PDA

View Full Version : Four people missing in the Smokies

tripp
03-21-2008, 12:08
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2008/mar/21/rangers-searching-cavers-who-didnt-come-home-smoki/

Hope they turn up safe and sound

mts4602
03-21-2008, 15:48
seems like they found them, but it doesn't say why they couldn't get out on their own....I've been to Rainbow Falls and had no idea this cave existed.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-21-2008, 16:43
The Rainbow Falls they are discussing is not the Rainbow Falls near Gatlinburg and along a trail to Mt LeConte, but the one you get to by bushwhacking off the School House Gap trail. This area is also home to the 'blow hole', a cave that blows cold air year round.

The cave entrance is very small and and nearly immediately drops off from a ledge into a pool. It is not an easy cave to explore.

troglobil
03-21-2008, 18:41
If its Bull cave they were in,( it is the main cave in the park), it has a 130 foot entrance pit. They would also have been required to get an entrance permit from NPS. They may face some big fines without one.

mts4602
03-22-2008, 13:20
How does one become a member of a volunteer rescue squad. I would love a job like that, especially in the Smokies.

d'shadow
03-22-2008, 13:33
They were found alive and well, just a bit cold. Rescuers stated they were inexperienced and poorly equiped for the trip. Just another example of how important it is to leave word, and your plans with someone when you go somewhere. The person at home raised the alert when they did not return at the appointed time and, they did need to be rescued. Glad everyone is okay.

troglobil
03-22-2008, 21:19
How does one become a member of a volunteer rescue squad. I would love a job like that, especially in the Smokies.

If you have one in your area, talk to them, show interest and get some training such as EMT, WFR, CPR, Rope rescue, or whatever would be needed in your area. Being in Kentucky, you might want to consider cave rescue through the National Cave Rescue Commission.

general
03-24-2008, 21:24

in georgia the dnr search and rescue team has a friends of dnr search and rescue chapter. it's a vol. organization that provides assistance (in lots of capacities) to the dnr team. there is a lot of training involved. if you could get some group to pay for it, your wallet would feel much better. even a wfr course is between 2 and 3 hundred bucks.