PDA

View Full Version : Is Mid October to late to start a SOBO from Maine?

riverroyer
03-19-2008, 12:12
Is Mid October to late to start a SOBO from Maine?

wilconow
03-19-2008, 12:33
start here

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.786999/k.548/ThruHiking.htm

Big Blue
03-19-2008, 19:35
I finished as a nobo on oct 11th and would not have wanted to have to do the Whites even that late. Couldn't imagine November.

Hooch
03-19-2008, 19:41
Deja Vu all over again? (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34622)

DavidNH
03-19-2008, 19:44
Quite simply.. YES. Mid October is too late to begin a south bound thru hike from Katahdin. You may not have much trouble getting up Katahdin (though by then weather can already be fickle) but as you get to further south and especially in the White Mountains you will be running into, most likely, some serious winter weather.

It took me a month to get from Gorham, NH to Katahdin. I took my time. If you hike fast you may get to the whites 2-3 weeks, which is to say sometime in first half of November. By then winter will have arrived if it hasn't already come to the western Maine Mountains..such as the Mahoosics. You don't want to hike in winter conditions in northern New England unless you are seriously prepared and have the skills and gear.

If possible, try to leave Katahdin early September. Generally good weather to get through Maine and there won't be any bugs! No guarentee of finding descent weather in the whites or for that matter in the Mahoosics or the Bigelows, but much better chance than if you started in October.

DavidNH

emerald
03-19-2008, 19:49
Consider starting your SOBO hike at Hanover and save the remainder for a NOBO hike later. You don't need to tackle it all at once.

dessertrat
03-19-2008, 20:23
Too late. A month (or preferably, two monthss) earlier might work, but it's really too late.

jersey joe
03-19-2008, 20:29
Don't they close Katahdin mid October?

hammock engineer
03-19-2008, 20:31
I talked to someone last year that did it. But then it was not his first or 4th thru hike. That would be a winter thru hike all the way. Read some of the TJ's from the northbounders who started in early Jan. That is close to what I would expect to see. I talked to one who was on snow shoes last year from VT all thru parts of ME.

It would be a challenge. But man it wouldn't be for me. I wouldn't want to think about it unless I had some serious winter experience.

hammock engineer
03-19-2008, 20:33
Don't they close Katahdin mid October?

No just the park to overnight camping. I believe the mountain is based on its day to day weather conditions.

valleyfire
03-19-2008, 22:06
Sounds Like A Cold Hike

Feral Bill
03-19-2008, 22:16
The Whites in winter is not hiking. It's mountaineering. Don't be there unless that's your goal and you are very prepared. Then expect that you may have to abort that section of the trip or die.

valleyfire
03-20-2008, 11:31
cold and deadly, I'm out

Squeaky 2
03-20-2008, 11:46
i did it in 05. weather was extreme to say the least. record snow fall for the whites for that time of year not to mention most of the 100 mile wilderness being under water. the fords were deadly. if i could i would do it again i would. i loved it. its not about going light though, you will need good winter gear for all conditions. further south you will hit very cold weather. most of the trail south of pa had snow for me and the smokies was all about the thigh deep posthole. all in the AT in winter is very demanding but very rewarding! good luck