PDA

View Full Version : The first 50 miles down...

postholer.com
03-21-2008, 00:59
Major Miles, aka, Appalachian Jeff has covered the first 50 miles. He's had to endure rain, cold, TORNADO'S and foot problems no one should have to deal with.

For a graphic example of his foot problems, check out his Journal Entry (http://postholer.com/journal/viewJournal.php?entry_id=1590)
(not for the meek)

Sign his guest book while you're there.

Poor guy!

-postholer

Summit
03-21-2008, 08:34
Looks like heavy, rigid, leather boots type blisters. I never get anywhere close to those kinds of rubs with trail runners. Hope Jeff's feet heal and hope he swaps tires if he is wearing old-fashioned, heavy leather boots.

winger
03-21-2008, 11:22
Not to sound condescending but I agree with Summit. Also how much weight is he carrying in his pack? Is he using good socks with liners? Are his feet staying relatively DRY? Moisture + poorly fitting/designed boots + excessive pack weight = skin breakdown. Hope he gets better soon.

KevinAce
03-21-2008, 11:25
Wow he actually saw four tornadoes touch down? That'd be one hell of an experience (bad at the time, but amazing looking back on it).

Summit
03-21-2008, 11:33
After my post I looked at the picture of Jeff between the arch. Looks like his boots are the rigid leather hightops. I would strongly suggest ditching those. He can pick up some trail runners in Franklin at the outfitter store there. Ron Haven can be hired (reasonable) to pick him up and return him to the trail at Winding Stair Gap.

With 35 years of backpacking, and many of the early years in those rigid leather boots, may I plead that Jeff take this advice. There is NO NEED to suffer as he is with blisters. After 50 miles he should be really starting to enjoy every day.

Merril, Vasque, Solomon (other comparable) trail runners with good heel snugness and ample toe room + liner socks + thick Merino wool socks = happy feet!