PDA

View Full Version : Weaker? Wiser? Or some of both?

Bearpaw
03-19-2008, 12:09
Well, I'm enjoying my Spring Break in Alabama with my fiancee and her family, watching the rain pour down.

My plans were to hike the Bartram Trail, taking nine days to cover the full 100+ miles. But with the severe storms of the weekend, including the tornadoes that ripped up Atlanta, I decided not to hike Saturday. So instead of crunching the BT into 8 days, I decided to hike the 76 miles of the Foothills Trail over 6 days. And after three days of great trail, but bad hip chafing and quickly degrading weather, I chose to hitch over to my truck yesterday morning after 30 miles.

So now I sit here wondering. Would I have doggedly pressed on 9 years ago while hiking the AT? I think yes, but wonder if that's because I knew there would be a dry shelter at day's end instead of a wet tent? Or would I have hitched into a town to avoid the lightning and storms? Did I wimp out, or was it a wise choice since I can come back and finish the trail in an easy 4 days in late May when summer vacation hits?

Looking out at the downpour from the safety of this house, I have to admit I am GLAD I'm not out in this mess right now.

So am I using wisdom as a cover for not being young and reckless and lively enough to happily stomp through the rain and mud and lightning the way I used to?

Oh well, enough pondering. I'll have the trip report with pics by this Sunday.

JAK
03-19-2008, 12:19
Didn't know you were getting married Bearpaw. Congrats.

Cuffs
03-19-2008, 12:27
Try the Pinhoti Trail... ?

CrumbSnatcher
03-19-2008, 12:33
Well, I'm enjoying my Spring Break in Alabama with my fiancee and her family, watching the rain pour down.

My plans were to hike the Bartram Trail, taking nine days to cover the full 100+ miles. But with the severe storms of the weekend, including the tornadoes that ripped up Atlanta, I decided not to hike Saturday. So instead of crunching the BT into 8 days, I decided to hike the 76 miles of the Foothills Trail over 6 days. And after three days of great trail, but bad hip chafing and quickly degrading weather, I chose to hitch over to my truck yesterday morning after 30 miles.

So now I sit here wondering. Would I have doggedly pressed on 9 years ago while hiking the AT? I think yes, but wonder if that's because I knew there would be a dry shelter at day's end instead of a wet tent? Or would I have hitched into a town to avoid the lightning and storms? Did I wimp out, or was it a wise choice since I can come back and finish the trail in an easy 4 days in late May when summer vacation hits?

Looking out at the downpour from the safety of this house, I have to admit I am GLAD I'm not out in this mess right now.

So am I using wisdom as a cover for not being young and reckless and lively enough to happily stomp through the rain and mud and lightning the way I used to?

Oh well, enough pondering. I'll have the trip report with pics by this Sunday. there are two bulls on a hill top, over looking a bunch of cows down in the valley. the young bull says lets run down there and play with a cow? the older bull says no! lets walk down and play with them all. IMO you did not whimp out.

jhick
03-19-2008, 12:33
How about just more enjoyable?

gsingjane
03-19-2008, 12:37
We have bailed out on several trips where the weather was predicted to be horrible, nothing as major as hurricanes or tornadoes, but just if it promised to be unbelievably hot and muggy and buggy, or to be a cold rain for days on end. I personally don't think there's anything wrong with not going when you know there is a 99.9% chance you're going to be miserable. I think it is a normal human instinct to prefer to be inside where it is dry and warm than out shivering in a wet tent or sleeping bag. Yes, as backpackers we are willing to put up with much more discomfort to pursue the activity we love, but that does not mean our appetite for suffering is unlimited, or that it somehow makes us "less" as backpackers to admit that.

JMHO!

Jane in CT

hobojoe
03-19-2008, 12:53
See thru-hiker adage #463:
The best time for hiking is always tommorow.
or # 325:
I'm thru-hiking.......through hiking if it keeps raining like this!
but not #13
NO RAIN, NO PAIN, NO MAINE!!!

woodsy
03-19-2008, 13:12
I vote for wiser. Given the choice, who wouldn't opt to hike in good weather.

