PDA

View Full Version : Any Trail Days vendors reading...

minnesotasmith
03-20-2008, 12:09
I need to sublet a small part of one of those overly-large, overpriced 250.00 booths at Trail Days 2008. Anyone who will have a booth at Trail Days that might like to rent me part of theirs for 100.00, please contact me.

Tabasco
03-20-2008, 12:52
I have got to ask, because inquiring minds want to know.....

WHAT are you selling?

TOW
03-20-2008, 12:54
Your talking about an 8x8 space MS, that's not too big........

bigmac_in
03-20-2008, 13:00
I need to sublet a small part of one of those overly-large, overpriced 250.00 booths at Trail Days 2008. Anyone who will have a booth at Trail Days that might like to rent me part of theirs for 100.00, please contact me.

Add me to the list of the curious. What might you be selling? Or are you just searching for a spot to pontificate?

Before anyone gets all worried - here are a number of smileys to demonstrate my general lack of seriousness :D:D:D:D:D

Lion King
03-20-2008, 13:40
You might be lucky enough to have someone just let you use a spot.

I did that for 2 different folks in 2007 at no charge.

The way I see it is this, they bring in customers interested in their product, and then the custormer may buy yours as well. So its a win win situation.

If I make it there this year I think I will make a box/sanwhich board thing and sale DVDS as I walk around as I cant afford those booths this year either since I am hiking, but I do need to sale DVDS to keep this hike going...if I make it there...:banana

minnesotasmith
03-20-2008, 22:58
Add me to the list of the curious. What might you be selling? Or are you just searching for a spot to pontificate?

Before anyone gets all worried - here are a number of smileys to demonstrate my general lack of seriousness :D:D:D:D:D

Mainly my upcoming book on hiking a certain way, "Heavy Hiking". Expect fiance to have some AT-themed small crafts to sell as well.

TOW
03-20-2008, 23:03
I was at the Adventure Damascus Commitee meeting tonight and I am considering of buying a spot.

Lone Wolf
03-20-2008, 23:31

you make good $$. buy a booth

minnesotasmith
03-20-2008, 23:38

I don't need a whole booth. Why buy one?

Lone Wolf
03-20-2008, 23:42
I don't need a whole booth. Why buy one?

then forgo to trail days to sell your "stuff". if it's good "stuff" you'll make your fee back and then some

TOW
03-21-2008, 05:26
Lone Wolf makes a good point, I think it would be best that you buy your own booth. And you better hurry if you're going to get a spot because as of last night they are just about filled.

minnesotasmith
03-21-2008, 09:46

I have other purposes in mind for my money than to subsidize trouble-making drunks' damages/police & justice-system costs, or career politicians wanting to upgrade their offices yet again. Let them bear their own expenses.

Ashman
03-21-2008, 09:50
I have other purposes in mind for my money than to subsidize trouble-making drunks' damages/police & justice-system costs, or career politicians wanting to upgrade their offices yet again. Let them bear their own expenses.

If you sublet a space from another vendor aren't you doing the same thing albiet a bit more indirectly and at a lower amount?

minnesotasmith
03-21-2008, 09:58
Mainly my upcoming book on hiking a certain way, "Heavy Hiking".

I figure the chapters on nutrition (which most hikers seem to not know squat about, with even educated/vegetarian hikers commonly having obvious, hike-affecting knowledge gaps) and comical trail stories alone would make the book worth its cost to most hikers that read hiking trail books. Likewise, although I know that other geologists have thruhiked the AT, I have yet to run across an AT book by one, so I figure I'm likely to make geological observations not commonly seen in AT books. Lastly, I'm not afraid out of fears of being politically-incorrect to note and write down plausible conclusions about the AT that would terrify those overly worried about what schadenfreude-addicts may say.

Thus, what I've got here is very reasonably judged to not just be yet another "I hiked the AYE-TEE!!!" book, but something deeper and potentially more useful.

minnesotasmith
03-21-2008, 09:59
If you sublet a space from another vendor aren't you doing the same thing albiet a bit more indirectly and at a lower amount?

