PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some pins

Ashman
03-21-2008, 08:55
I have a positively archaic external backpack from the early 80's. The pack has several grommets. There are pins that look like a thick nail without a point and a flat head that holds the pack to the frame. A split ring on the other side holds the pin in place. I have a few that may need replacing soon. I went to REI and they did a search on them and said they were "clevis pins" but didn't have any instock and couldn't find them online at another store. Any idea where I might score some? I know many are thinking DUDE get a new pack! But I am getting back into the backpacking thing and I have a few other gear items I want before I spring for a new pack. Thanks for any advice or pointers!

JAK
03-21-2008, 08:58
http://www.vtarmynavy.com/Tent_Accessories.htm

Lone Wolf
03-21-2008, 08:59
I have a positively archaic external backpack from the early 80's. The pack has several grommets. There are pins that look like a thick nail without a point and a flat head that holds the pack to the frame. A split ring on the other side holds the pin in place. I have a few that may need replacing soon. I went to REI and they did a search on them and said they were "clevis pins" but didn't have any instock and couldn't find them online at another store. Any idea where I might score some? I know many are thinking DUDE get a new pack! But I am getting back into the backpacking thing and I have a few other gear items I want before I spring for a new pack. Thanks for any advice or pointers!

try here http://www.google.com/products?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&q=backpack+clevis+pins&um=1
http://www.ems.com/catalog/subcategory_simple.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=25343 74302881160&bmUID=1200324515266

Tractor
03-21-2008, 08:59
Paperclip .

Tractor
03-21-2008, 09:02
Sorry. I misunderstood and thought u were looking for the clips not the pins. Might try a hobby shop.

Tipi Walter
Ah, the old clevis pins. They shouldn't be too hard to find as they're on many of the old externals. I think I even went to a hardware store once and found something that worked as replacements.

You know you're in a bushwacking hell when you take a break and a couple of clevis pins have pulled out of the pack. I'd start going to yard sales and flea markets and look for old packs, many of them used the pins.

CrumbSnatcher
dont ditch the pack,externals are great. maybe buy a new external sometime soon to lesson the wear on the one you own already. try jeff at mt. rogers outfitters (MRO)IN DAMASCUS or go straight to kelty on line. happy hunting.

JAK
03-21-2008, 09:03
I should have said to Google "Aluminum Clevis Pins"
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22aluminum+clevis+pins%22&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&ie=utf8&oe=utf8

There are 7 good hits including this one:
http://www.toothoftimetraders.com/philmont/product.asp?dept_id=3048&pf_id=PAAAAALIOPIPAGAC&prod_name=Pack+Frame+Pins+and+Rings%2C+6+pack&

Ashman
03-21-2008, 09:09
I did the google thing and got some good leads. I really like my pack but it is getting really beat up. I got some holes in the fabric that got patched together with duct tape. On my last hike, the split ring on the pin holding my left strap popped. I did a field repair with a paper clip. I like the external pockets. I haven't seen anything like in many of the gear shops I have seen.

mudhead
03-21-2008, 09:15
I have seen them in the drawers at a hardware store.

Probably better to order a pack of the branded ones. Might find a new bag to go on the frame while you are looking!

Alligator
03-21-2008, 09:36
I think I've seen some at Lowe's in the hardware drawers.

NICKTHEGREEK
03-21-2008, 09:58
Ah, the old clevis pins. They shouldn't be too hard to find as they're on many of the old externals. I think I even went to a hardware store once and found something that worked as replacements.

You know you're in a bushwacking hell when you take a break and a couple of clevis pins have pulled out of the pack. I'd start going to yard sales and flea markets and look for old packs, many of them used the pins.

The kelty super tioga used 1 long wire to hold 4 or 5 pins securing the bag to the frame rather than individual split rings. The wire snagged on a branch and launched itself into the ether. Had to lash the loose side of the bag to the packframe with paracord. Hardware stores sell both clevis pins and lock rings. Most external folks carried a spare or 2.

Christopher Robin
03-21-2008, 10:25
Campmor carres them also.

Lyle
03-21-2008, 10:31
http://nt1.adventuresports.com/shops/mountain/MSmain.asp?Option=Detail&Detail=4

Tipi Walter
03-21-2008, 10:33
The kelty super tioga used 1 long wire to hold 4 or 5 pins securing the bag to the frame rather than individual split rings. The wire snagged on a branch and launched itself into the ether. Had to lash the loose side of the bag to the packframe with paracord. Hardware stores sell both clevis pins and lock rings. Most external folks carried a spare or 2.