GGS2
03-19-2008, 13:18
Depends what your point in being there is/was. You can learn a lot by going out when you might ought to stay home, but chances are it won't be as comfortable. We are none of us as used to varied weather conditions and all the circumstances of the great out doors as were our ancestors, the really old ones. We all come from people who used to live out there. So it's really just a matter of competing priorities. You want to be a real outdoorsman? Be out doors. In all weathers, all conditions, all seasons. You want to be comfortable? Choose your time.

As for the uncomfortable hip belt, get it fixed. Come off trail to do so, if that seems to be the best solution, but then get back to it. Or just try to fix it up temporarily, or live with it. Your call.

No judgment in any of this. It's all your decision, your life. Do what you want. Just try to be clear in your own mind what that is. Second guessing and regrets are self abuse you can do without. If you aren't happy with the way it turned out, do it different next time. Learn and live.

Tipi Walter
03-19-2008, 13:31
Here's my fetid opinion: With a certain amount of time allotted for a backpacking trip(let's say 10 days), I'd want to stay out those days whether I'm putting in the miles or not, cuz the opportunity to be out might not come again or I could die in my sleep back in the civilized world without having had a recent trip, etc. So, when I've been caught in Miss Nature's meanness, I just set up the tent and hang out for a while, sometimes a long while.

The only consideration is the first day of a trip as I don't like to start out in a deluge. But lately, as some of my trips have been curtailed due to family responsibilites, if I get a chance at a 5 or 8 day trip, I'll take it no matter heck or high water.

In your case, why didn't you just sit tight for a while? Or start back the 30 miles the way you came? You could've reached your truck that way, too.

Now the hip belt thing is in a different category, not really a wimping out but a gear issue. Happened to me using a new Kelty external carrying 65 pounds, but I kept on the schedule and god smiled on me when I got back and walked into a Chattanooga backpacking store where they had their Dana Designs Terraplanes on sale with a 40% discount. New pack, hundreds of days of more bag nights.:)

Bearpaw
03-19-2008, 14:49
Now the hip belt thing is in a different category, not really a wimping out but a gear issue.

The crazy thing is that I've used this pack (My ULA Catalyst) repeatedly and it has been the most comfortable hip belt I've ever used. I've never had any notable chafing before. As nearly as I can tell, the chafing was due to tucking my shirt into my shorts on day one. The wicking material was fairly slick and it caused my shorts to slide down where the elastic and interior belt bunched under the hip belt. That and the combination that I've lost about 35 pounds since the first of the year seem to have contributed to the chafing.

As for going backwards, it wouldn't have taken me to my truck. The Foothills Trail is a one-way deal where I staged my truck at Table Rock State Park and my fiancee dropped me off at Oconee State Park. Laying low would have caused the folks at Table Rock to start a search because they require an itinerary before you begin the hike. It was a bit of a problem caused by outside agencies.

But I am seriously considering simply slackpacking the rest of the trail in May. I never slackpacked on the AT, but I'm seriously considering doing it for some upcoming shorter "long" trails in the southeast.

Bearpaw
03-19-2008, 14:53
Didn't know you were getting married Bearpaw. Congrats.

Yeah, I got engaged to Sleeps With Skunks back in November. We're set for the wedding in May if I don't go running into the hills in terror first. I'm just afraid she'd probably track me down there too.

Of course I love her. It's just that marriage is for, you know, life, and the thought of a life sentence is pretty severe........;)

jhick
03-19-2008, 15:12
....makes 2,000 miles sounds short.

hobojoe
03-19-2008, 15:14
Will the skunks stay in your bed too?

Bearpaw
03-19-2008, 15:15
....makes 2,000 miles sounds short.

Yeah, sort of a steamy tempestuous 6-month fling. Now that I think about it, I've had a lot of those.....:-?

