PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Empire Airport

Swiss Roll
03-20-2008, 09:20
is right next to the trail at Atkins/Groseclose Va. A friend and I want to fly in and hit the trail for a 2-3 night weekend. Question is, would you go north or south from there? Thanks.

Lone Wolf
03-20-2008, 09:25
south. into the Grayson Highlands

jlb2012
03-20-2008, 10:38
hiking from airport or getting a ride/renting a car?

Swiss Roll
03-20-2008, 12:17
The end of the runway practically abuts the trail. We'll walk from the plane to the trail, maybe making a pitstop at The Barn Restaurant.

Kerosene
03-20-2008, 13:07
Definitely south. It's an easy walk to Partnership Shelter (11.5 miles), but there's a nice camping area (sans water) a few miles further just after a dirt road. Your second day you could camp at the site of the old Raccoon Branch shelter that is no longer there (13 miles), and then have Lone Wolf or someone pick you up at the Fox Creek trailhead (VA-603) about 10 miles further onto shuttle you back to the airport. That would give you about 35 miles, most of which is very pleasant hiking over fairly level terrain.

winger
03-21-2008, 15:36
Must be the same Mtn.Empire airport that I have flown into several times, along I-81, but I had no idea it was so close to the AT. Is the Barn Restaurant there to the right of I-81 going north?

Lone Wolf
03-21-2008, 15:37
yes it is

SawnieRobertson
03-21-2008, 19:58
It is not only close to the AT now but also was a part of the trail "back when." This sounds like an exciting beginning to a walk on the trail. Oh, and I am the one whom you would probably be contacting for a shuttle in that I'm close by. OTOH, you might also be interested in contacting Peggy Sexton who is also listed on the ATC website. Good luck.--Kinnickinic

winger
03-21-2008, 20:43
OK, here's an idea to throw around. Say I flew into Mtn.Empire and parked the plane, is there any round robin type hikes I could make that would include the AT and bring me back to the airport? I'm assuming that I could start hiking right from the airport?

CaseyB
03-22-2008, 01:10
OK, here's an idea to throw around. Say I flew into Mtn.Empire and parked the plane, is there any round robin type hikes I could make that would include the AT and bring me back to the airport? I'm assuming that I could start hiking right from the airport?

South to Iron Mtn. loop. Longer than a few days, though.