PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide between Tarptent Rainbow + Contrail

Alex
03-20-2008, 22:47
Hey,
So I am planning my thru hike next year, and I am definitely upgrading my Mountain Hardwear PCT-1 to a Tarptent of some sort. I am a bigger guy (6'3/220) if that makes a difference, though both the Rainbow and Contrail seem like they would give me plenty of room and enable me to sit up (something I haven't been able to do in my PCT-1). I think I like the dome style of the Rainbow a little more, and it has the option of being freestanding. But then the Contrail is quite a bit lighter, which is the main goal. So I guess I am looking for opinions from people with experience with these tents. Any input would be great. Thanks,

-Alex

Appalachian Tater
03-20-2008, 23:02
Man , I love my Rainbow. Because of the arch, you sit up from a reclining position without worrying about hitting your head. You are several inches taller than I am but you should still have room inside for all your stuff even with the bathtub floor up. The freestanding aspect is a real plus. You can get in your tent, feel around for any rocks or twigs you missed, and if necessary move the tent. Even though I always stake it down, it certainly makes it easy to set up. The primary differences would be in the weight, with the Contrail lighter, and the interior space, with the Rainbow much roomier and with more headroom. I don't think you can fairly compare the headroom because of the different designs. I believe the Rainbow to be the best designed Tarptent without exception unless weight is your primary concern. If it is, go with a lighter model if you want a fully-enclosed shelter or just a catenary tarp if you are ultimately concerned with weight and don't mind an open shelter.

Tobit
03-20-2008, 23:08
I just purchased a Rainbow yesterday (shipped today) and mainly purchased it because I love how you can use your trekking poles to free-stand the tent. This is very convenient when you arrive at a tent platform site and there isn't an easy way to tie off your guy lines. Rainbow and Double Rainbows FTW!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-20-2008, 23:09
For a thru, I'd go with the Rainbow. The extra space and the vestibule are well worth the extra weight. When you're pinned down all day by storms as Matthewski and companions were yesterday, you will appreciate having enough space to move a bit and to spread your gear out.

Alex
03-20-2008, 23:18
Cool, You guys are making my decision easier. I was leaning towards the Rainbow, and I think I'm pretty much set on it at this point. I might have to order soon, so I can try it out before the summer heat sets in out here in the desert.

margo
03-20-2008, 23:52
I'm probably not even qualified to respond but I have a double rainbow, have not seen a contrail in person. I decided on a rainbow because I think having 2 mesh sides would be cooler in warmer weather. My hiking poles do not do the trick but the option of making it freestanding is a plus for some folks. Being able to make porches is pretty neat too.

rafe
03-21-2008, 00:35
Lots of headroom and floor space in a Rainbow. Can't really compare it to a Squall, personally -- I have a Rainbow, but no Squall. I never did use it "freestanding," that part turned out to be no big deal. In any case, "freestanding" is a bit of a lie -- you'd still want to guy out the sides to get the tent pitched right. (This is true in many other tents making the same claim...)

Ramble~On
03-21-2008, 06:03
I got a Rainbow in January? So I am new to Tarptents.
I have had this tent out a couple times and put it through the grinder to see what it can handle. I have nothing bad to say about it and should you go with the Rainbow I think you'll agree it's a incredbile shelter.
I've had it out in heavy rain, snow and very high winds...this thing is stronger than it looks..Obviously it isn't designed to be used as a winter mountaineering shelter and I didn't intend to subject my new investment to the conditions it had to face on my last trip out. The Rainbow amazed me!
I have a GoLite Trig II which is something like the Contrail in design and can say I like the design of the Rainbow much more. The side opening rather than the opening at the head is a great feature and the arch allows for plenty of headroom I'm 5'10 and have plenty of room to spare.
When I set the Rainbow up for the first time I was amazed (and still am) how big this tent is. The size/weight ratio is another reason I'd go with a Rainbow over a Contrail (though I don't claim to know a thing about the Contrail but am familiar with its design)

Freestanding...with poles or sticks..I set it up this way just to do it and see how it went. I used two trekking poles and it worked fine ..meaning you can set the tent up on rock ledges, indoors or (gasp) inside a shelter or on a tent platform should the need or want arise. This is a cool feature that's there if you need it but the tent is larger and more stable staked out.

Condensation has not been a problem in this tent. Single wall tents will have some but with the vents, full mesh front and perimeter mesh I haven't had any to deal with. My .02 :D

LIhikers
03-21-2008, 06:41
My wife is away and out in our Rainbow as we "speak" while I'm at work :(
It's a good tent that you won't be sorry about unless you are really, really counting grams and ounces.

Quoddy
03-21-2008, 08:28
OK, I'll buck the trend here. I've owned and used both and strongly prefer the Contrail. Very fast to put up (my average is under 70 seconds), lighter, and packs much smaller. Those were the things that mattered to me, so it became an easy choice. Size wise, I'm 6'1" and 190#... plenty of room.

Tobit
03-21-2008, 13:22
Contrail is too small for me but I would indeed prefer it for the reasons Quoddy mentions. I'm 6' 2" and have a big frame. I was cramped inside my Contrail when I had it. My Rainbow, which just arrived today, is much easier to get in and out of and it's more cozy for me. I normally prefer an open tarp but if I am going somewhere I know I'll be frequenting a lot of tent platforms, I've decided to pack a Rainbow.

Either way, I doubt you can go wrong. I ordered mine from Henry on Wednesday. He shipped it yesterday and it arrived here in New Hampshire, all the way from Californication, today! Shipped via Priority Mail for only $1 more than ground service.

Terry7
03-22-2008, 13:03
Check out www.sixmoondesign.com (http://www.sixmoondesign.com) Lunar Duo 2lb 10oz with alot of room.