PDA

View Full Version : Callous removal???

Blister
03-21-2008, 14:09
I can't believe I am asking this in a post, but the day to day pain is getting worse. I have many callouses on my feet, I am somewhat proud of them as they have been put through quite a few miles. Latley however a hard surface on the ball of my left foot is giving me excruciating pain. I have tried soaking to soften the area but it just makes it more sensitive. I am using callous removing pads with a medicated disk that is applied first, but it hasn't seemed to do anything. I have no insurance to see a doctor about it. I have thought about sanding down the spot with pumice but I have never done that, does it hurt, will it help. Walking down the street after it has been sanded for ice ect, I just grip my teeth and deal with the pain, just stepping on a small stone shoots pain straight through my foot. Spring is near and all I want to do is get out and hike, but I can't imagine it with this pain. Of all the foot trouble I haved learned hard lessons about this is a first for me. Suggestions???????

Appalachian Tater
03-21-2008, 14:17
If it is only a callous, soaking in hot water and then using a pumice stone or one of those callous files that looks like a wood file/cheese grater will remove it. The callous itself is dead skin and doesn't have nerve endings so there is no pain until you get to innervated skin. However, the pain you are describing doesn't sound like it is caused by a callous. Could be something else such as a neuroma or bursitis. You may need to see a physician. You could try some sort of cushioning pad in the meantime, there are commercial products available.

http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec05/ch072/ch072b.html

budforester
03-21-2008, 15:35
Could that be a plantar wart? Here's a wiki link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantar_wart)

envirodiver
03-21-2008, 15:54
Same thing that I was thinking budforester. I had a planters wart as a kid and they really hurt.

mudhead
03-21-2008, 16:11
Also could be a garden variety corn. Can't even put weight on then when they are bad. The corn removal stuff does not cut it for me.

I soak. About an hour, hot water. I grind. Then soak for a few minutes, then grind again. Do not grind into "meat," stay in the callous layer.

I have a collection of pumice stones, but my favorites are the coarse, cheap, rectangular ones from Wmart. I find the fancy, fine textured ones are for dainty feet.

I do this every time I trim the toenails, and sometimes in between trims.

Quick fix. Gob of Bag Balm, covered with bandaid. Wear loose sock. Overnight. Softens it. Can grind a little, but soaking is better.

Two grindings are better than one that goes too deep.

If it is a corn, when you grind the callous away with a pumice stone, you will see a small circular "crater," or circular callous pattern.

I have had "nonwornout" shoes do this, due to some pressure point that you can sometimes find. A nub of glue or thread as example. I throw them out.

Sorry to be wordy. This subject is close to me.

BipolarStroller
03-21-2008, 16:38
I agree with MudHead, Bag Balm is your friend!

take-a-knee
03-21-2008, 23:20
I've seen blisters develop UNDER large callouses, like Tater said, sand it down and if the skin that remains feels loose, like it isn't adhering to the dermis below, just treat it like a normal blister.

Blister
03-22-2008, 12:18
Thanks guys and gals! I checked out everybodies related linkage, definaltley not a planters wart by the physical description on the sites. I am going to get a pumice soak and shave down. I fthat doesn't do it the closest description to what I am feeleing and via the images I googles may be Mortons neuroma. Hence a doctors visit and a pinch on the pocket book. But it must be done. I have always had a problem in the beginning of hikes (except the AT) with blisters under callouses. But then my feet just get harder and tougher without any other problems. Thanks all!!!

take-a-knee
03-22-2008, 12:26
Thanks guys and gals! I checked out everybodies related linkage, definaltley not a planters wart by the physical description on the sites. I am going to get a pumice soak and shave down. I fthat doesn't do it the closest description to what I am feeleing and via the images I googles may be Mortons neuroma. Hence a doctors visit and a pinch on the pocket book. But it must be done. I have always had a problem in the beginning of hikes (except the AT) with blisters under callouses. But then my feet just get harder and tougher without any other problems. Thanks all!!!

I'm guessing you have a blister under a callous, that is causing a painful pressure point, I don't think a doc could do anything for you. Sand it down and make a moleskin doughnut around the pressure point and try to stay off of it for a while. Once your body absorbs the serous fluid in the blister it'll feel a lot better. Your dermis will grow more connective tissue and toughen up once you start training again.

JAK
03-22-2008, 16:17
Taking up swimming or paddling for a few weeks might help.

Bob S
03-22-2008, 17:56
Just use a wood sander, that disk spinning at 18,000 rpms will take it of in just a few seconds. :eek:

mudhead
03-22-2008, 18:54
Just use a wood sander, that disk spinning at 18,000 rpms will take it of in just a few seconds. :eek:

I have a quarter sheet random orbital that I have thought about a few times.

Then I remember that I am not supposed to be an idiot anymore, now that I am all growed up.

But I do think about it!

Old Hillwalker
03-22-2008, 19:04
Hey Blister, Funny you should post this right now, I have been in the process of sanding my big toes down over the last few days. And one huge callous undrer the ball of my left foot.

I went down to the cellar and got a small piece of the black, open grit sandpaper used for sanding sheet rock. Just go slowly and put a dark towel under your foot to judge how much is coming off. After each session grease the area real well and put a sock on.

A closed grit sandpaper will clog right up and stop working.

Blister
03-29-2008, 14:48
Tooo funny 18000 rpms! Definatley not a blister under the callous, trust me I have had them, ask anyone who has hiked with me. I have sanded it down, still having shooting pain. Spoke with a Doctor hiker of mine and he thinks there is a nerve issue to be addressed. I am going to a orthopedic clinic next week to have it checked out. I'll let ya'll know. Peace Out

mudhead
03-29-2008, 18:47
Good luck with it!