PDA

View Full Version : Pocket rocket pot combo

Mr HaHa
03-21-2008, 13:14
Was on campsaver.com this morning. MSR pocket rocket and ti kettle combo $49.95 at the outlet store.

mkmangold
03-28-2008, 00:01
Thanks HaHa. I went to my local REI first and found out that yes, the Pocket Rocket AND the ti kettle cost $50 each. So I ordered the combo from campsaver!

Mr HaHa
03-28-2008, 18:03
Thanks HaHa. I went to my local REI first and found out that yes, the Pocket Rocket AND the ti kettle cost $50 each. So I ordered the combo from campsaver!
Looked like a pretty good deal to me.

mkmangold
03-29-2008, 17:39
Now that I received it, I know why this is such a bargain. The Pocket Rocket, when it is inside its red plastic case, does not fit into the titanium pot. It is just a skosh too big. No real problem: I'll figure something out but I can see where this wouldn't sell real well.

mudhead
03-29-2008, 17:42
Is the skosh small enough that you can sand the case down without ruining it?

Their online photo sure makes it look like it wants to fit. Maybe that is why the cap is shown off.

Good luck, and thanks for the heads-up.

Thrasher
03-29-2008, 20:18
I would just put your fuel cannister in the kettle and the pocket rocket inside it's case.

hopefulhiker
03-30-2008, 11:05
This is a good set up and a good deal, lighter and cheaper than a Jet Boil.....

take-a-knee
03-30-2008, 11:34
Now that I received it, I know why this is such a bargain. The Pocket Rocket, when it is inside its red plastic case, does not fit into the titanium pot. It is just a skosh too big. No real problem: I'll figure something out but I can see where this wouldn't sell real well.

You need a bandanna/handkerchief for a potholder anyway, just wrap the stove in the bandanna and it might fit without rattling. That is the best pot there is for a solo hiker.

Mr HaHa
03-30-2008, 12:28
Now that I received it, I know why this is such a bargain. The Pocket Rocket, when it is inside its red plastic case, does not fit into the titanium pot. It is just a skosh too big. No real problem: I'll figure something out but I can see where this wouldn't sell real well. Good stove,good pot,good deal! "Take it and run to the bus".

Mrs Baggins
03-30-2008, 12:56
Good stove,good pot,good deal! "Take it and run to the bus".

Saw it AFTER I had already bought both the Pocket Rocket and the Titanium pot at REI.com. I've already tossed the boxes and receipts. :mad: And I'm getting on the trail Sunday so I don't have time to figure out how to return it all and buy the cheaper set. :mad::mad::mad: Oh well. :(

Heater
03-30-2008, 14:35
Saw it AFTER I had already bought both the Pocket Rocket and the Titanium pot at REI.com. I've already tossed the boxes and receipts. :mad: And I'm getting on the trail Sunday so I don't have time to figure out how to return it all and buy the cheaper set. :mad::mad::mad: Oh well. :(

You don't need a receipt at REI if you are in their system. Give it a try. :)

Summit
03-30-2008, 14:46
You don't need a receipt at REI if you are in their system. Give it a try. :)That is true. I've returned numerous things to REI with only the product, as long as you bought it with your membership card. On the other hand, Campsaver.com is sold out at this time. They are accepting back-orders, but that won't help you if you start your hike in a week. ;)

YeOldeBackpacker
03-30-2008, 15:24
I wouldn't waste your time with the backorders, MSR dropped this combo for the 2008 line up, most likely because of the Reactor cook system.
So chances of getting one shipped from MSR is really slim, there may be a few in a wharehouse someplace but I wouldn't bank on it.
The stove will fit inside the pot but it only goes in one way, you kinda have to play with it a little to make it go in.

That is true. I've returned numerous things to REI with only the product, as long as you bought it with your membership card. On the other hand, Campsaver.com is sold out at this time. They are accepting back-orders, but that won't help you if you start your hike in a week. ;)

Thrasher
03-30-2008, 15:47
That is true. I've returned numerous things to REI with only the product, as long as you bought it with your membership card. On the other hand, Campsaver.com is sold out at this time. They are accepting back-orders, but that won't help you if you start your hike in a week. ;)

At campsaver, the msr ti kettle is out of stock, but not the msr pocket rocket/kettle combo. I just looked and their inventory has gone up from when I ordered it a few weeks ago. It's currently says they have 197 in stock. If you buy something else for cheap, you can get free ups shipping (spend $50 or more) because the combo is $49.99.

Heater
03-30-2008, 15:52
Pocket Rockets go on sale in the summer for 20 bucks. That's what I got mine for.

That doesn't help someone leaving next week. Gotta wait for it. ;)

mudhead
03-30-2008, 17:48
The stove will fit inside the pot but it only goes in one way, you kinda have to play with it a little to make it go in.

That is good! Once you line it up, it probably drops right into place. Must be designed by you-know-whos.

Summit
03-30-2008, 18:02
At campsaver, the msr ti kettle is out of stock, but not the msr pocket rocket/kettle combo. I just looked and their inventory has gone up from when I ordered it a few weeks ago. It's currently says they have 197 in stock. If you buy something else for cheap, you can get free ups shipping (spend $50 or more) because the combo is $49.99.You're right as of this afternoon. I went there this morning and it showed an "Out of stock - backorders only." I don't think I'll order 'cause my Jetboil is practically new.

mkmangold
03-30-2008, 18:14
No amount of tinkering is going to get the PocketRocket inside the plastic case into the ti pot. However, I covered the business end of the PR (the one that screws into the canister) with the plastic lid of the case and it all fits snugly into the pot. No rattling.
I like the little bugger: I'm glad I took HaHa's advice.