PDA

View Full Version : Undergarmets

Marge
03-19-2008, 15:08
Hi Ladies. I have invested a great deal of money in finding the right pair of underware for my thru hike. I am a very sweaty girl so getting underware that wicks is important. Here is what I've tried and the feedback I have:

Wickers - too much like cotton and caused chafing
Body Sensor - great wicking and very comfortable. Raised seam line caused rubbing and red blood blisters under hip belt of pack.
ex-officio (sp) - great wicking, but also has raised seam line and caused rubbing and red blood blisters under hip belt of pack.
Patagonia - no seams, wicking okay, fit a bit small

Any recommendations? As always, thanks for your help. :)

Cuffs
03-19-2008, 15:17
There was some chat here way back about a brand carried at Target (Hanes?) very thin, light, dries quick... cant find the thread off hand, but I have them and they are great (only used for hiking)

Hammock Hanger
03-19-2008, 16:24
I bought microfiber men's boxer brief's and they work well, dry fast have flat seams. I have been happy with them. I either bought them at Target, Kmart or Walmart. Can't remember. Sue/HH

TACKLE
03-19-2008, 16:48
Take a look at some underarmor stuff,the compression shorts work for me. I had the same chaffing problems before I discovered these.

Aves
03-19-2008, 17:23
Hi Marge,

I feel your pain. I've extracted underwear that buried itself into my skin on a long hike. That was the last time I ever hiked wearing women's underwear. Like Hammock Hanger I now wear men's wicking boxers or boxer briefs. The seams and waistbands are flatter & there's more air flow. I've bought them from EMS, Walmart and stolen them from my husband's underwear drawer! :D

Lellers
03-19-2008, 17:33
LOL sounds strange, but I wear Victoria's Secret stuff on the trail. I just get the 5 pr for $25 deal, high-cut briefs. They wick great, have flat seams, and are very comfortable.

Gee, you think they'd change the VS advertising to include scantily clad women lying alongside the AT?

Frau
03-19-2008, 17:33
I have exo bikinis I save for hiking. They are the best u-trou I have ever bought. I also have some shiney, stretchy bikinis from Walmart and I love them too.

Now you all have me curious about the men's wicking. Hope they are as pricey as the exos.

Frau

Red Hat
03-19-2008, 19:04
I use Barely There bra and panties when I hike. I need something up top and these are very light weight without any seams or wires. Sure I hang a bit, but not like I do without a bra. As for the panties, they are perfect!

vonfrick
03-19-2008, 19:19
there's the techwick stuff at ems- pricey but comfy

Marge
03-20-2008, 09:01
Thanks for the recommendations! I'll give some of these a try. Happy hiking.

CelesteWV
03-21-2008, 12:10
I use Barely There bra and panties when I hike. I need something up top and these are very light weight without any seams or wires. Sure I hang a bit, but not like I do without a bra. As for the panties, they are perfect!

Barely There! I wear them all the time, not just when hiking. They never bother me, never shift around, and are thin but not to much so. I love them.

Tanya
03-22-2008, 13:05
techwick from EMS worked great for me when I was training for a marathon: no chafing, no seams, great wicking (and there was a LOT of sweating on long runs) very comfy overall.

Hammock Hanger
03-22-2008, 19:28

These are nice and very lightwt. Since I will be in a foreign country and want to present myself a little better in Spain then in the woods, I will be carrying a few pairs of these.

gumball
03-22-2008, 20:10
I wear a microfiber thong--no rubbing anywhere. Coverage is perfect...can pack as many pairs as I like without worrying too much about weight or bulk.

Bear Cables
05-01-2008, 17:14
Barely There! I wear them all the time, not just when hiking. They never bother me, never shift around, and are thin but not to much so. I love them.

Who sells Barely There? I am looking for a decent bra for hiking. A cami get too hot.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-01-2008, 18:25
Kohls sells Barely There (http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/intimates/brandswomen/barelythere.jsp) and they're on sale online right now, but alas the bras do not come in 'double dang' cups

WishIWereHiking
05-01-2008, 22:50
I have two pair of Patagonia boy shorts (http://www.rei.com/product/742856?vcat=REI_SSHP_WOMENS_GEAR_TOC), and I love them. I think they fit pretty tight but they're not at all uncomfortable for me (I am 6' tall but pretty thin). I use an underarmour sports bra (there site is having issues and I don't want to provide a broken link) that I got on sale for way cheap and I've been nothing but pleased with.

After reading this thread, I think I may give the barely there stuff a try, even though I'm very pleased with my current gear. Always fun to try something new :)

Bear Cables
05-03-2008, 12:47
Kohls sells Barely There (http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/intimates/brandswomen/barelythere.jsp) and they're on sale online right now, but alas the bras do not come in 'double dang' cups

Thanks! I went online and ordered two! Great Sale price.

Bear Cables
05-03-2008, 12:50
I am toying with the idea of leaving the panties at home. I bought some Hinds brand hiking shorts that have a built in panty. Add a thin panty liner each day and i should be good to go. my husband suggested packing at least one pair incase i should rip the the seat of the shorts:-?

TattyBoBatty
05-23-2008, 11:26
I know this has been kind of a dead topic but after reading this thread I went to Kohls and bought two pairs of Barely There panties (I like boy cut, but they sell them in any cut possible!) and I wore a pair today to "try 'em out" and...

OMG I love these things! First you barely feel like your wearing anything, they are microfiber with no seams so there's not poky, scratchy, rubby spots. They "wick" so to speak and as a test I blotted the side this morning with a wet wash cloth and they were dry in no time.

Must endorse Barely There! I'm thinking that I'll be replacing all my undy's with these even if not worn on the trail!

Bear Cables
05-23-2008, 16:25

I purchased the Barely There bras after the earlier discussion and like them alot.