PDA

View Full Version : Gear Changes

Marge
03-19-2008, 15:38
I did a shakedown hike this weekend and had a great time. Saw quite a few thru-hikers beginning their trip at Springer. It was very exciting and I can't wait to begin my trip in May.

My overall pack weight with 2l water and 3 days food was 34 pounds. I can probably shave 4 pounds from my pack. However, I would like to get a better sleeping pad and would like some recommendations. I used a therm-a-rest backpacking pad (orange) in short. I would be willing to add some weight for a better pad. Recommendations are appreciated.

Also, my sleeping bag is rated 20 degrees (Go-lite), but I don't think it keeps out the wind. Am I expecting too much from my bag?

Love my Ospry Ariel 65 pack, Brasslight stove and REI Nevis coat. Now I just have to figure out the best way to organize everything in my pack.

Thanks for your help!!:sun

Littlest Hobo
03-19-2008, 15:48
Check out Big Agne's line of air core inflatable pads. While they're not self-inflatable and weigh a fraction more than the thermarest prolite series, the level of thickness is exceptional. I tend to be a side or stomach sleeper and find that my air core works better compared to my prolite3

Big Blue
03-19-2008, 19:19
I've got a prolite4. It's a bit bulky but really comfortable.

sparky2000
03-19-2008, 19:33
I like the prolites, also. To get me through the first two months I sleep with the pad inside a light bivy. That's an additional 10 degrees and the zipper (top to bottom) keeps the wind out.

Seeker
03-19-2008, 19:46
not sure what you mean when you say the sleeping bag doesn't keep the wind out. that's mostly your tarp/tent/hammock's job. maybe you're getting wind down the inside because of site/placement? i'm assuming it's a mummy bag, at that rating... is the hood too large, not being used, or not being pulled shut? or is there not a 'draft tube' over the zipper and you're feeling a breeze through it (the zipper). please elaborate and maybe someone can offer some answers...

Blissful
03-19-2008, 19:58
Check out Big Agne's line of air core inflatable pads. While they're not self-inflatable and weigh a fraction more than the thermarest prolite series, the level of thickness is exceptional. I tend to be a side or stomach sleeper and find that my air core works better compared to my prolite3

I liked my Big Anges insulated air core very much. Had to get two of them though, but they have a lifetime warranty and Big Agnes was very accommodating.

I'd carry a silk liner to use in your sleeping bag. Adds some degrees to it just in case.

Marge
03-20-2008, 09:04
Thanks for the recommendations, all. I appreciate it.

Seeker, I believe I probably didn't orient my tent well when I set up camp. Where I felt the most draft was on my back while sleeping on my side. No issues with zippers and I had the hood tight so no issues there as well.

Appalachian Tater
03-20-2008, 10:09
I'm not familiar with GoLite sleeping bags in particular but in general, you shouldn't feel a draft when you're in a 20 degree bag. My guess is you either have a bag with an uninsulated bottom so you get a draft sleeping on your side or else the fill is not properly distributed or is compacted.

envirodiver
03-20-2008, 11:03
In cooler weather I use a REI Lite core (1.5") self-inflating pad with a Blue CCF full length pad under it. This seems to keep the cold from seeping up from the ground. But, as several have noted it doesn't seem that the problem is the pad when you are sleeping on your side.

Do you turn inside your bag or does it roll with you when you turn over?