PDA

View Full Version : Kids first time out!

Outrider
03-21-2008, 13:14
I am planning on taking my 7(8 in June) year old daughter out on her first overnighter in May. She has been car camping for 4 years and we have been doing some day hikes as well. I am currious to hear from some parents out there that have started their kids out at that age.

I have her a pack and sleeping bag and plan on keeping her wieght below 8lbs. To start out we are going to do one night and its only about 2 1/2 miles into the camp site.

I am looking for any tips, suggestions or little tricks from people that have gone throught this with their own kids.

Thanks for any info!

JAK
03-21-2008, 13:24
Margaret and I have done longer trips in rugged terrain with myself carrying everything. She was much more mobile that way, and was much happier carrying just a small satchel. She is mostly interested in carrying stuff like map, compass, whistle, small water bottle, bow and arrow, and whatever suitable hiking stick she happens to stumple across. I've thought about having her carry 10 essentials and all that, but as yet I don't let he out of sight. Oh, she likes to gather rocks also, but lets me carry those.

Trip reports:
http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2325
http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2494

Ashman
03-21-2008, 13:28
I've got my first trip coming up with my daughter (8 as well) this June be sure to post a report of how your trip went. I will interested to hear responses.

tlbj6142
03-21-2008, 13:42
My 3 kids (now 4, 7, 10) all had their first backpacking trip around when they were 4-5 yo.

First make sure you have some way to carry everything (lash their pack to yours, etc.). It doesn't take more than back-to-back banged up knees to destroy their moral. It happened to me once, and it was ugly. But I knew I could carry everything if needed. I only had to do it for 1-2 miles, but it helped them quite a bit. Then I slowly added stuff back on their backs (nearly empty pack, then later add a water bottle, later their bag, etc.).

Plan stops often. "This looks like a nice log to take a break. Let's have some gorp!". If you stop often, later you can use it a leverage, "Hike to the top of the next hill and we'll take a break!". Plus then you control when the breaks happen rather than them. If they control it, whining can, and does, start to happen.

Bring stuff to do in camp if it rains. I always bring a few dice (now sure what I'd do with them??!!) and a deck of H2O Uno cards (plastic uno cards). My kids like to journal, so a 5x8 notebook pencil and an 8 pack of crayons are nice to have.

Allow them to do stuff they can't do at home. Play in the creek. Catch bugs. Get dirty. Just make sure you warn them ahead of time, that if they get soaked/muddy you will have to clean them up.

Get a lanyard and put a whistle and a small LED light on it. Tell them to never take it off. If they get lost they should sit down and blow the whistle. count to 100, repeat. Cover themselves with leaves if it gets cold. You might even want to practice once you get to camp. It gives them quite a bit of confidence. Plus it allows you to allow them to wonder a bit while you setup camp, cook, etc. All 3 of my kids have become "lost" (I could see them, but they thought they were lost), they have all used their whistles correctly.

Take some special food/snack and surprise them after dinner or during a mid-day break. They will remember that forever. Make it something they don't usually get a home. I always take Ginger snaps in an empty short peanut butter can. They are hard cookies and we only have them on backpacking trips.

Take some flavored mix for water. I have to make my kids drink most of the time. Once a day, I mix up a quart of Gatorade. This way I know they get some fluids. Plus once they know I have the mix, I can use it to get them to drink their water. "Finish this (8oz) water and I'll mix up some Gatorade."

For my daughters, going to the bathroom was a bit of an issue. I found that having them sit over a moss covered blowdown worked quite well. Or, finding a couple of well spaced rocks they can sit on. After a few trips, this isn't as necessary, but it helps on those first 1-3 trips. Make sure they see you clean-up the cat-hole. That way the learn how important it is to dispose of waste properly.

Have fun!

Here's some photos from our last 2 trips. Trip 1 (http://picasaweb.google.com/yellowjacketlite/DollySodsJune2007?authkey=4Xx4_jYf6h4), Trip 2 (http://picasaweb.google.com/yellowjacketlite/DollySodsFall2007?authkey=h0D8lXe6CBo).

Summit
03-21-2008, 13:43
I started my son at 4/5, so 7/8 is certainly not child-abuse! :D

Let her carry her clothes and some "entertainment" items. Years ago, for my son, that was Ninja Turtles and a gameboy. I don't know what little girls are into these days, but let her take a reasonable amount of whatever that is.

