PDA

View Full Version : harpers ferry stay

wolf
01-22-2004, 20:31
we are hiking from pen mar to harpers ferry in may is the a good place to stay till our shuttle shows up to take us back to pa.we were thinking of staying at the comfort inn but kind of pricey need info

Lone Wolf
01-22-2004, 20:39
Stay at the Hilltop House, pretty close to the ATC. Around $20 cheaper than Comfort.

Brushy Sage
01-22-2004, 21:02
we are hiking from pen mar to harpers ferry in may is the a good place to stay till our shuttle shows up to take us back to pa.we were thinking of staying at the comfort inn but kind of pricey need info

When I picked up some friends who made that trek, they arrived in Harpers Ferry during the day and just hung out in the park at the foot of the hill downtown. If weather had been bad, they would have waited at ATC headquarters. The drive down from Pen Mar is what, just something over two hours? Just a thought.

A-Train
01-22-2004, 21:17
Stayed at the Hilltop this may. Split a very tiny room with an old TV for about 80 bucks. We talked them down from a lot more. Not very cheapy by thru-hiker standards, but we needed to dry out and relax. The hostel(s) in town are pretty off the beaten track altho if ur done hiking you may not care. Check at ATC office as well. When we were there a guy named Blue Moon had posted that he allowed hikers to sometimes stay at his house and that he ran daily shuttles to Charlestown. Have fun!

chief
01-23-2004, 00:05
I stayed at the comfort inn in HP a few days while awaiting my partners return to the trail. my advice, stay in charlestown, even for just overnight. HP is a big nothing!

Jack Tarlin
01-23-2004, 17:06
In addition to the Hilltop or Comfort Inn, there's also the excellent AYH hostel just out of town; also, you can check at the ATC office for a complete listing of local lodging options. Lastly, the great folks at the Outfitter's might know if there are any additional or new places that you might want to consider.

Patco
01-23-2004, 18:15
there's also the excellent AYH hostel just out of town;

What does the AYH stand for? I'm wondering if AYH Hostel is as redundant as ATM Machine or PIN Number or HIV Virus or even "hot water" heater. Should we start a whole new thread to list redundancies? Naw. Not trail related. I'd better go study for my SAT Test now. :-?

jlb2012
01-23-2004, 19:07
AYH = American Youth Hostel

screwysquirrel
01-23-2004, 22:38
Blue Duck and I stayed at the Hilltop for the weekend in May and it only cost us $40.00 bucks a night. And you couldn't beat there meals there. Maybe Im out of bounds posting this but I don't know if that's the same Blue Moon that (one A-Train mentioned in his post) Blue Duck and I met and had dinner with in 2000, but I would be very leery if he has an apartment next door to a dentist.

wolf
01-25-2004, 20:36
Blue Duck and I stayed at the Hilltop for the weekend in May and it only cost us $40.00 bucks a night. And you couldn't beat there meals there. Maybe Im out of bounds posting this but I don't know if that's the same Blue Moon that (one A-Train mentioned in his post) Blue Duck and I met and had dinner with in 2000, but I would be very leery if he has an apartment next door to a dentist.

location from trail and phone #

Lone Wolf
01-25-2004, 20:39
phone 304-535-2132

Jack Tarlin
03-03-2004, 17:46
The Hilltop is about a 5 minute walk from either the ATC office, which is itself a few minutes from the Trail or the center of town.

There IS a hiker rate of $40.00, so make sure they know you're on the Trail.

Be aware that the rooms are comfortable, but relatively simple; for example, not all of them have a TV. If there are certain amenities you require, you might want to call ahead before heading to the Hotel.