PDA

View Full Version : Final Gear List

partinj
03-19-2008, 13:14
Jansport Ex pack 5lbs yet i know heady but fit like a glove ride nice
Mountain hardwear Lamina 15deg. 2lbs 14oz.
Eureka Spitfire 3lbs 4oz.
Sleeping Pad ultralite 1lbs 4oz

Mess Kit
snow peak stove 3.5oz
wind screen 1.5oz.
Kmart greese pot 3.0oz
swift knife 1 3/4oz
Nalgene canteen 2oz.

First Aid kit
hand wipes
ect 7oz.

rain jacket 10oz.
rainpants 8oz.
base layer shirt 8oz.
base layer pants 8oz.
light weight hat & gloves 4oz.
3 pairs of really light nylon short 3oz ea.
3 pair socks smartwool
3 socks liners not sure if take these 3oz total
200 weight fleece jacket 12oz.
2 light weight shirts 4oz ea

water filter 12oz
msr bag 2liters
small am/fm raido 2oz aa battery
compass & maps
polor pure backup
flashlite mini mag with headband
fuel for stove 8oz to start
small pillow 3oz
if i got this figure right 29lbs 6oz.
5 day of food

partinj
03-19-2008, 13:21
i was runnig out of time on this computer
ok the weight is with food and water that is were i got the 29lbs 6oz. from might be one or two more thing i add or take away but this is petty musc it oh yet i start on April 5 2008 i know the pack is heady i would have when with a internal but i have not found one that fit as good as my External pack and ride as well

hopefulhiker
03-19-2008, 13:22
It looks like about a forty lb pack once you add food, water, and the clothes on your back..
Don't forget earplugs and a bear bag/rope...

A little bit heavy for my tastes but it is your hike...Good luck!

Alligator
03-19-2008, 13:24
You won't need the extra shorts unless you see a lot of bears.

Appalachian Tater
03-19-2008, 13:28
Take the sock liners.
Your pack, sleeping bag, and tent are all pretty heavy. If do you decide to cut weight, you might look at them again.
If the Polar Pure is really just for back-up, consider some iodine tablets or a small dropper bottle of bleach or even just boiling instead.
Is your mini-mag LED? The LED headlights are very much superior to regular bulbs.
Do you have what you need to bear bag?
Pack liner/cover?
Can you use your clothing bag for a pillow?
Do you have some sort of warm hat? It's useful even during the summer, especially a wool knit cap.

max patch
03-19-2008, 13:29
don't need pants and rain pants.

take the rain pants.

only 1 water bottle? i started off with one and added a second in damascus as one wasn't enough.

wilconow
03-19-2008, 13:33
You won't need the extra shorts unless you see a lot of bears.

:D

Has partinj used this gear on a multi-day hike before?

partinj
03-19-2008, 13:46
ran out of time on this lib computer yes the weight inc bear bag and line to hang it the reason i was gone to take 3 pair of shorts was to keep a pair in a ziplock bag with a pair of of the three socks as dry cloths in case ever thing else is wet. i have a pack cover made for the jansport little heady weight 12oz. i been looking for a more light weight cover but it has to fit the pack i was thinking about picking one up at neel's might call ahead see if they have one. I break out in a rash if i use the Iodine more than a week. the total weight of al the cloths is 3lbs 3oz total 4 days worth of food 6lbs.

Appalachian Tater
03-19-2008, 13:49
Even with a cover you should consider using a heavy-duty contractor or compactor bag as a liner. A pack full of wet stuff would be unfortunate.

If you break out in rash from using iodine then leave the Polar Pure at home. It is iodine. No point in taking it.

partinj
03-19-2008, 13:59
yet i do use a compactor bag my cloths are in a waterproof stuffsack then this will go in the compactor bag nothing like dry cloy\\ths on a wet cold nite and coffee to

Appalachian Tater
03-19-2008, 14:18
You seem like you're ready to go. You'll fine-tune as you go along and your needs and wants change. Have fun!!!

valleyfire
03-19-2008, 22:17
Good Luck On Your Hike

valleyfire
03-19-2008, 22:17
What Kind Of Stove Do You Have?

Panzer1
03-19-2008, 23:59
how about adding:
Camera,
Journal, with pen and pencil
cigarette lighter
bandana

Panzer

valleyfire
03-20-2008, 11:36
Why pen and pencil?

Panzer1
03-25-2008, 08:56
Why pen and pencil?

Sometimes I like to write with a pen, sometimes with a pencil. The weight or space is not an issue.

Panzer

Foyt20
03-25-2008, 21:29
Spoon? :)

cfiffpm
04-03-2008, 15:45
partinj,
do you have a link to your small am/fm radio, or a manufacturer? I'm looking for something similar and haven't had any luck.

Time To Fly 97
04-03-2008, 17:44
Exchange tent for tarp to shave a pound and a half
Hiking poles? Recommend lekis
Dump pillow and 3rd nylon shorts
Recommend Petzl Tikka Plus for light (maglights not reliable IMHO)
Dump one lightweight shirt
Carry only maps for the section you are on
Bring duct tape - wind around water bottle

Happy hiking!

TTF

MrHappy
04-13-2008, 02:17
I am reiterating some things that have already been said, but perhaps you'll take them into consideration coming from two people:

Ditch the 3rd and possibly even the 2nd pair of shorts, especially if you are bringing rain paints. Depending on the climate when you're hiking I would consider ditching one of the shirts for a second base-layer shirt as well.

I would consider swapping the rain paints for a simple pair of gaiters. I only broke out my rain paints once and I started my hike in January.

Bring duct tape wrapped around your water bottle or hiking poles. It's the best thing to have for first aid, repairs, etc.

Dump the pillow. Use your spare clothes.