PDA

View Full Version : Stop or Not

partinj
03-18-2008, 13:22
Hi don't mean to start anything here but i hear and read some journals about trailday
has turn into nothing more then a yuppie thing is this true and would it still be worth
stoping at never been to it and i star on april 5 2008 so don't know if i can get their on time anyway. What do you think
:-?

Blissful
03-18-2008, 13:27
Well, that will open up a keg of worms. :)

I like trail days to network with other hikers and friends.

Appalachian Tater
03-18-2008, 13:31
It is a festival.

Tin Man
03-18-2008, 14:20
Many hikers don't have the timing right to walk into town for Trail Days, so they find a ride from either direction just to join in the fun. Some reasons to go besides the party...

Meet WB'ers - they have a breakfast and congregate around "Billville".

Visit the vendor tents to pick something up or get a needed repair done right there.

"Hardcore" follows, which is a chance to do some trail maintenance to support the trail while you are on it.

hobojoe
03-18-2008, 14:22
I think trail daze is definately worth it. I would say the yuppie concentration has to be at most 20-30%. Tent city is primarily hiker trash. If you like to party, connect with your fellow hikers, dance around a fire in the rain, or just scream at the top of your lungs till the sun comes up, then stay at tent city. If you are more intersted in gear and hiking prsentations, stay in a hotel and hang out during the day. If you want to hang out in bars you can do that to. Ill be out there just a few days after you, good luck!

Chaco Taco
03-18-2008, 14:48
I think trail daze is definately worth it. I would say the yuppie concentration has to be at most 20-30%. Tent city is primarily hiker trash. If you like to party, connect with your fellow hikers, dance around a fire in the rain, or just scream at the top of your lungs till the sun comes up, then stay at tent city. If you are more intersted in gear and hiking prsentations, stay in a hotel and hang out during the day. If you want to hang out in bars you can do that to. Ill be out there just a few days after you, good luck!

Guess who else will be there?????

CHACO TACO!!!!!!!!

Lilred
03-18-2008, 15:07
Guess who else will be there?????

CHACO TACO!!!!!!!!

Has someone got a new trail name??

rafe
03-18-2008, 15:20
Partinj, it can be fun. It's a big zoo, but you'll meet hikers ahead of you, behind you, etc. You should be able to get there no problem with an April 5 start. You need to do about 11 miles per day, average, from Springer.

chief
03-18-2008, 16:32
In 2000, I started on April 5th and made trail days just fine. Believe me, I'm no speedster. Would I attend trail days again? Nope!

Yahtzee
03-18-2008, 16:40
You can always go and if you don't like it, hike on. Options, options, options.

Peaks
03-18-2008, 18:31
Well, I've got mixed feelings about Trail Days. I enjoyed mingling with other thru-hikers, the vendors, etc. But I also found a lot of local underage "wanttabe's." So, I'd say, plan on dropping by and make your own decision.

If I had wheels, I'd go for the day, and not plan to stay overnight in Damancus.

wakapak
03-18-2008, 18:42
I plan on making an appearance at TD's this year!!! :banana :sun

Hopin some old friends will happen to be there too!!!!!!!

partinj
03-19-2008, 12:33
Thank for the help one reason i was gone to stop is to see if Lone wolf was gone to be their i really like reading his posts and was hopeing to meet him.

hobojoe
03-19-2008, 12:42
Has someone got a new trail name??
you got it!!!

jhick
03-19-2008, 13:04
Definitely gonna be there this year. Just look for the long hair and guitar.... oh wait, that prob describes half of tent city!

hobojoe
03-19-2008, 13:08
Definitely gonna be there this year. Just look for the long hair and guitar.... oh wait, that prob describes half of tent city!
Huh....???

wudhipy
03-19-2008, 13:39
Tent city is the only way to go at trail daze........we'll be there with my drum.

wudhipy

valleyfire
03-20-2008, 11:50
Cant wait for trail days

Mags
03-20-2008, 12:11
FWIW, I find the on-trail hiker gatherings (Trail Daze, ADZPCTKO) to be more fun when I am not hiking.

Find I can enjoy it more and not have to worry about getting on t he trail the next day or have to deal with hiking with a crowd, etc.

YMMV.