PDA

View Full Version : MSR Hyperflow

mrc237
03-19-2008, 07:09
Anyone have any experience with this product? BP gives it a nice writeup. Its small, light, fast, durable and dependable. Can filter 3 liters in a minute. (I'd like to see that). I know its new and most suppliers don't have it stocked yet but there's some "gearhead" out there with one. Lets hear about it!

Mrs Baggins
03-19-2008, 07:27
Anyone have any experience with this product? BP gives it a nice writeup. Its small, light, fast, durable and dependable. Can filter 3 liters in a minute. (I'd like to see that). I know its new and most suppliers don't have it stocked yet but there's some "gearhead" out there with one. Lets hear about it!

It's not even in the stores yet. I desperately wanted one and tried to order it from REI because they had it in their catalog. Then they said they didn't actually have it, and MSR says it won't be out til sometime in April. :mad:

kytrailman
03-19-2008, 08:01
Just make you one-- it is alot cheaper!!!!!

GlazeDog
03-20-2008, 09:20
I can't wait to see this thing. I like so far that there is only one hose--two hoses don't touch leading to cross contamination. That speed sounds excellent. I'm mainly curious how well it can suck water out of a very shallow trickle of a water source down between some rocks like behind that last shelter before Damascus (what was the name again??) Getting water out of there stunk. Currently I think the MSR Sweetwater is great for this rare situation.

Really looking forward to more reviews on the HyperFlow.

GlazeDog

mrc237
03-27-2008, 03:54
A positive reveiw: http://www.feedthehabit.com/outdoors/2008-msr-hyperflow-microfilter/

Jaybird62
03-27-2008, 04:02
A positive reveiw: http://www.feedthehabit.com/outdoors/2008-msr-hyperflow-microfilter/
Thanks for posting. I really want to get one of these-guess I will have to wait until april

RadioFreq
03-27-2008, 11:45
Wait a minute. I, too, was planning on getting one. However I don't use Nalgenes or anything with the wide opening, only soda bottles and a Platypus 2L bag. I haven't seen anything about an adaptor...maybe I missed it. Think I'll wait until the fine folks at REI have one in their hot little hands to show me before I get excited.

RedneckRye
03-28-2008, 00:55
The accessories for the Hyperflow are available, we got the bottle adapter at the shop where I work about a month ago. It fits the MSR Drom bags and Nalgene bottles. There is probably an adapter for the Platypus bags since MSR and Platypus are the same company and they are putting out a gravity fed version of the HyperFlow that connects to 2 Platys.
Now if only MSR could only get their new White Gas fuel bottles out. Canada is now requiring that all fuel bottles have a child proof cap, so MSR decided to redesign their bottles for the whole world. I realize that this does not effect alcohol or cannister users, but it is kind of a drag if you need a bottle for your liquid fuel stove now and can't find one.
MSR makes great stuff, they just should not advertise it until they are sure they can actually manufacture it in enough of a quantity that they can sell it.
Last year it was their Reactor Stove, supposedly available in the spring. Didn't ship until October.
In '06 (or maybe '05) their non-pressurized liquid fuel stove. I saw a pre-production model, with a flame and everything. It never came out.
I can't wait to see what they can't produce on time next year.

kytrailman
03-28-2008, 13:24
Make your own. I'll believe the 3L/min when I see it.

borntobeoutdoors
03-28-2008, 15:11
Any word on price? For the unit or replacement cartridges?

They say "Field cleanable" but if there is a lot of stuff IN the water, then it has to affect the filter, right? And does it do that 3 liter when the water has a lot of grit or other matter in it?

I'd be interested, but I would wait until it's been used by folks like us in the field for a while before I'll run out and buy.

