PDA

View Full Version : Fishing on the trail

bcampr1
03-19-2008, 16:10
I will be hiking part of the Bartram trail with friends for 4 days in April. Are there lakes/streams to catch fish for dinner? Does anyone do this? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

George P Burdell
03-21-2008, 22:52
Which part? The portion in GA along the Chattooga River is excellent trout fishing. I don't know anything about the NC section of the trail, though.

Nearly Normal
03-22-2008, 11:18
The section of Chattooga between Highway 28 bridge and Ried Creek is catch and release only until May 15, 2008 with single hooked lures. Rangers do patroll and ticket.

You can spend a week fishing Chattooga from Ellicott Rock to Simm's Field. Move camp everday a mile or so. Weekends you will see folks, but weekdays none to a few.

Caution:
Don't go in there.
Drinking water up there is infectuous.
Gives you the runs.
Evertime you a have a little free time you want to "run" down to the river to hike and fish.

bcampr1
03-24-2008, 08:51
We will be hiking sections 4-6 on the Bartram Trail.

Tinker
03-24-2008, 23:31
I tried fishing on a trail once. The hooks kept getting caught on the roots and rocks.
Then I decided to try fishing in the stream near the trail. Much better.

quasarr
03-25-2008, 11:48
I thought about fishing on the NC part of the trail this year. (cause I already have a license for this state!) The hard part will be knowing if I'm in TN or NC, where the trail skirts the border. I'm not counting on catching my dinner though, I've never managed to catch a fish big enough to keep :(

jesse
03-25-2008, 11:52
Better get fishing license and trout stamp in both states.

max patch
03-25-2008, 12:05
About 25 years ago I went trout fishing on the Soque River in N GA with a friend and one of his friends. The friend of a friend didn't have a license nor did he want to get one. He got caught and was taken to the Clarkesville jail where he stayed until he got there and bailed him out. $100 IIRC. Luckily we had that much between us -- wasn't an ATM on every corner like today.

Also at Jones Creek (IIRC) which is a no barb, minimum size, (large trout) I saw a ranger in camo lying on the ground watching the anglers through binoculars. They had pictures in the office of the people they caught cheating.

Pony
03-25-2008, 14:12
I thought about doing some fishing along the trail also. After reading about regulations and seeing the price of out of state fishing licenses, I decided it would be more of a hassle than it was worth. In most states posession of a fishing pole in the woods means you are guilty of fishing without a license(if you don't have a license), whether you are actually fishing or not.