PDA

View Full Version : Help sizing Mountainsmith Ghost

Brokenheart
03-20-2008, 22:06
I my search for a lightweight pack with an effective suspension system, I discovered the MS ghost. The reviews seem favorable, so I'm giving it a shot.
Since MS dropped the ball and quit making the mountainlite series, I've been hitting up the used gear sites. I have scored a good deal on one that has little use.
Seems this pack was initially produced in one size (3100), then later on a medium and large size were produced (2800 and 3000). In reading some reviews it sounds like the large isn't all that large, as far as fit is concerned. The torso length for the large is 19"-22" and 17"-19.5" for the medium. My torso measurement is 18.5, I'm 5-10 and 135lb. So do I go with the large or medium. Since originally this pack was only made in the larger size I'm thinking that is what I should go with. If you have one of these packs or knowledge about them, I'd appreciate some enlightenment. Thanks

Alligator
03-20-2008, 22:38
I think I remember A-train (WB member) saying he had a MS ghost, he might be able to help you.

mixinmaster
03-20-2008, 22:48
I've used one extensively and almost exclusively for the past few years, it is the aqua and green one, the 3100.........I have a torso of 21.5, and it fits great............. Hope that helps, they are a pack I swear by, and I've had a bunch.......

A-Train
03-20-2008, 22:54
I think I remember A-train (WB member) saying he had a MS ghost, he might be able to help you.

Good memory Gator! Indeed, I did use one from Troutville to Glencliff (about half the trail).

I have the older (Bluish Grey color) model. Similar shape as the newer (wheat color) model. In general I was pretty happy with it, but I downsized my gear quite a bit, so my shoulders were happy. For 2 lbs weight it can handle around 30lbs pretty comfortably. Anything above that started to hurt the shoulders. But, it was a size medium, which was a tad on the short side for me. 2 internal pockets made it easy to organize smaller items.
The shape is unique, as it's a front loader, not top. Similar to a students school backpack, it opens up for easy access. The downside is the shape of the pack is constant, no matter what's in it. It cannot be compressed down like a top loader. You will always have that turtle shell shape.
The volume is 3100 which is pretty suitable for a lightweight thru-hiker. I did carry a decent sized tent and lots of clothing. Things got tricky to fit when I carried 5+ days of food. By the time I was ready to switch to my bigger pack, the plastic ring (suspension) had started to pop a small hole thru. Mtsmith happily replaced it for me, and I've never had a problem since.
I would have used it on my PCT hike, however there simply wasn't enough space for all the water space. I stowed my pad on the outside with the external cord. The pack was 2 mesh pockets that will fit 1 liter Gatorade bottles and fuel, etc.

Overall, I'd recommend it. My friend used her's (the newer model) on her entire PCT thru this summer and enjoyed it, but her load was real light. I still have mine and have considered selling it many times, but this pack didn't seem to hold any sort of value. Seems to make more sense to hold on to it as a momento with sentimental value, then get a measley 40-50 bucks for it...

Good luck!

FishBone
03-21-2008, 08:44
Brokenheart-
I have an 18" torso, 5-10, 160, thin build. The medium fits me perfectly. I can echo A-train's evaluation. great for a weekend, tight with a full long distance load, unless you're going UL. I added a pouch on the front for wet gear, snacks, etc. and belt pouches for headlight, maps, trail guide. The "poke through" problem was solved with the updated (tan/gold) model, which I have. It's a great pack!

mudhead
03-21-2008, 09:01
I am a 19.5". The medium fit me better than the large.

Brokenheart
03-21-2008, 14:12
Thanks for the info everyone, this site is awsome!! Hoping to thru this year. With this pack my big 4 is just over 4.5lb, I'm happy about that. Looks like I'll get the medium based on the feedback. Thanks again

Alligator
03-21-2008, 14:23
Good memory Gator! Indeed, I did use one from Troutville to Glencliff (about half the trail).
...I had been real close to buying one so I was tuned in to potential reviewers. I ended up getting an Aether 60 though, I needed just a little more space.