PDA

View Full Version : pa trails and rain

Wags
03-18-2008, 23:06
well i can't remember a winter where we've had more rain than this year. anyone been out on the trails in central pa? i'm hoping to get out for the 1st time this weekend (HELLO 4 DAY WEEKEND) and wonder if it's going to be a nice hike, or trudging and slopping through mud... anyone? bueller?

Cosmo Rules
03-18-2008, 23:26
Whats to see and do between Pen Mar and Boiling Springs?

zoidfu
03-18-2008, 23:32
It's fine. I've been out at least every other weekend.

ki0eh
03-19-2008, 07:43
I've been out a few times - Cumberland Valley was pretty muddy but the rocks everywhere else resist mud. :)

Between Pen Mar and Boiling Springs, hmm... I like the view from Chimney Rocks, the site of Antietam Shelter, the rhododendrons of Quarry Gap, Sunset Rocks short side trail near Toms Run, the current half-way point just trail-south of Pine Grove Furnace, the Ironmaster's hostel at Pine Grove Furnace, the half-way marker post unless it got moved recently, Pole Steeple (but the blue blaze is more interesting than the A.T.), near Whiskey Springs seems to me more interesting rocks than usual for Pa., Center Point Knob (the pre-WWII half-way point) with its marker plaque that was apparently gone before Earl's hike in 1948, iron ore pits in the woods on the way down to Boiling Springs, and of course that pretty little town where I used to live - just don't go in the Tavern or try to do laundry.

zoidfu
03-19-2008, 07:51
From Rausch Gap to Cove Mt is pretty good. A few mud pits right after the Rausch shelter but that's about it... Of course most of it isn't in the valley and what is in the valley is paved...

Why don't you want to go to the tavern in Boiling springs?

ki0eh
03-19-2008, 08:19
Why don't you want to go to the tavern in Boiling springs?

Too uppity and expensive and the food isn't even that good. Go to CJ's Cafe across the lake or Anile's pizzeria around the corner - food's better and cheaper. (Caveat: I'm not much of a drinker.)

Wags
03-19-2008, 11:51
thanks gang! i guess i'll head out as long as the rain holds off

ki0eh
03-19-2008, 12:25
Goin' anywhere you want to tell us about? (Seeing as how southeastern Dauphin County seems to be well represented in this thread...)

NativePennsylvanian
03-19-2008, 17:44
You should go out even if it is raining.

Cookerhiker
03-19-2008, 22:44
...in PA, I'm hiking the Laurel Highlands Trail starting next week - Wednesday the 26th. I'm allowing 6 days/5 nights. Anyone been out there lately?

Cosmo Rules
03-19-2008, 23:40
K-N & I will be in PA. 1st week of April. Thanks for the info.

Wags
03-20-2008, 01:04
kio unsure yet. gotta see what the old lady is up for :D

they're calling for freaking rain all morning saturday and snow showers later in the day! BOOOOOOOOOO

ki0eh
03-23-2008, 20:48
You should go out even if it is raining.

Glad to see someone from S.C. thinks that way ;) - weekend before last someone from Centre County bailed one night on me because it was raining - and he even wrote about it: http://www.pahikes.com/trails/midstate17.asp

Cosmo Rules
03-31-2008, 23:08
Is the PA trail guide available on-line? From Pen Mar to Boiling Springs to be exact.

NativePennsylvanian
04-01-2008, 09:11
http://www.aldha.org/companyn/wv-pa07.pdf

Cosmo Rules
04-01-2008, 16:29
Thanks for the link.
What's to do at the Alec Kennedy shelter?

1azarus
04-01-2008, 16:29
Just hiked Pine Grove Furnace to Harpers Ferry -- the 26th thru the 29th. Water only where it is supposed to be: just about impossible to find mud on the trail. I think it must have been national boy scout week, though... I think they're back in school now.

ki0eh
04-01-2008, 21:03
What's to do at the Alec Kennedy shelter?

Not a whole lot. It's not one of the most palatial, in a quiet wooded hollow, very small stream just below. If you follow that hollow straight down vs. following the current blazed A.T. route, you come to a camp for troubled kids. Not quite 4 miles to Boiling Springs from Alec Kennedy but the sidewalks roll up early in that town. The only excitement in B.S. is when the train rolls through the Sunday Farm campsite and honks at approximately 2:30 a.m., but at Alec Kennedy you'll be spared.

c.coyle
04-02-2008, 14:07
[Boiling Springs Hotel is] [t]oo uppity and expensive and the food isn't even that good. Go to CJ's Cafe across the lake or Anile's pizzeria around the corner - food's better and cheaper. (Caveat: I'm not much of a drinker.)

Just eat at the bar and avoid the dining room, which is kind of dowdy. We've never felt unwelcome, dirty and stinky as we were. Haven't been there in about a year, but the smoked trout sandwich used to be heavenly.

tina.anderson
04-03-2008, 13:29
I will be in central PA around mid July to see some family there. I've had some pretty good hikes there, but I prefer where I live.

dctax4u
04-03-2008, 13:35
I was planning on doing a quick hike from Pen Mar to US40 in MD next week, but heck I might have to cross the Mason Dixon Line and hike a piece of the PA section instead

Cosmo Rules
04-03-2008, 14:37
PA, Here we come...

ki0eh
04-03-2008, 14:51
Here are a couple of sites with (principally day-)hike selections in central PA:

http://www.pahikes.com/
http://www.midatlantichikes.com/pa.htm
http://www.satc-hike.org/hikemap.html