PDA

View Full Version : does anyone pack a hammock when they sleep on the at???

dpage
03-20-2008, 21:35
Does anyone carry' a hammock in there pack on the AT,if so what kind HH, clark, ENO, DIY???

Tinker
03-20-2008, 21:38
No. Hammocks suck!!!! :p

Yes I do. I usually hike solo and carry my HH Ul Exp. in the warm weather and a cheap hammock that I can run through a foot opening sleeping bag when the weather gets cooler. In the dead of winter I switch to a tent.

Lost My Mind
03-20-2008, 21:39
There are several thru hikers on the trail with their hammocks right now. Cerberus (Nest) is hiking with his ENO and Cannibal is hiking with his Warbonnet. Both are doing great, even with all the rain they have had on the trail so far. Nest told me he has seen several HH on the trail so far, also.

Marta
03-20-2008, 21:43
Hm...dedicated hammockers on the AT... SGT Rock springs to mind.

Seriously, there are quite a few. Certainly in the minority, but not that rare.

Tinker
03-20-2008, 21:46
With a hammock, you don't have to worry if your floor is waterproof. You just have to make sure your boots don't float away (almost happened to me at the ALDHA Gathering in New Hampshire in '05. I should have bagged them and tied them to the hammock line.

take-a-knee
03-20-2008, 22:05
I have a hennessy UL backpacker, I'm a rookie hammock hanger. According to SGT Rock's gear list, he's using a homemade hammock(no net) currently and will/has be swapping out for a Hennessy Hyperlite come bug season.

joec
03-20-2008, 22:13
The only time I don't pack a hammock is when my wife goes along. She is not comfortable sleeping alone, even if I am only a few feet away, in the woods. We just got back from a two day, one nite hike and on the last uphill of the day, and we were looking for a flat spot to pitch the tent, I was wishing I had the hammocks. As it ended up, we found an almost flat spot but I was still constantly sliding down to the lower end of the tent.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-20-2008, 22:15
Hammock Engineer (Coffee) hiked SOBO last year - he started out with a homemade top-load hammock and later switched to a JRB bridge hammock after he injured his back in a fall. SgtRock is hiking this year with a homemade top-load hammock and a really sweet homemade winter insulation system. Hammock Hanger has hiked with her HH several times.

Tipi Walter
03-20-2008, 22:18
Why hang like a orangutan when you can sleep unbent in a tent??

Paraphrasing the 'Mockers, have you considered a tent??:)

Tinker
03-20-2008, 22:18
Try something like this for cold weather. You don't need the underquilt I have in the picture. Your comfort depends on how much insulation is in the bag and how closely it contours to your body and the hammock. I can sleep on my side when I use this hammock with my Golite Feather-lite bag.

Tinker
03-20-2008, 22:19
Hey! How 'bout a link to go with that post?????????:D

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/237103382ByZIeG

hammock engineer
03-21-2008, 00:33
Man I feel special. I did most of the AT in my hammock. I only switched to shelters towards the end when there was no one else around it is was freezing most of the time. I could have kept going with it, but that is another story.

orangebug
03-21-2008, 07:33
Planing to do a SOBO section from Mt K this June in a Speer Hammock with PeaPod.

Hammock Hanger
03-21-2008, 07:46

Paraphrasing the 'Mockers, have you considered a tent??:)

sleep comfy and unbent in a hammock. :sun

Hooch
03-21-2008, 08:16

Paraphrasing the 'Mockers, have you considered a tent??:)TW, you jus have to know how to hang and get comfortable in it. Hammocking definitely has a learning curve to it. I sleep in my ENO DoubleNest (http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/double-nest-hammock.html) very comfortably and perfectly flat. I considered a tent once, but then I woke up and realized it was just a bad dream. Glad that's over! :D:p

Hooch
03-21-2008, 08:17
In the dead of winter I switch to a tent.Blasphemer! :eek::p

Lone Wolf
03-21-2008, 08:21
Does anyone carry' a hammock in there pack on the AT,if so what kind HH, clark, ENO, DIY???

no. the soft earth is much better to lay out on

Ashman
03-21-2008, 08:26
I got a HH Expedition I am taking out for a spin in early April, Can't wait!

take-a-knee
03-21-2008, 11:17
TW, you jus have to know how to hang and get comfortable in it. Hammocking definitely has a learning curve to it. I sleep in my ENO DoubleNest (http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/double-nest-hammock.html) very comfortably and perfectly flat. I considered a tent once, but then I woke up and realized it was just a bad dream. Glad that's over! :D:p

Hooch, what bugnet do you use with than Eno? Have you tried/considered a fixed ridgeline for that hammock?