Maybe that's why marriage is such an intimidating endeavor for me. :rolleyes:

jhick
03-19-2008, 15:22
Take it from a 'single again guy'.... if you don't view it as an 'intimidating endeavor' you simply are not thinking. I'm not downing marriage, but you really REALLY gotta do some thinking/soul searching. Good luck, I wish you the best!

Tin Man
03-19-2008, 15:27
I have called it quits early on two section hikes due to weather. When I went back to pick up where I left off, the weather was much worse. Go figure.

Bearpaw
03-19-2008, 15:37
I have called it quits early on two section hikes due to weather. When I went back to pick up where I left off, the weather was much worse. Go figure.

You know, the irony in that is just sickening. And yet, I feel I can strangely identify with it.

The good news about the FHT and the Bartram Trail is they are within a 1/2-day drive, and with the time off I get from teaching, I can afford to be selective. Now if it were summer and I were on the John Muir Trail in California? I'd likely suck it up, as long as my ankle weren't swollen up like a gold ball sticking out (which it did last summer). The good news? The stress fracture in my ankle was almost unnoticeable from last year. Just the tiniest hint of stiffness after two 12-mile days, and some decent pavement pounding on day 3 while I hitched.

At least I feel better on that point. Now if I can arrange some long-distance slackpacking with Sleeps With Skunks, I can combine my hiking with seeing her most nights AND some of the comforts of car-camping. It's a tempting thought.

Bearpaw
03-19-2008, 15:41
Will the skunks stay in your bed too?

Sleeps With Skunks would give a resounding "NO!!:mad:" On three occasions, skunks have walked up to her while sleeping. The first time, we were under a tarp at Land Between the Lakes NRA. It has taken a LOT for her not to demand a full tent since. However, SHE is the one who has had night-time skunk encounters while she was hiking solo, so she is the one who landed the trail name.

But when I got in from the trail last night after a 5-hour drive, I was NOT a skunk she was going to sleep with, at least until after a shower:D.

10-K
03-19-2008, 16:23

I think I would file this under "It seemed like the right thing to do at the time." and leave it at that.

envirodiver
03-19-2008, 16:35
Certainly different for a long distance hike where you can "hole up" for a few days if neccessary, without getting the rescue squad out.

If you are out in the woods for enjoyment, and find that due to circumstances it's not enjoyable. Then you make a decision.

When younger it was more of a "I'm going to do it come hell or high water" than it is now.

Wilson
03-19-2008, 17:51
My Borrowed motto is...If its not fun, why do it?

Tipi Walter
03-19-2008, 21:45
My Borrowed motto is...If its not fun, why do it?

Why do it? Cuz in this world of oil-addicted, television-worshipping, nature-hating couch potatoes, someone's got to do it.

Otherwise, there'd be no examples to the feeble citified masses that with a tarp or a tent a simple place in the forest can still be our home.

jhick
03-20-2008, 07:39
Why do it? Cuz in this world of oil-addicted, television-worshipping, nature-hating couch potatoes, someone's got to do it.

OMG, you friggin' rule!

Wilson
03-20-2008, 07:50

Otherwise, there'd be no examples to the feeble citified masses that with a tarp or a tent a simple place in the forest can still be our home.

Then why are hostels, hotels, ect. such popular threads here?

And Walter, I've read your TJ, I get the impression that you DO enjoy camping in severe weather...thats why you do it, cause its fun.

Hammock Hanger
03-20-2008, 08:18
Bear Paw, good luck with the upcoming "life sentence"!! Today I am CELEBRATING being in love and loved by the same wonderful person for 28 years. :)

I find that bailing out for whatever reason is so much easier on a short hike. You are not as invested and don't feel like you are losing much by making the change. Basically they little hikes are a vacation of sorts and are to be enjoyed. If you are not enjoying it do something else, life is too short. Of, course as a past thru-hiker you know that is not the mind set that will get you to your goal on a long trail. Then it is just suck it up and hike.