Hawk

Cyclops
04-02-2008, 07:56
Last night the MSR rep came by the REI where i work and among other nice new toys (like the Reactor stove ) had a hyperflow, to my great joy:). It comes with (as has been mentioned earlier) a quick-connect cap for various containers and this interesting pre-filter made out of what looks like a flat piece of material that the hose end (and, like was also mentioned earlier, it does come with just ONE hose) connects into. He filled a liter nalgene bottle in a time that I have to say was pretty darn fast. He unscrewed it and showed us the filter element, which looks like a cross-section of hundreds of tiny little straws (this is apparently derived from kidney dialysis technology and enables you to have a vastly greater surface area and therefore a faster flow rate). You can shake it up and backflush it to clean, and the filter has a lifetime of 1500 liters. You want to take care to not let it freeze. This is a rather bad thing. Put it in a ziplock bag, maybe in your sleeping bag or something like that. It weighs 7.8 oz and has a MSRP of less than $100 (I think it was 79 or something surprisingly cheap like that,but honestly I can't recall right now). He said they are looking for a late-April early May shipping date. MSR (or rather Cascade Designs, which is the parent company of MSR and also includes thermarest, SealLine and Platypus as well) doesn't like to ship new products until they are basically absolutely perfect. That's why the Reactor was pushed back so much, after Christmas and all. The automatic thermal cutoff sensor failed in something like .01% of the test units. I figure that this makes them the opposite of Microsoft ;).
I figure that if one just HAS to filter water, which is a chore that I just despise on the trail:datzthen this thing is the way to go. I just might buy one ;).

mrc237
04-03-2008, 08:00
Last night the MSR rep came by the REI where i work and among other nice new toys (like the Reactor stove ) had a hyperflow, to my great joy:). It comes with (as has been mentioned earlier) a quick-connect cap for various containers and this interesting pre-filter made out of what looks like a flat piece of material that the hose end (and, like was also mentioned earlier, it does come with just ONE hose) connects into. He filled a liter nalgene bottle in a time that I have to say was pretty darn fast. He unscrewed it and showed us the filter element, which looks like a cross-section of hundreds of tiny little straws (this is apparently derived from kidney dialysis technology and enables you to have a vastly greater surface area and therefore a faster flow rate). You can shake it up and backflush it to clean, and the filter has a lifetime of 1500 liters. You want to take care to not let it freeze. This is a rather bad thing. Put it in a ziplock bag, maybe in your sleeping bag or something like that. It weighs 7.8 oz and has a MSRP of less than $100 (I think it was 79 or something surprisingly cheap like that,but honestly I can't recall right now). He said they are looking for a late-April early May shipping date. MSR (or rather Cascade Designs, which is the parent company of MSR and also includes thermarest, SealLine and Platypus as well) doesn't like to ship new products until they are basically absolutely perfect. That's why the Reactor was pushed back so much, after Christmas and all. The automatic thermal cutoff sensor failed in something like .01% of the test units. I figure that this makes them the opposite of Microsoft ;).
I figure that if one just HAS to filter water, which is a chore that I just despise on the trail:datzthen this thing is the way to go. I just might buy one ;).

Nice report Cyc please keep us informed as to availability

envirodiver
04-03-2008, 11:32
Yeah thanks Cyclops.

I'm very intrigued by this filter, love the fact that you can backwash it. I think I may have to buy me one.

Did he say anything about the cost of replacement filter elements?

Cyclops
04-05-2008, 14:23
If he mentioned anything about the cost of replacement cartridge, I don't remember it :(. I have a dealer catalog, but it does not list MSRP's in it. I will see what I can find out at work.
This hollow fiber technology (the tiny straws) is also what is used in their new Autoflow Gravity filters.
You do not want these things to freeze. Really, you do not want any filter to freeze, but even if you pump all the water out there is still enough to break the fibers. There is supposed to be a test if the filter is still good that involves filtering some water and looking for air bubbles, but I understand it is kind of hit and miss.

RedneckRye
04-06-2008, 14:48
Here are prices from the 2008 Cascade Designs Dealer Price List
MSR Hyperflow Microfilter $79.95 Replacement Cartridge $39.95
MSR Autoflow Gravity Filter Kit $79.95 Replacement Cartridge $39.95
Platypus Cleanstream Gravity Filter System $79.95 Replacement Cartridge $39.95

THe Hyperflow is a pump style filter. The Autoflow is a gravity feed system that has a 4 liter MSR rolltop dromedary type bag above the filter and a hose with a bottle type connecter below the filter. The Cleanstream has a 4 liter Platypus bag above and below the filter (one is labeled DIRTY, the other CLEAN) .

