PDA

View Full Version : Trail Conditions of AT

horicon
03-19-2008, 09:45
How are the trail conditions near Harpers Ferry, WV??

Appalachian Tater
03-19-2008, 11:40
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a4/C_and_O_canal_bike_trip_042.jpg/400px-C_and_O_canal_bike_trip_042.jpg

Here's what it looks like for a couple of miles north after you cross the bridge.

buff_jeff
03-19-2008, 13:23
North of Harpers Ferry is cake. I have no experience south of it.

Locutus
03-19-2008, 13:34
I thought bikes were not allowed on the trail?

buff_jeff
03-19-2008, 13:37
I thought bikes were not allowed on the trail?

The trail is on the C&O Canal Towpath for a few miles north of Harpers Ferry.

Blissful
03-19-2008, 13:37
South you go up on a ridgeline which has some Civil War trenchwork, etc. Interesting history.

Blissful
03-19-2008, 13:39
The trail is on the C&O Canal Towpath for a few miles north of Harpers Ferry.

Yeah, fun ducking around them too. We hiked that stretch Memorial Day weekend. But we did get some families ask us about our hike. One looked us up on trail journals and signed my guestbook.

horicon
03-19-2008, 13:42
I am going to be in Harpers Ferry from Sunday evening to Wensday morning.

BT

Lauriep
03-19-2008, 19:18
On Saturday my husband and I (wearing our PATC hats, I mean "helmets") cleared the section from Keys Gap/Route 9 north to the powerline and our own section from Blackburn south to Wilson Gap . Most of the handful of blowdowns were relatively small. We've heard other sections in northern Virginia (at least north of VA 7) are clear or have just a few minor blowdowns. Maryland north of Harpers Ferry is all clear as far as I know.

Still no sign of spring in the woods, but no snow on the ground either. The most spectacular wildflower display close to Harpers Ferry on the A.T. is a colony of trout lily about a tenth of a mile or two south of the Shenandoah River bridge--they bloom around April 10-20.

Laurie P.
ATC

horicon
03-20-2008, 05:18
That sounds good. Do not know how much reali\l hiking I will be doing. I am staying in town.

dessertrat
03-20-2008, 05:39
It's very easy to get out for the day or an afternoon. A footbridge from downtown Harper's Ferry over to the C&O, then it's about three miles up to where the AT goes up Weverton cliffs. A trip to the top of the cliffs or to Ed Garvey shelter (where there's a good view, also) would probably be a good leisurely day hike. (As always, take your ten essentials even if you are only going for a day hike).

Lauriep
03-20-2008, 06:29
Harpers Ferry is a great day-hiking town. There are more than a dozen possible day-hikes, almost all with views, in a 5-mile radius, ranging from perfectly flat to strenuous. Harpers Ferry National Historical Park has recently acquired a lot of new land, and has built a number of new trails--mostly short loops across former battlefields: Bolivar Heights, The Murphy Farm, and most recently, Schoolhouse Ridge (no maps of this one yet). There are views of the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers, views of mountains, and views of Harpers Ferry with its well-preserved 19th century landscape. There's lots of Civil War history here, but also African American history. Harpers Ferry was siginficant in the Niagara Movement, which was the predecessor of the NAACP.

The historic Hilltop House Hotel is closed until at least 2010 for renovations, so the $40 hiker rate there is gone. However, a new place called "The Towns Inn" runs a small hostel in the lower-town historic district. A bunk there is $30, but the inn also has B&B rooms for up to $120. There are also one motel in town and another close by (not cheap by hiker standards) and lots of B&Bs. The Harpers Ferry Hostel is a couple of miles away in Maryland as the crow flies, but to get there without illegally crossing the CSX RR it's about 4 miles.

Unfortunately, Harpers Ferry proper lacks basic amenities for long-distance hikers on a budget. The population is about 300 people, and isn't big enough to support some of the businesses hikers need (although we do have an exceptionally hiker-friendly outfitter in town). And, there are strict ordinances in Harpers Ferry that prohibit tenting, and Harpers Ferry NHP does not allow tenting either. There's also no place to get showers or do laundry independent of a room (except for KOA, which is 1.6 miles from ATC, and there is no hiker rate--just the RV rate which is more than most hostels). We wish someone would come in and set up a hiker hostel and sell groceries!

Laurie P.
ATC

clured
03-21-2008, 03:00
HF to Duncannon is the easiest part of the AT.

horicon
03-24-2008, 16:26
I am in Harrpesrs Ferry till Wendsday morning. Staying at the Comfort Inn
US 340 & Union St.
Harpers Ferry, WV, US 25425
Phone: (304) 535-6391

horicon
03-24-2008, 16:27
After Hapers Ferry I am goinmg to DC for "dAY"

wilconow
03-24-2008, 16:41
Thanks for the update.

horicon
03-31-2008, 09:36
Had a great trip to Harpers Ferry, WV. Walked the section of the AT in WV and stoped by at HQ. No Snow. Crossed into Maryland and walked down part of the on the canal. Photos will follow.

The Big J
03-31-2008, 11:16
HF to Duncannon is the easiest part of the AT.

I am planning a section hike the end of April. I am thinking Pine Gove Furnace to Harpers Ferry 80mi. , 8 days. This being the easiest part of the A.T.. I was thinking Boiling Sprngs to Harpers ferry in 8 days. I will not have my tail legs, but i am in shape. Looking for some opinions on which route to go.