I'm paying for a service I need, no more or less. Buying more space than I need would be charity if voluntary, and extortion if not.

minnesotasmith
03-21-2008, 10:12
Every individual (and a few others) that I sent a hiker poem frame set to can eventually (like June) expect a free HH book as well.

Wonder
03-21-2008, 11:17
Removed

As far as I know, the money made by the trail days committee goes to the clean up, set up and the extra people they need to bring in from surrounding towns. We have 6 officers here.....which is WAY to many for the down in the off season, but during trail days, extra officers are needed.
Now, I'm not on the committee, but from what I hear.......there is really no "profit" made for the town.
I have an Arts and Crafts Booth......and I had to prove to them that it would only be my stuff, made by me.
If your items are handi-crafts.....check out one of those booths

STEVEM
03-21-2008, 17:38
Mainly my upcoming book on hiking a certain way, "Heavy Hiking". Expect fiance to have some AT-themed small crafts to sell as well.

Did any of you guys read what MS said? Take a careful look.

TOW
03-21-2008, 17:53
As far as I know, the money made by the trail days committee goes to the clean up, set up and the extra people they need to bring in from surrounding towns. We have 6 officers here.....which is WAY to many for the down in the off season, but during trail days, extra officers are needed.
Now, I'm not on the committee, but from what I hear.......there is really no "profit" made for the town.

The committee that oversees the booths in the park is a non profit. And there are no paid staff. The money they rake in is used to pay the electricity, water, and anyone that needs to be paid for whatever else ensues. If they are lucky to have some money left over it will be utilized for other events like the upcoming car show in the fall.

Appalachian Tater
03-21-2008, 18:41
Every individual (and a few others) that I sent a hiker poem frame set to can eventually (like June) expect a free HH book as well.Giving out "hiker poem frame sets" is a great way to market your book. Both should sell quite well.

slowandlow
03-21-2008, 19:16
I just read in the new Snow Peak catalog how they introduced the giga power stove at an outdoor products expo in 1998 using borrowed space from another vendor. It seems to have worked out very well for them, maybe MS can duplicate their success.

Wonder
03-23-2008, 12:00
HOw on earth did Larry just quote me, yet my post isn't listed?......I don't think I wrote anything offensive

Lone Wolf
03-23-2008, 12:06
someone zapped your post. some mods are overzealous :)

Wonder
03-23-2008, 16:11
YEah, that is a bit overzealous......what on earth did I say wrong?????
With some of the things said on here, simply answering a question gets zapped???? I'm very confused...........
Oh, well.....I've now joined the ranks of the "deleated"......do I get a cookie??

dixicritter
03-23-2008, 16:32
HOw on earth did Larry just quote me, yet my post isn't listed?......I don't think I wrote anything offensive

someone zapped your post. some mods are overzealous :)

YEah, that is a bit overzealous......what on earth did I say wrong?????
With some of the things said on here, simply answering a question gets zapped???? I'm very confused...........
Oh, well.....I've now joined the ranks of the "deleated"......do I get a cookie??

I'm not exactly sure why your post was zapped, since I've been on vacation. :banana It could've had something to do with the quote I removed prior to putting your post back for you though. ;) You really didn't say anything wrong, just what tends to be collateral damage sometimes. I'm sure it was nothing personal. :)

Appalachian Tater
03-23-2008, 16:56
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c8/Scrubbing_bubbles_home_logo2.gif

Wonder
03-23-2008, 18:52
;)No worries...........my feelings are not bruised.

Skidsteer
03-23-2008, 19:03

I cleaned the thread up 'cause the man asked a valid question and got the same old crap he always get that we've all heard before.

I tried to get all the quotes and stuff to line up and make sense but may have missed some.