Here are links...
http://www.msrgear.com/watertreatment/hyperflow.asp
http://www.msrgear.com/watertreatment/autoflow.asp
http://www.platypushydration.com/product_detail.aspx?ProdID=29

When will they actually be available for sale??? Who knows.

TwoForty
04-06-2008, 22:41
Everywhere I see them has them priced for $99. Is the MSRP really $79 and the big stores are price gouging due to demand, or did MSR jack the MSRP to $99?

kytrailman
04-07-2008, 07:21
Homemade gravity system with .1 micron filter and 4.5 liter dirty bag capacity.( 6 oz.)--50 bucks. :)

gearfreak
04-07-2008, 12:51
Looks as though this little rascal might finally be available. Added it to my cart and proceeded to checkout on REI.com (http://www.rei.com/product/767564) without any "backordered" notice. Did not complete purchase as I have no need. Prefer homemade gravity system using Sawyer filter and platypus bladders. :cool:

RedneckRye
04-08-2008, 03:11
Everywhere I see them has them priced for $99. Is the MSRP really $79 and the big stores are price gouging due to demand, or did MSR jack the MSRP to $99?

Yep, my mistake.
The Hyperflow is $99.95. Seems that I can't read my own writing when it is scrawled on a scrap of paper and rides in my pocket for a few days.
Sorry about that.

TwoForty
04-08-2008, 19:34
Yep, my mistake.
The Hyperflow is $99.95. Seems that I can't read my own writing when it is scrawled on a scrap of paper and rides in my pocket for a few days.
Sorry about that.

Nothing to apologize about, although you did get my hopes up.

Hooch
04-08-2008, 19:52
Looks as though this little rascal might finally be available. Added it to my cart and proceeded to checkout on REI.com (http://www.rei.com/product/767564) without any "backordered" notice. Did not complete purchase as I have no need. Prefer homemade gravity system using Sawyer filter and platypus bladders. :cool:
I just got done using the live help online feature at REI.com. They have the MSR Hyperlite in stock and ready to ship at REI, just in case anyone is interested.

Cyclops
04-14-2008, 17:16
Yes, a co-worker and myself looked it up on rei.com a few days ago and it was not on backorder or anything like that. Have not seen it in the store just yet.

drivebyjustin
04-14-2008, 18:05
i tried one at great outdoor here this weekend when the msr rep was there. pumps really fast...i think i filled a liter in about 20 seconds. however it does not have a carbon portion of the filter like the hiker pro or sweetwater so it wont take any foul tastes out of the water. also as said before if it freezes its all over for the element. the rep did say something interesting concerning the life of the filter...said that the lifespan they advertise is if a user were to never backflow the filter. however with consistent backflowing the filter should last indefinitely.

Mrs Baggins
04-14-2008, 19:34
Wait a minute. I, too, was planning on getting one. However I don't use Nalgenes or anything with the wide opening, only soda bottles and a Platypus 2L bag. I haven't seen anything about an adaptor...maybe I missed it. Think I'll wait until the fine folks at REI have one in their hot little hands to show me before I get excited.

I gave up on the Hyperflow coming out and bought an MSR Waterworks. Love it. And I have the Platypus 2 liter hydration system. I just stuck the outflow tube down in the bag and pumped. No problem. Didn't need a special adapter for that. I also have the Platypus 4 liter "fetch" bag - - no adapter, just put the hose down in it and pumped. No big deal.

Frau
04-17-2008, 09:05
Nessmuk was asking last night about new water filters that clean the water via ionization. I have a friend with a swimming pool filter that cleans that way. Do these new models work via ionization? Do any of you know what I am talkikng about?

Frau

RedneckRye
04-17-2008, 09:34
My understanding is that the Hyperflow works kind of like a dialysis machine. The pump pushes the water into "U" shaped loops of permeable tubing. Water passes thru the sides of the hose, "stuff"does not.
The tube technology came from the medical industry.

