours is that folks who have them feel compelled to fill them to the brim and wind up making an unduly heavy pack. Just my $0.02. :D

Jail Break
03-18-2008, 14:05
I know it's a little late, but I'd consider changing packs too. The Aether 85 is a HUUUUUUUGE pack and weighs in at a whopping 4lb, 15 oz for the large pack. You may want to consider a Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian at 3800 cubes and 3.5 lbs or a similar pack. It'll shave another pound to pound and a half. The problem with big packs like yours is that folks who have them feel compelled to fill them to the brim and wind up making an unduly heavy pack. Just my $0.02. :D

I wanted to change packs, but can't really afford it. And I do have the Medium size which is a few ounces less... and I have some extra space, I'm careful not to fill it up just because I can. Thank you!

Panzer1
03-18-2008, 14:06
EMS Down Under 25 Sleeping Bag

25 degrees would not be enough warmth for me. I would have at least a 20 degree or even a 15 degree bag. It can get cold out there.

Panzer

Appalachian Tater
03-18-2008, 14:07
my headlight takes 3 AAA batteries... i originally had six- I did cut that in half, as I don't know how long the batteries last... once I figure it out, I can plan to not carry extras.

You really don't need them unless you're planning on night-hiking a lot. If you use the headlight 1.5 hours a night (you won't), the batteries would last a month on high. And they don't just stop working, they dim slowly. Batteries are heavy. My bet is you'll ditch them at Neels Gap if you take them. After you've been out hiking for a couple of weeks, you'll have enough confidence to do without much spare anything. (A method of firestarting and dry clothes should be the expceptions.)

Jail Break
03-18-2008, 14:11
You really don't need them unless you're planning on night-hiking a lot. If you use the headlight 1.5 hours a night (you won't), the batteries would last a month on high. And they don't just stop working, they dim slowly. Batteries are heavy. My bet is you'll ditch them at Neels Gap if you take them. After you've been out hiking for a couple of weeks, you'll have enough confidence to do without much spare anything. (A method of firestarting and dry clothes should be the expceptions.)

Good enough. The overwhelming concensus is to lose the batteries. Done.

take-a-knee
03-18-2008, 14:12

I have the dry bag for the sleeping bag basically because it keeps it compressed nice and tiny, and it just happens to be waterproof.

I'll probably ditch either the bowl or the mug.

I have the Tang in a little plastic flask just because I'm afraid of a hole in the bag which would leave everything powdery-orange, and very sticky if it becomes wet thereafter. I'd leave the Tang altogether, but I just love the stuff. A little comfort of home.

Yes, the gravity filter is my water filter. Small drybag with valve screwed into it, nylon mesh pre-filter, and in-line Sawyer filament filter. Just fill the bag and it filters your water for you, no pumping, no gross tablets.

Still some thinking to do, weed some stuff out.

Thank you very much!

Gravity filters rule, I did something similar with platys and a camelback tube.

If you freezer bag cook, your meal will be "cooking" in a bag and you can drink from your jetboil cup. It you don't freezer bag it I'd keep the cup.

Cleaned out peanut butter jars are good for storing powders.

Keep the dry bag, keep the knife, a micra IS NOT A KNIFE!

Keep the pack cover.

I'd look at a patagonia puffball vest and a field jacket liner instead of a down jacket if you haven't already bought it.

Jail Break
03-18-2008, 14:12
25 degrees would not be enough warmth for me. I would have at least a 20 degree or even a 15 degree bag. It can get cold out there.

Panzer

Even sleeping in thermals and socks?

Appalachian Tater
03-18-2008, 14:20
You can always put on all your dry clothes while you sleep, including your down jacket. The hat is even more important.

I am wondering if your mild psoriasis will improve while hiking from exposure to sunlight and a decrease in stress. Please let us know if it does.

Thrasher
03-18-2008, 14:20
2 nalgene bottles - 12oz. A 3 liter camelbak weighs 7.2 oz. or a 2 liter weighs 6.3oz. I'd get rid of the nalgene bottles and get a camelbak and maybe a 1 liter platypus just in case. Or maybe 1 nalgene and one 1 liter platypus. I don't know if a camelbak would work well with your filter system though. I also like a 2 or more liter platypus for when I get to camp. I can filter water and have enough for the night and morning. When I pack up, it's empty and packs flat. I'd get rid of the bowl, keep the mug for your tang, drinks, whatever. Make sure your spoon is long enough for that jetboil too.