Good idea by Jak to get her involved by carrying the map and maybe her own water bottle - just a little bit of self-sufficiency, but don't overdo it. Have fun! :)

toddhiker
03-21-2008, 13:45
Congrats to both of you! It will be the start of wonderful memories. (I have three daughters)

It's great to have her carry something (sleeping bag, her extra clothes, bottle of water, snack bars). But as to how much weight, that's very subjective----depends on her build, height,etc. However, since she has some hiking experience already she'll do better than "average" for her age. Just like kids' backpacks at school, too much weight can lead to back injury or pain for her, so err on the lighter side.

Ditto for mileage.

My best advice centers around doing what works for her. Hiking, as you know, can be tough. Therefore you should let her mess up the "schedule" if you have one. As JAK said, rock collecting is a favorite, along w/exploring off trail, watching wildlife, etc. By letting her do those things she will enjoy the experience much more. Also along those lines make smores in camp and have hot chocolate and a campfire if possible.

Again, congrats and have fun!

JAK
03-21-2008, 13:50
For clothing a good set of long sleeve polyester tops and bottoms are a good investment. She wore those almost continuously with light nylon short, plus alternating between a somewhat oversized fleece vest which overlapped her shorts, or a hoody of some kind which she could pull her knees up inside in camp. Smart wool hiking socks. Underwear is not a serious issue at that age, so I left that in her department. For that matter, she was telling me what to wear most of the time and not the other way around. A fleece vest is a good option for kids because you can get them extra long without dealing with extra long arms. I suppose you could always shorten arms. It's hard to find good wool for kids, but be on the look out. Hat and gloves are always good to bring even in summer. One set of clothes is enough for kids. They don't stink like we do and if they get their clothes wet you can spin them dry if they are good fleece and polyester. Best to remove clothes before spinning.

Outrider
03-21-2008, 13:55
Some great info everyone!

The bathroom breaks are a concern for me right now. Not that she cant do it or wont, but doing it and staying as "clean" as she can. Not too worried about drinking water. She loves water and drinks it all the time. I buy the crystal lite packets and she loves them.

Great tip on being able to pack their stuff as well. I had not thought about that.

tlbj6142
03-21-2008, 14:03
Not that she cant do it or wont, but doing it and staying as "clean" as she can.I bring along baby wipes that I cut in half. They use them to clean-up.
Not too worried about drinking water. She loves water and drinks it all the time. I buy the crystal lite packets and she loves them.The problems is that water in the backcountry doesn't always taste like water from home. Some times it is "hard" (sulfur) or acidic, etc. It is the water's flavor that can be a turn-off for them. I sort of enjoy the different water flavors, but they don't.

JAK
03-21-2008, 14:20
I think a small wool or fleece blanket is very handy with kids about, especially if they do any swimming, planned or otherwise. Also useful as spare clothing and for sleeping. We each had a fleece blanket poncho with a light nylon poncho same size, and we covered ourselves at night with our hiking clothes, then the fleece ponchos, then the light nylon shells. Very versatile. On the colder night she got more and I get less, but it was warm enough inside a kids tent with out two blue foam pads. I think you really have to have the option of snuggling them if they get cold anyways, so unless your regular sleeping bag is big enough for that you have to do something else. Homemade fleece poncho/blankets worked for us, and I think the nylon shell was worth its weight also. Full width ground pads are key. Hers can be shorter of course. I don't use a tent myself, but with her along I slept better knowing she was right there and couldn't wander off without waking me. I'm not that worried about bears here either, except when she is with me, and again I think it helped that she was right there. There have been no recorded fatalities in New Brunswick from bear attacks, ever, but not a lot of statistics on 48 pound kids sleeping in the woods either, so keep 'em close I say. We had one visitor sniffing at my feet in the morning to wake me up. I think it was a racoon. It had dragged her sneakers and my pack a small ways also, but did no harm otherwise. Food was hanging a ways away, which I don't normally do by myself either.

Anyhow, we have alot of bears here, but they are very timid, but I think you should keep really small children really close regardless, no matter where the food is stored. It just seems natural to me to do so, and I think its something that bears can understand, even if we don't.

jesse
03-21-2008, 14:35
I would carry all the gear. Don't need spare clothing. This subject comes up a lot. I think i'm in the minority. How much does she weigh? 8 lbs is a lot for a 7y/o.

Outrider
03-21-2008, 14:38
She weighs 60lbs.