Symbol
04-17-2008, 20:15

The end of the pump that screws onto the Nalgene cap adaptor fits very snuggly into the inside of a Platypus opening... and I guess, soda bottles too.

TwoForty
04-19-2008, 23:32
The end of the pump that screws onto the Nalgene cap adaptor fits very snuggly into the inside of a Platypus opening... and I guess, soda bottles too.

Does the output have a nipple that you can connect an output hose to? I use a gatorade bottle so I need a hose.

mrc237
04-20-2008, 07:35
I am ordering one today!

Cyclops
04-21-2008, 20:53
I worked yesterday and was pleasantly surprised to see a Hyperflow on the water filter shelf! I was just on my way to do something else entirely, and Lo and Behold, there it was. Just one of them. So there you are.

Chicken Feathers
05-24-2008, 12:17
what is msrp:-?

take-a-knee
05-24-2008, 13:05
what is msrp:-?

Manufacturers' suggested retail price.

Berserker
05-27-2008, 13:23
Does the output have a nipple that you can connect an output hose to? I use a gatorade bottle so I need a hose.

I just recently got one of these. Haven't field tested it yet (will be doing that next week). To answer you question, yes. You can hook a platy hose (like on a Hoser) directly to the output fitting. The output fitting also "press fits" into a platy opening or the same size opening on containers like soda bottles. It also comes with an adaptor for Nalgenes.

rtober
05-27-2008, 15:52
I just recently got one of these. Haven't field tested it yet (will be doing that next week). To answer you question, yes. You can hook a platy hose (like on a Hoser) directly to the output fitting. The output fitting also "press fits" into a platy opening or the same size opening on containers like soda bottles. It also comes with an adaptor for Nalgenes.

I have my output hose rigged with a Platypus quick-disconnect (male end). A female end on my platypus 2L and one on my camelback hydration bladder (with enough hose to have the female end outside my pack) and it's a quick click/snap on/off for water refills.

gearfreak
05-28-2008, 09:40
As hard as it is to believe, these are actually in stock and available here (http://www.backcountry.com/store/CAS0471/MSR-HyperFlow-Microfilter.html?mv_pc=r175) with a 10% discount and free shipping to boot! :cool:

Berserker
05-28-2008, 13:44
I have my output hose rigged with a Platypus quick-disconnect (male end). A female end on my platypus 2L and one on my camelback hydration bladder (with enough hose to have the female end outside my pack) and it's a quick click/snap on/off for water refills.

That's a really good idea. I may have to buy some of those and rig something up myself.

jbwood5
05-28-2008, 14:16
As hard as it is to believe, these are actually in stock and available here (http://www.backcountry.com/store/CAS0471/MSR-HyperFlow-Microfilter.html?mv_pc=r175) with a 10% discount and free shipping to boot! :cool:

How do you get the 10% discount?

gearfreak
05-28-2008, 14:42
How do you get the 10% discount?

Looks like they've pulled that offer since my post. :mad:

cjoshuav
06-10-2008, 12:22
We just took one on an overnight backpacking trip and I was astonished at how well it worked. Very, very fast and the water tasted great!

Joshua

wrongway_08
06-10-2008, 12:31
i tried one at great outdoor here this weekend when the msr rep was there. pumps really fast...i think i filled a liter in about 20 seconds. however it does not have a carbon portion of the filter like the hiker pro or sweetwater so it wont take any foul tastes out of the water. also as said before if it freezes its all over for the element. the rep did say something interesting concerning the life of the filter...said that the lifespan they advertise is if a user were to never backflow the filter. however with consistent backflowing the filter should last indefinitely.

Thats a shame, the only reason I use a pump is to get rid of the taste and dirt - I could care less about the germs.

$90.00 the damn thing better make the water taste good. I'll stick to the Hiker Pro for now.

wrongway_08
06-10-2008, 12:35
We just took one on an overnight backpacking trip and I was astonished at how well it worked. Very, very fast and the water tasted great!

