PDA

View Full Version : Boots/shoes on thru hike

Doc
01-22-2004, 18:42
After reading the interesting list of various tents used by long distance folks, I would be interested in hearing what boots/shoes were used and how they held up. I have 800 miles to go and may make a switch when I start out this Spring.

Doc

Peaks
01-22-2004, 18:58
My advice is to ignore this thread. Boot/shoe selection should depend on the shape of your feet. Every boot maker uses different lasts. Hence, what works for me probably does not work for the next person.

Having said that, you could pole people on the type of boot/shoe: Trail runner, low cut shoe, mid height shoe, traditional leather, sandle, barefoot, etc.

Or you could pole people on how long their footwear lasts. Generally, for a boot, it's about 1000 miles. For sneakers, it's about 600 miles.

chris
01-22-2004, 19:25
I wrote up a review of the shoes that I used this summer on the PCT in the Gear Reviews subforum. I think it is called something like "Four Trail Shoe Review". I like trail runners and won't wear boots again outside of mountaineering or winter backpacking. Trail runners can go various distances before needing to be replaced. Even if the outside structure of the shoe looks good, the internal cushioning breaks down and eventually can cause an injury, depending on your body type and the shoe. You usually hear the figure of 400-500 miles for a running shoe (note, this is usually for people actually running on concrete). Hikers can push this distance further. NB 806s are built like tanks and can go along ways, although I find the traction far, far substandard and don't like the way that they fit me. I've got about 250 miles on a pair of Brooks Trespass trail runners right now and like them alot. When I get some more distance on them this spring, I'll post a review, but things look very positive right now. They fit me well, have good traction, great ventillation, and are the lightest things I've used. Sole protection is good, but the rest of the foot, particularly the toe area, is not. You definitely don't want to kick rocks in these things.

As Peaks said, what works for one might not work for another. On the other hand, I think the benefits of trail runners are numerous enough to give them a try, at least. So that you don't make a big cash investment all at once, try looking over places like

www.sierratradingpost.com
www.runningshoes.com
www.roadrunnersports.com
www.rei-outlet.com

You can frequently find massively discounted shoes. I got a pair of $80 Salomon adventure shoes for my AT section hike for $30.

Blue Jay
01-23-2004, 08:51
What ever you wear remember each pound on your feet means you are moving a ton a mile (approx. 2000 steps). Some people feel they need concrete/leather boots even though they have stopped wearing leather shirts and pants and racoon hats. If you are one of them by all means wear boots. All that really matters is fit. Make sure you buy them somewhere that you can bring them back, if needed, after a long fully loaded trial run.