JAK
03-21-2008, 14:44
Yeah, toilet paper is another luxury I get when Margaret comes along. When I was her age and younger leaves were good enough for the girls in my neighbourhood, but that was then I guess. Her call. I did teach her to take one leg all the way out beforehand. Avoids alot of grief. She still does that as far as I know. My only job now is to make the cat holes for number two, and to fill them back in again. Anyhow, one set of clothes should be enough, but its probably a good idea of this includes at least one set of light polyester tights, and one set of light fleece pants also, so they can wear one or the other or both. Two layers is more flexible than one. I don't really see the need for underwear at that age if they are wearing fleece or tights but I figure that's her call. One pair is probably a good idea. If your resourceful enough you can wash and dry that sort of thing on the march when you need to. Her mother packed a boatload of clothes course, but we left most of that in the car.

Outrider
03-21-2008, 14:49
I am good as far as clothes go. She has all kinds of fleece tops and bottoms. I got her a good base layer as well as some kids trail runners from REI and good wool socks.

JAK
03-21-2008, 14:51
I would carry all the gear. Don't need spare clothing. This subject comes up a lot. I think i'm in the minority. How much does she weigh? 8 lbs is a lot for a 7y/o.I concur. She does her job by marching and exploring. She hiked me into the ground, 19km on the last day from 1:30 to midnight in the rain, and half of that in very rugged terrain. When she gets a bone in her teeth there's no stopping her. More of a hiker than a camper I guess. 48 pound hiking machine. Still light enough to carry, which I don't mind either now and then.

JAK
03-21-2008, 14:52
I am good as far as clothes go. She has all kinds of fleece tops and bottoms. I got her a good base layer as well as some kids trail runners from REI and good wool socks.Margaret like to wear my brimmed hiking hat. :)
Good thing its adjustable.

tlbj6142
03-21-2008, 14:57
Here's what I bring for my kids...
LS or SS polypro top (depending on season). Get these from Wal-Mart or Target for $5-$9 each
Zip off pants (once upon a child for $4-$6)
2x wool socks (sierratradingpost always has them on closeout)
polypro "long johns" (top and bottoms). They wear these to bed most nights. And maybe in the morning if it is cold. Rarely while hiking.
1 pair extra underwear
long oversized (must be able to wear all their clothes under it) rain jacket (once upon a child and/or closeouts from campor, etc.)
old tennis shoes. I use to bring sandals but I no longer do. If I were to go hiking in hot weather where I know they would play water all day, I'd bring cheap-o sandals.
TNF Tigger sleeping bags. Though my oldest now uses a Mountain Hardware $100 down bag I found on clearance somewhere.
heavy fleece top
fleece hat and gloves
Lanyard with whistle and LED
journal/pencil/crayons/plushy
Short inflatable pads (TorsoLite from bpl.com)
bowl, cup, spoon
For my youngest, I bring along extra pants in case they get soaked from playing, rain, falling in a puddle, etc. Once they are 7-8yo I let them suffer.:DFor my 4yo, I carry everything (though I do have a stuff sack with shoulderstraps he starts with, but I end up carrying it within an hour). For my 7yo, she carries all of her clothes, pad, journal/plushy, bowl/cup plus our snacks for the day in a $9 Target book bag. My oldest carries her clothes, journal/plushy, pad, bag, bowl/cup, some water and our tent (homemade 2# 3.5 person tarptent) in a Deuter Fox 30.

I carry 3 sleeping bags, stove, my stuff, most of the food, most of the water, everything else (in my Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone).

budforester
03-21-2008, 16:21
Bug dope... was that mentioned? I especially liked Yellow Jacket's suggestion that she have a whistle and light.

Outrider
03-24-2008, 16:45
Yeah, the whistle and light is a great idea. We are going camping in two weeks and I am going to do some day hikes with her and let her take her pack so I can get an idea how she will do.

Bulldawg
03-24-2008, 19:22
Honestly, I guess I'll accused of child abuse or something, but I have a 7 year old (be 8 in September) who has been carrying everything she chose to carry since she was 5. She probably has 100+ miles under her and loves to hike. In fact she decided to go to the movies with family instead of hiking with me Saturday and bugged me all day Sunday to take her. Had it not been Easter, we probably would have went back out Sunday. I always tell her the basics she must have for each hike and let her decide on the rest. I always check her pack and it has yet to reach the 10 pound mark. It mostly hovers around 7-8 pounds. Now she is a bigger than normal 7 year old. She stands at 54 inches tall and weighs around 70 pounds. She plays basketball, soccer, and softball. Probably going to be like her dad and be bigger than everyone else until high school then watch as everyone passes her!