I deleted my own response, too. :D

Wonder
03-23-2008, 22:42
Like I said ......no worries :-) I was just confussed.
A valid answer would still remain:
If you are making a craft....check into the arts and craft booths...they're cheaper

minnesotasmith
03-24-2008, 16:19
Like I said ......no worries :-) I was just confussed.
A valid answer would still remain:
If you are making a craft....check into the arts and craft booths...they're cheaper

What kind of price do those run? Also, would my book count as such? (Logically, it's something I will have made, albeit not a traditional "craft" item.)

minnesotasmith
03-24-2008, 16:20
I cleaned the thread up 'cause the man asked a valid question and got the same old crap he always get that we've all heard before.

What was the "valid question" you're referring to? My original question that started this thread, or something else?

Skidsteer
03-24-2008, 17:12
What was the "valid question" you're referring to? My original question that started this thread, or something else?

I was referring to your original question in the thread starter.

Jack Tarlin
03-24-2008, 17:13
Smitty:

Other Trail authors have set up small tables and have sold and autographed books while out front of Mt. Rogers Outfitters.

Perhaps if you approached the proprietors you might be able to arrange something.

(Some complimentary signed copies from you and your publisher would probably help).

Anyway, just an idea, and there are just as many people downtown as there are in vendor land.

minnesotasmith
03-25-2008, 01:26
Smitty:

Other Trail authors have set up small tables and have sold and autographed books while out front of Mt. Rogers Outfitters.

Perhaps if you approached the proprietors you might be able to arrange something.

(Some complimentary signed copies from you and your publisher would probably help).

Anyway, just an idea, and there are just as many people downtown as there are in vendor land.

I have several tentative offers of booth space subleasing now, but would certainly find the outfitter sidewalk idea workable. I will contact them.

Wise Old Owl
04-01-2008, 22:39
(I also had about 4 dog encounters where if I'd had a firearm, I'd have been inclined to have shot the dog.)

To add a can of bear spray, in the process of being emptied point-blank into the dog's face.

After your current set of posts will she be making up for your short falls?

Perhaps selling Dog leashes?

Thank you Troll - I will stay out of your threads - stay out of the dog forum.

Jaybird62
04-01-2008, 22:48
After your current set of posts will she be making up for your short falls?

Perhaps selling Dog leashes?

Thank you Troll - I will stay out of your threads - stay out of the dog forum.

Sometimes your best option is the ignore button buddy;)

Wonder
04-01-2008, 22:48
They seemed pretty picky about what was being sold at the Arts and Crafts tables. They were strict on the "handmade" thing.....

Jaybird62
04-01-2008, 22:49
I think he is a thread hijacking troll whos sole purpose is to stir some **** up......

Wise Old Owl
04-01-2008, 22:49
I agree

Jaybird62
04-01-2008, 22:51
Here I am doing the same thing......sorry(hijacking thread or at least participating)

Wise Old Owl
04-01-2008, 22:52
Maybe he needs to sell dog spray to fill his empty needs too.

I forget is it called the MS trail?

minnesotasmith
04-01-2008, 23:59
Maybe he needs to sell dog spray...

Whereever you got the idea that I give a rat's rear what you think, you got it wrong. Post when you have content.

Darwin again
04-02-2008, 10:41
Expect fiance to have some AT-themed small crafts to sell as well.

Wasn't Fiance (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiance_%28disambiguation%29) a character in a Shakespeare play? Maybe not...

I'm wondering you mean "fiancée" since I didn't have you pegged as the type who would marry a man :D (or read Shakespeare).

Sly
04-02-2008, 10:50

What a POS! You don't mind trying to make a profit but you don't want to pay for the privilege. Talk about being dishonest. :rolleyes:

ki0eh
04-02-2008, 16:22
Pay less, profit more...

Rain Man
04-02-2008, 18:40

Is "sub-leasing" legal? Might not be. Better check with those in charge of renting the booths out.

Rain:sunMan

bigmac_in
04-02-2008, 21:11
Boy, did this thread go to he11 .

Wonder
04-03-2008, 00:04
Don't they all in the end....

McPick
04-03-2008, 17:31
Don't they all in the end....

Some well before the end, Wonder.