Yes, I remember that long wire holding all the pins in. Might be hard to find that particular item, but then again, single split rings would work as well.

When the pins pull out on some thick trail, THEY ARE IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND.

kayak karl
03-21-2008, 10:38
a hardware store near a farming area will have them; Farm and Family, Tractor places. if u have a grinding wheel make your own out of gutter nails. they will be lighter then the others.

warraghiyagey
03-21-2008, 11:59
This has been a good thread. I have looked for the very same clevis pins for my external frame pack. They aren't that easy to find. (I still haven't) but I'll be looking through the links here to see where I can get them.

Strategic
03-21-2008, 12:36
Home Depot and Lowes both have them. Look in the rack-o-drawers section in the hardware aisle, where all the unusual hardware bits live. They should have something about the size you need in aluminum.

warraghiyagey
03-21-2008, 12:41
Home Depot and Lowes both have them. Look in the rack-o-drawers section in the hardware aisle, where all the unusual hardware bits live. They should have something about the size you need in aluminum.
I have checked both of those stores and their Clevis Pins are waaaaaay to big for the xframe packs. They don't even have them in a size that's close.

Ashman
03-21-2008, 12:48
I got a few today at lunch, match the size of the ones I have. Thanks for the heads up guys

Alligator
03-21-2008, 13:11
I got a few today at lunch, match the size of the ones I have. Thanks for the heads up guysAnd you got them from where;)?

Ashman
03-21-2008, 13:21
Blue Ridge Mountian Outfitters, they had the pins not the split rings but it will get the job done for now!

JAK
03-21-2008, 13:29
You should be able to find split rings at places like West Marine.
The smallest and tightest that will fit are best.

JAK
03-21-2008, 13:34
On that note, you can sometimes get stainless steel split rings that are small in ring diameter but fairly hefty in wire diameter so that only one wire will fit into your clevis pin, but as long as there is enough space in the split ring where it is only one wire then it should work well. This makes for a smaller stronger split ring that is less likely to snag anything, which is what you don't want. In fresh water applications I would not worry about mixing stainless steel split rings with aluminum clevis pins. In salt water the aluminum will corrode some.

warraghiyagey
03-21-2008, 14:07
I got a few today at lunch, match the size of the ones I have. Thanks for the heads up guys
Where'd you get them??

warraghiyagey
03-21-2008, 14:08
Where'd you get them??
Never mind. I saw your answer.:sun

mudhead
03-21-2008, 17:06
Check the drawers at an Ace hardware type place, nosuchthingasawargy.

weary
03-21-2008, 17:21
I think I've seen some at Lowe's in the hardware drawers.
Pins and clips are a common hardware item. The clips won't look like the ones on your pack. But they will probably work even better than the originals. Your problem maybe to find pins small enough. Quarter inch diameter and larger ones are common. I don't know about smaller sizes.

But a drill will expand the holes in the frame, if needed. I think I know what you are talking about. But I'm speaking from memory. I'll look around for one of the frame packs I bought for my kids a long time ago.

Weary

Foyt20
03-22-2008, 12:17
campmor.com

atraildreamer
03-24-2008, 15:23
Yes, I remember that long wire holding all the pins in. Might be hard to find that particular item, but then again, single split rings would work as well.

When the pins pull out on some thick trail, THEY ARE IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND.

A locksmith sells these little stainless steel key split-rings in various sizes. They are harder to put on the end of a clevis pin than the usual wire rings supplied with the pin, but they are stronger, corrosion resistant and will not easily get pulled off the pin.

warraghiyagey
03-24-2008, 15:26
Check the drawers at an Ace hardware type place, nosuchthingasawargy.

Hey!!!!!!!

Nomad94
03-24-2008, 15:59
Plastic cable ties. Light, strong, rattle-free, cheap, multi-use. Carry some spares at a few grams and cut off if necessary.

johnny quest
03-24-2008, 16:04
sorry i just saw this thread. i would have mailed you a handful of them

Lyle
03-24-2008, 16:43
When you check the link I gave above, make sure you look in the drop-down box for the proper size, there is more than one option.