PDA

View Full Version : IS this too much?

cj_SLU
03-18-2008, 14:11
I found out after having planned my 2008 hike that two of my friends want to do a thru-hike after one of them gets back from Iraq.

Do you think that it is too much to complete a NOBO thru-hike starting March 2008 and the start a SOBO thru-hike late June 2009? Is this too much? Is there such a thing as too much? :-?

Jail Break
03-18-2008, 14:16
I found out after having planned my 2008 hike that two of my friends want to do a thru-hike after one of them gets back from Iraq.

Do you think that it is too much to complete a NOBO thru-hike starting March 2008 and the start a SOBO thru-hike late June 2009? Is this too much? Is there such a thing as too much? :-?

I'd love to do that. You've got some down time in between... DO IT!

hobojoe
03-18-2008, 14:23
No, that's the perfect amount of hiking.

Appalachian Tater
03-18-2008, 14:25
Sounds great!

Jail Break
03-18-2008, 14:27
That's a very fast NOBO hike. Some people yo-yo but you might consider doing one or one and a partial thru as a flip-flop, start at Springer and go north at a pleasant speed until your friend is ready to start and then go up to Katahdin and start SOBO, finishing where you left off or going all the way through to Springer.

The SoBo starts NEXT year...

hobojoe
03-18-2008, 14:27
He said june 2009

HYOH
03-18-2008, 14:28
Looks like the perfect combo to me. Now all you have to do is figure out what you're going to do with all the time in between. Winter is a great time to hike the Grand Canyon :-?.

Appalachian Tater
03-18-2008, 14:29
Yeah, I saw that!

cj_SLU
03-18-2008, 14:39
He said june 2009

Well, actually I'm a she :p, but that happens to me a lot... especially with no pic up here...

Looks like the perfect combo to me. Now all you have to do is figure out what you're going to do with all the time in between. Winter is a great time to hike the Grand Canyon :-?.

I think with the time in between I'm going to try and make a little more cash so I can fund my adventures :D

buff_jeff
03-18-2008, 14:53
You have to finish the first one before worrying about the second. The odds are against you even finishing one. But hey, if that's what you want to do, go for it! I wish I had that much time to hike. :(

KG4FAM
03-18-2008, 15:00
After some time on the trail you will realize what a silly question you asked.

HYOH
03-18-2008, 15:10
Well, actually I'm a she :p, but that happens to me a lot... especially with no pic up here...

I think with the time in between I'm going to try and make a little more cash so I can fund my adventures :D

That's what I was thinking too. You can always get a "service" job at the Canyon and most of them have housing supplied. Work 4 hike 3. Hit the AT in June in fantastic shape and plenty of "funds". The Canyon is Hiker Trash off season heaven.

cj_SLU
03-18-2008, 16:34
You have to finish the first one before worrying about the second. The odds are against you even finishing one. But hey, if that's what you want to do, go for it! I wish I had that much time to hike. :(

I'm not basing my SOBO attempt on whether I finish my NOBO thru-hike. Either way I will be going in June with my friends. I just wanted to see what other people thought and if it was advisable to do so if I managed to finish my first hike. And I figure now is the time to do all of this since I don't have anything tying me down. :cool:

After some time on the trail you will realize what a silly question you asked.

I don't know whether this was supposed to be helpful or insulting... came off as a little of both though :-?

Jail Break
03-18-2008, 17:03

My apologies.

cj_SLU
03-18-2008, 19:59
My apologies.

No worries. :)

slowandlow
03-18-2008, 22:50
There is no such thing as too much hiking.

warraghiyagey
03-19-2008, 01:24
No matter what anyone says, it's only too much if you think it is. Likely if you finish the first pass, you'll not think a hike the other direction will be too much.
Enoy your hikes!!!!

:sun:sun:sun

fiddlehead
03-19-2008, 03:06
Best thing is to keep your mind open and don't make too many plans. Just go with it and Enjoy!
I just said goodbye to some wonderful people who have been traveling the world for 5 years +. They left here (phuket thailand) with no plans except to head north again and "maybe" go back thru China again or "maybe head to India and "maybe" go check out the old silk road in western China. and then they said "but plans are always changed" Check out their website if you like: http://www.myspace.com/cyclowns
Now that's a good attitude. You see a lot more that way cause you go with the flow of who you meet, what kind of opportunities come up, seasons, etc.
Just taking that first step on the trail is the biggest move you can make.