We too are planning our first overnighter once the nights get warm enough. Probably late May or early June. We plan on a 14 mile--2 day hike. She easily, without argument or fuss does 8-10 mile days, so I am sure with the added weight of a sleeping bag, she will be just fine with 7 miles per day. I have appreciated all the ideas here. i will hunt for a led to hang around her neck. She already always carries the whistle and does carry a flashlight in an outside pocket of her pack. I plan on carrying all the food and her hammock. She will carry her water, her clothes, her sleeping bag, and anything she choses on her own to take. We always take the propel water packets out with us. we tried the Nunn tablets and they IMO are just nasty!! I am going to monitor this thread and see what other great ideas are put out her by all the great members on Whiteblaze. Thanks!!

AlabamaDan
03-26-2008, 14:55
I took my 6 year old son on an overnight hike with the cub scouts to sleep in a cave a few weeks ago. He took a basic adult school backpack with a change of clothes, his sleeping bag and his bulky sleeping pad. He's a little guy for his age too. It was probably 10 lbs. The hike was about a mile in. He did fine and never complianed about his pack at all. In fact he ran and moved much faster than me.

Blissful
03-26-2008, 15:05
I took my 6 year old son on an overnight hike with the cub scouts to sleep in a cave a few weeks ago. He took a basic adult school backpack with a change of clothes, his sleeping bag and his bulky sleeping pad. He's a little guy for his age too. It was probably 10 lbs. The hike was about a mile in. He did fine and never complianed about his pack at all. In fact he ran and moved much faster than me.

Good for him! An AT long distance hiker in the making.

JAK
03-26-2008, 16:33
Bug dope... was that mentioned? I especially liked Yellow Jacket's suggestion that she have a whistle and light.I was concerned about bug dope and bears on our trip last summer. Found this bug dope that was citronella based as supposedly safe for kids, left in the car because I was curious about bears and kids. Fortunately got neither skeeters nor bears.

CursedKarma
03-26-2008, 17:10
My daughter (7) and I have been hiking her whole life. One of the special things i carry, now she carries is a blow up potty. http://www.potties.com/ I know you think ***. You will be here hero.

Outrider
03-26-2008, 17:16
That is awesome! I think I need one as well! LOL:banana

canoehead
03-26-2008, 18:07
keep it fun,,, our family has been going camping, backpacking with our kid even when he was in the pack..... that was 20 years ago.. Now he's a forestry maj..

Peace

JAK
03-26-2008, 18:13
My daughter (7) and I have been hiking her whole life. One of the special things i carry, now she carries is a blow up potty. http://www.potties.com/ I know you think ***. You will be her hero.Hey. Ultralight, packable, and doubles as a pillow and life raft. :banana

bigcranky
03-26-2008, 19:02
Lilac (her trail name) has been day hiking and car camping since she was two, and did her first overnight when she was 4. She's been carrying all her own gear since she was 7 or 8 -- clothing, sleeping bag and pad, water, snacks, and personal gear. (She's 17 now, and doesn't have a lot of spare time for hiking. But she still has the skills.)

She likes to carry books so she can hang out in camp in the evening and read. She also likes to journal. We always put a small stuffed animal (beanie baby) in her pack, and she sometimes still carries one <g>. She's using my Hennessey Hammock when we hike, and my wife and I use our Tarptent. Good combo for privacy (for all parties.) And she *loves* the hammock.

A headlamp is invaluable, even just a Photon light with the hat brim clip. A good rain shell and pants -- kids get wet and cold quick. Fleece hat and gloves, even in the summer. It can get chilly at night around camp. She likes camp shoes -- Crocs or some such are good. That way she can muck around in creeks and such.

Teach her what to do if you get separated. The first rule is to stay put ("hug a tree.") Then make yourself visible to rescuers (don't hide due to embarrassment.)

JAK
03-26-2008, 19:09
I hope to still be hiking with Margaret when she is 17, and still be talking like she was 7. :)

GGS2
03-26-2008, 19:26
I hope to still be hiking with Margaret when she is 17, and still be talking like she was 7. :)

Dream on, JAK. Oh, well, maybe you will have all the luck. I hope so. :sun

CrumbSnatcher
03-26-2008, 19:40
curious if anyone has hiked with an infant. my ole' lady and myself might do a hike this fall with our daughter who would be 10-11 months old at the time. sobo on the long trail starting at the border. any help would be great. especially the resupply points along the way.shuttles. best start time IYO no bugs/or extreme heat? if possible. what not to miss ,etc... would like to hear the pros and cons hiking with such a young child. thanks

JAK
03-26-2008, 19:48
Dream on, JAK. Oh, well, maybe you will have all the luck. I hope so. :sunI'll definitely be hedging my bet by keeping memories and making every day count.