Jail Break
03-18-2008, 14:26
2 nalgene bottles - 12oz. A 3 liter camelbak weighs 7.2 oz. or a 2 liter weighs 6.3oz. I'd get rid of the nalgene bottles and get a camelbak and maybe a 1 liter platypus just in case. Or maybe 1 nalgene and one 1 liter platypus. I don't know if a camelbak would work well with your filter system though. I also like a 2 or more liter platypus for when I get to camp. I can filter water and have enough for the night and morning. When I pack up, it's empty and packs flat. I'd get rid of the bowl, keep the mug for your tang, drinks, whatever. Make sure your spoon is long enough for that jetboil too.

My spoon is long enough.

I've heard water freezing in the camelback tube is a problem early on. Any word on that?

Alligator
03-18-2008, 14:40
My spoon is long enough.

I've heard water freezing in the camelback tube is a problem early on. Any word on that?Blow the water back into the bladder after drinking. If you forget, a few minutes inside your jacket can melt it. And after you have not so carefully melted the tube inside your jacket and gotten yourself wet, you won't forget to blow the water up the tube:D.

Thrasher
03-18-2008, 14:55
Like alligator said, blowing into the tube would get most of the water of the tube. If you stick it in your jacket to thaw, if it ever freezes, just make sure the bite valve is closed. If you are expecting a cold night I guess you could close the bite valve and stick it in your tent with you to keep it a little warmer. I had mine on springer mountain a few weeks ago overnight and it didn't freeze, but it was probably in the high 20s that night. I always close the bite valve when I'm putting my pack down somewhere because if it's open and gets pinched, water will seep out slowly. I've had it happen when transporting it in my car.

Thrasher
03-18-2008, 15:00
Oh, I just looked and I think you have to buy a closing bite valve separately. Here's one http://www.rei.com/product/668226, or here's the one I use that lets me use my water filter easily without removing it from my pack http://www.rei.com/product/695526

Panzer1
03-18-2008, 15:00
2 nalgene bottles - 12oz.

My 1 quart white HDPE nalgene bottles only weigh 3.6 ounces each. You must have the heavy colored lexan nalgene bottles.

Panzer

Thrasher
03-18-2008, 15:09
My 1 quart white HDPE nalgene bottles only weigh 3.6 ounces each. You must have the heavy colored lexan nalgene bottles.

Panzer

Unless someone specifies them being HDPE nalgene, I usually think of the lexan ones. He may have the HDPE ones which are much lighter. Thanks for pointing that out.

quasarr
03-18-2008, 15:56

I have the dry bag for the sleeping bag basically because it keeps it compressed nice and tiny, and it just happens to be waterproof. ...

I always heard you should compress a down bag as little as possible. Compressing down over time (like a thru hike) makes it lose its loft and warmth. Your pack is huge, I feel that you should have enough room to pack your bag more loosely.

PJ 2005
03-18-2008, 17:18
Cut 2-3 pounds and you could use a vapor trail instead ($140, about what you could probably get for your current pack on ebay). Way better. 85 liters is over the top for 37 pounds.

Panzer1
03-18-2008, 20:02
Cut 2-3 pounds and you could use a vapor trail instead ($140, about what you could probably get for your current pack on ebay). Way better. 85 liters is over the top for 37 pounds.

His pack is currently at 37 pounds. I think he would have to cut more that 2-3 pounds to get into a vapor trail. I found the following on the Granite Gear website:

vapor trail

So you’re ready to take the next step. You’ve gotten your pack weight down to 30 pounds or less. The Vapor Trail uses a high-density polyethylene frame that helps distribute the load evenly over your back and onto your hips.
http://www.granitegear.com/products/backpacks/ultralight/vapor_trail/index.html

It looks like he would have to cut 7 pounds and he would still be at the vapor trail max.

I think he should stay with what he has..

Panzer

Panzer1
03-19-2008, 09:08

You probably won't need the bear spray for bears or people. I see from your profile that your a 31 year old ex-cop and seem to be a good physical condition. I don't think anyone would give you any trouble.

Panzer