Again, congrats.

Hooch
03-20-2008, 08:20

Oh well, enough pondering. I'll have the trip report with pics by this Sunday.Bearpaw, remember discretion is the better part of valor. You did the right thing, don't second guess yourself. You're too intelligent a man for that. :D

BREEZER
03-20-2008, 08:41
Bearpaw, Your a marine brotha, you have nothing to prove or no reason to suffer any more than you already have. Enjoy the freedoms you fought for. Thank you for your service and have a blast!!!!!. Congrats on the nuptials.

My son went wheels up outta cherry pt this am third tour (2nd Lar). I'm retired. Leaving the 4-5th of april. See you around Bro.

Ghosthiker
03-20-2008, 12:32
Bearpaw, all over this site you see people reminding each other of HYOH. Well, that includes stopping when it just doesn't feel right to "you". I've pulled up short, when others haven't and I've kept going when some didn't. Each decision was based on what was happening and how I was feeling, at that time.

Bearpaw
03-20-2008, 14:20
My son went wheels up outta cherry pt this am third tour (2nd Lar).

Best wishes to and prayers for your son. My final unit in the Marine Corps (2nd A/NGLICO) was headquartered right next to 2nd LAR. I owe a serious debt of gratitude to them for a light armored ride on a couple of occasions.

Hooch
03-20-2008, 14:22
Best wishes to and prayers for your son. My final unit in the Marine Corps (2nd A/NGLICO) was headquartered right next to 2nd LAR. I owe a serious debt of gratitude to them for a light armored ride on a couple of occasions.Ditto here. Godspeed and Semper Fi to your boy. Bearpaw, back in my day, Anglico was out at French Creek. But then again, so was 2nd Force and BN Recon was out at Onslow Beach. Ah, the old days.........:rolleyes:

Sleeps_With_Skunks
03-21-2008, 00:41

Well, I think you made the right decision. Especially after I spread the neosporin on your bruised, raw, crusty, scab covered butt and hips. That was beyond chafing. :eek:

SWS

peanuts
03-21-2008, 10:22
sws, too much information:D

Brushy Sage
03-21-2008, 10:33
Wisdom, in my opinion. You had an objective in mind, and you were willing to adjust when conditions changed. I think you had nothing to prove. Good decision.

Tipi Walter
03-21-2008, 10:36
Well, I think you made the right decision. Especially after I spread the neosporin on your bruised, raw, crusty, scab covered butt and hips. That was beyond chafing. :eek:

SWS

Okay, now that the medevac is over and the dust-off complete, it's time to get back out.:)

Summit
03-21-2008, 12:06
Bearpaw,

Hey, I'm doing the FHT starting 4/19! I've had the same thoughts about persistent rain and no shelter option. I agree with others that section and shorter hikes naturally produce a different mindset. On a "thru" the mindset is "whatever it takes." On a short hike, at least for me, the mindset is "enjoy the experience." When physical problems crop up, bodily or nature, I don't think it's wimping out to opt out and reschedule.

A great item that I always carry likely would have solved your hip chafing issue:

http://www.rei.com/product/745878

The stuff is incredible. Feet, crotch, anywhere you get chafing, the stuff heals incredibly fast. REI is usually always sold out at my local store. You can order it cheaper online (google it).

I'm going to practice setting up my new SD Lightning as if it were pouring rain. I'm going to attach the fly to the tent and pack it that way. In heavy rain, I would lay it out with the fly up on top of the footprint, slide the polls into position between the tent and fly, and raise the fly, then work on raising and properly fastening the tent. I also have a chamois-like, pack towel at 4 oz.:

http://www.rei.com/product/684304?vcat=REI_SEARCH

Whatever water that does get inside the tent, I can dry up with this and if the ground wasn't too muddy, have a pretty dry, comfortable night. Hope you can use some of these suggestions next time! ;)