Joshua

What was the water like before filtering it? Concerning the taste, was it all dirty and nasty smelling or a good water source? Would like to know if it really cleans up the taste of nasty water.

Has anyone used this filter on nasty smelling water? If so, did it help the taste and smell or just clean the germs from the water?

Thanks.

Incahiker
06-10-2008, 16:05
I had the same questions for this water filter. The answer is, no, it does not take the smell or color out of the water. If the water tastes bad at its source, it will also taste bad after being filtered. It is missing activated charcoal which makes the water clear and tasty. But even though the water may taste nasty and look gross, you won't get sick. I will stick with my miniworks for right now, I like my water tasty and clear:D

envirodiver
06-10-2008, 16:23
By definition it is a filter. So if the pore size is small enough to filter out prtozoans (Giardia and Crypto) and bacteria it will certainly filter out solids like dirt, floatables, etc. The water should be clear should have all of that removed.

Only thing that it likely will not do without carbon is remove disolved organics and non-organics like humic and fulvic acids that are from decomposing leaves and other organic matter. These create color in the water and may not be removed if present. These are found more in Florida and lower south not so much in the mountains where the origination of the source is much closer to where you filter it. May not remove tastes either that are from sulfer and those types of compunds.

Chicken Feathers
06-11-2008, 11:57

Joshua
Josh be sure to store with bleach as directed had friend that did not stored with bleach and he used it the following week and he had stomach trouble. We ate the samething but he used his filter and I used mine but he got sick and I did not

rtober
06-11-2008, 12:26
Just got done with a short 3 day from Springer to Tesnatee Gap and used my MSR Hyper the whole time. Water sources varied from stuff like Frick Creek at 3 Forks to some "spring holes" up past Neel's Gap.

Observations:
1) Flow rate is awesome - I could pump almost 100ozs in about the same time my 1st brother could Steripen his water bottle (24 ozs or so). It definately out preformed my other brother's MSR Sweatwater by a long shot.
2) The fine mesh on the pickup hose does a good job keeping very fine particulate out of the filter - silt and broken up leaf debris wasn't a problem
3) As mentioned, it doesn't filter organic taste but for the AT section we were on this wasn't much of a problem.
4) Quick-disconnects make it a snap to fill hydration bladders without tearing packs down (same for any mechanical filter though)
5) I didn't get sick (neither did either of my brothers so I can't claim the Hyperflow caught any nasties over another filter method)
6) the pre-filter pad has a tendancy to float suction side up close to the surface - if you just drop it in the water you'll pull a lot of air through the filter. not a problem for bottles but it's can be a hassle with hydration bladders.
7) field stripping was easy - unit breaks down into 5 pieces

Overall - very happy with the overall weight-performance-cost level of the unit.

mrc237
06-22-2008, 14:44
Finally got a chance to use my HF this WE. After using it to filter 8+ liters I concluded that using this filter no longer requires the process to be called a "chore".

rafe
06-22-2008, 14:54
Finally got a chance to use my HF this WE. After using it to filter 8+ liters I concluded that using this filter no longer requires the process to be called a "chore".

Will that still be true after filtering some murky or muddy water? Just askin.'

mrc237
06-23-2008, 08:06
Usually stay clear of M&M water but pre filter should work fine when that situation occurs. (I hope) :)

rafe
06-23-2008, 08:39
Usually stay clear of M&M water but pre filter should work fine when that situation occurs. (I hope) :)

I stay clear of the stuff when I can... but there are times when there's no other choice. If I could have access to clear fresh running water all the time, I'd consider not carrying a filter.

earthbound
06-23-2008, 09:20
I've been using the hyperflow on my thru hike for the last month or so. I'm still undecided about it. At first it was awesome. It filtered water faster than people could use aqua mira, steripen or anything else. It still is pretty fast. I met some other thrus using it and they hadn't backflushed it and theirs was ridiculously slow. Basically, they ruined it. So I'm now backflushing mine whenever I'm in town and while it wasn't as fast as when it was brandnew, it is still fast.