PDA

View Full Version : Work on the way up.

Atreau
03-19-2008, 09:02
I have heard there are locations (such as farms) along the way that hire thru-hikers. Any information would be appreciated. See ya down the trail!

rafe
03-19-2008, 09:07
I believe there's one near Blackburn Trail Center (a bit south of Harpers Ferry.) There's a sign on the trail (a few miles N. of Blackburn) and a blue-blaze heading downhill, to the east.

Atreau
03-24-2008, 12:31
thanks alot for the information.

ScottP
03-24-2008, 14:19
there's one in damascus as well, and sometimes the outfitter in HF hires hikers.

Don't expect to make anything better than minimum wage though.

fiddlehead
03-24-2008, 19:45
We needed some laborers on a carpentry job in NH a few years ago.
Went to the trail, put out a sign saying: Hikers wanted for some hard work. $10 an hour and AYCE.
Had lots of thru-hikers come and work a few days.
It was fun for all of us. (mostly watching them eat and telling stories)

Atreau
03-29-2008, 12:08
Thanks alot guys for your input, if anyone out there has any other information please feel free to share. As of right now I am in Gatlingburg and hope to make it to Hot Springs by Wensday. Thanks

CrumbSnatcher
03-29-2008, 12:16
I have heard there are locations (such as farms) along the way that hire thru-hikers. Any information would be appreciated. See ya down the trail!
ask Elmer at the sunnybank inn in hot springs n.c. he also has a farm outside of town. he works thruhikers the last i knew. good luck

turtle fast
03-29-2008, 13:13
Though you can find some work here and there, I don't think you could fund an entire hike with this kind of work...the farm work on organic farms is called woofing. it is quite popular in Europe and Israel.

Atreau
03-31-2008, 10:38
Well I will be sure to keep that in mind as I make my way to maine