JAK
03-26-2008, 19:58
curious if anyone has hiked with an infant. my ole' lady and myself might do a hike this fall with our daughter who would be 10-11 months old at the time. sobo on the long trail starting at the border. any help would be great. especially the resupply points along the way.shuttles. best start time IYO no bugs/or extreme heat? if possible. what not to miss ,etc... would like to hear the pros and cons hiking with such a young child. thanksThat's a really good question and I would like to hear also.
I'm sure its been done. I'm just curious about some issues, and how much farther away from 'civilization' might be considered safe enough as they reach different milestones, 3 months, 6 months, 12 months, etc. Poopy diapers wouldn't concern me too much. Fear of the unknown is the parents biggest I think, especially with the first one. I remember us leaving the hospital for the first time with Margaret and thinking, what are these people, nuts? Where's the security in this place? Then us running for the car before they changed their mind, even though we knew we hadn't two clues to rub together between the two of us. I understand the second one is not so bad.

Outrider
03-26-2008, 20:59
We are expecting a third child in November and I am already starting to look at child carriers or day hikes. MY wife looks at me like I am nuts! :eek:

I think at that age day hikes would be fine. Not sure yet about doing any overnight trips. Not sure how I feel about being away from help with a child thay young.

I also would love to hear some other stories about trips with young kids like that.

angel2cdwings
03-29-2008, 22:44
Just got back from taking my granddaughter who is 2 1/2 on an overnight. I have to say she walked the 1 1/2 miles in and 1 1/2 miles out on her own carrying her "pack". She carried a change of socks and underwear, her poncho, snacks, 16 oz water, and a few wmergency items. Total weight of her pack was 4 lbs. She did a wonderful job with no whinning or dragging but. We averaged an hour for each trip which I had anticipated longer. She searched for pine cones and would pick them up and carry them till we found a "family" of pine cones so that she could reunite them. We had a blast and would have stayed out an additional day but the rain got to us. She did not like the fact that she could not go out and play. I can't wait till we go again.

Bulldawg
03-30-2008, 13:28
Just got back from taking my granddaughter who is 2 1/2 on an overnight. I have to say she walked the 1 1/2 miles in and 1 1/2 miles out on her own carrying her "pack". She carried a change of socks and underwear, her poncho, snacks, 16 oz water, and a few wmergency items. Total weight of her pack was 4 lbs. She did a wonderful job with no whinning or dragging but. We averaged an hour for each trip which I had anticipated longer. She searched for pine cones and would pick them up and carry them till we found a "family" of pine cones so that she could reunite them. We had a blast and would have stayed out an additional day but the rain got to us. She did not like the fact that she could not go out and play. I can't wait till we go again.

Cool, where did you guys go, if I might ask??

angel2cdwings
03-30-2008, 19:23
Went to Stover Creek. Nice and easy for the first time out. A few down trees and rocks made for an enjoyable game for her when she got to them. Life couldn't be better for me right now!

Micky
03-30-2008, 20:01
I took my kids (son 11 and daughter 6) day hiking over the weekend in GSMNP. they loved it. We hiked about 8 miles total on thursday and 5 on friday. I just let them set the pace.

Outrider
04-06-2008, 17:59
Went camping this weekend with the family at Fall Creek Falls. Did some day hiking in Saturday with my daughters. I let my oldest try out her pack loaded with what she would carry on a overnight trip. Her pack weight with 1 liter of water was right around 8lbs. We went about 1 1/2 miles and she had no problem at all. After that we hiked down to the base of Fall Creek Falls which is 1/2 mile and prety steep going down. I did not have her carry her pack but she did it no problem. This was the first test with her new pack and shoes. I would ask her about every 10 minutes if she was hurting anywhere. She never did have any pain or discomfort. The pack worked great for her and she had no issues with the weight. We are shooting for out first overnighter in May. Looking at doing about 3 miles in.

After this weekend she is all excited about going again!

JAK
04-06-2008, 18:02
Went to a sugar bush with the kids today. It wasn't much of a hike, but it was woodsy. Definitely need to make more room for pancakes next time. Lots of leftovers to eat when kids are full of maple candy on snow.

Bulldawg
04-06-2008, 21:17
We did the five mile loop today to the top of Rabun Bald. My daughter was loaded at about 9 pounds, which is what I figure her pack will weigh for our May or June overnighter. She did complain one time, almost at the top. After the 20 minute break at the fire tower, she was candy to the truck. I think she is ready for the 13 mile 2 FULL day section in May or June. We will keep practicing though.

Wilson
04-06-2008, 22:40
Taking a vacation day tomorrow with my 4 and 6 year old boys, they're good for a couple hours hiking and then stop for ice cream and sleep all the way home.

ki0eh
04-08-2008, 09:43
Taking a vacation day tomorrow with my 4 and 6 year old boys, they're good for a couple hours hiking and then stop for ice cream and sleep all the way home.

I went on the Thousand Steps on PA's Standing Stone Trail http://www.hike-sst.org/highlights.htm with my 4 year old daughter last year and she could barely stay awake through the ice cream! :D

4eyedbuzzard
04-08-2008, 10:08
I am planning on taking my 7(8 in June) year old daughter out on her first overnighter in May. She has been car camping for 4 years and we have been doing some day hikes as well. I am currious to hear from some parents out there that have started their kids out at that age.

I have her a pack and sleeping bag and plan on keeping her wieght below 8lbs. To start out we are going to do one night and its only about 2 1/2 miles into the camp site.

I am looking for any tips, suggestions or little tricks from people that have gone throught this with their own kids.

Thanks for any info!

Mine are all grown now, but I started them at age 5 or so. Only one of the four really has the bug though. She wants to thru hike and drag my sorry butt along in 2010.:D

If you arrive way too early and are able to do more than the 2 1/2 miles, consider planning a short side hike using the campsite as a base. Maybe a walk to a lookout, stream, or other point of interest just to kill some extra time if needed. Kids love to gather firewood too and it keeps them busy (hint). Try to only collect one or two souvenier rocks. Also remember that kids get colder and sleep colder than us adults so plan appropriately. A candle lantern, a few baby wipes, and bug juice, can be assets tha can make life easier as well.
A nice dinner followed by campfire with hot chocolate, marshmellows, smores, etc. always works(I'm kinda partial to them too).

I used to take a constellation guide with us for star gazing on clear nights if there was a view of the sky.

Werewolf, Jersey Devil, and other such stories are usually best avoided until they're tweens.

AlabamaDan
04-10-2008, 11:57
I talked to my daughter (almost 9) about hiking the other day. She says she likes it alot so I said, "Did you know there's a hiking trail that goes all the way from GA to ME?....It's over 2000 miles." We talked about that for a while and she said that would take about 4 months. Good guess for a little girls - I said try 6 or 7. She said, we couldn't do that over the summer without missing school.

I said maybe we could try some long weekends after she gets out of school, but we're not ready for a thru-hike.

I need to be careful or I might create a monster!

envirodiver
04-10-2008, 12:18
Went camping this weekend with the family at Fall Creek Falls. Did some day hiking in Saturday with my daughters. I let my oldest try out her pack loaded with what she would carry on a overnight trip. Her pack weight with 1 liter of water was right around 8lbs. We went about 1 1/2 miles and she had no problem at all. After that we hiked down to the base of Fall Creek Falls which is 1/2 mile and prety steep going down. I did not have her carry her pack but she did it no problem. This was the first test with her new pack and shoes. I would ask her about every 10 minutes if she was hurting anywhere. She never did have any pain or discomfort. The pack worked great for her and she had no issues with the weight. We are shooting for out first overnighter in May. Looking at doing about 3 miles in.

After this weekend she is all excited about going again!

Fall Creek Falls is a great family camping spot. Took my young daughters there often.

Blissful
04-10-2008, 14:09
I talked to my daughter (almost 9) about hiking the other day. She says she likes it alot so I said, "Did you know there's a hiking trail that goes all the way from GA to ME?....It's over 2000 miles." We talked about that for a while and she said that would take about 4 months. Good guess for a little girls - I said try 6 or 7. She said, we couldn't do that over the summer without missing school.

I said maybe we could try some long weekends after she gets out of school, but we're not ready for a thru-hike.

I need to be careful or I might create a monster!

This is great!!! :)

You can talk to Kirby who is out of school to do it this year - he has to do summer school and work on some projects when he gets back. Or as many hikers told me when I was out with my son last year, there's no better schooling to be had.