PDA

View Full Version : Prices/Safety

erawka
03-21-2008, 18:22
Hi everyone,

I'm a new member and hope this isn't a repeat post. A group of four other women and myself are thinking of doing a two-to-three-day hike on the trail and staying at huts overnight. I was wondering if any of you have experience staying at these huts. What do you think is a fair price? Is it worth the additional security or is there additional security? There are some lean-to's in the area, do you think that lean-to's are the better option?

I'm looking for opinions, but if any of you have numbers, for example, what you think a fair price would be or where I can find a cheap hut (in the Northeast) it would be awesome. Thanks!

warraghiyagey
03-21-2008, 18:28
On the AT the hut system is only found in the Presidential Range (Whites). It's roughly 80$ per night.The kicker would be getting in and out. You'd have to hike to them through some of the AT's heaviest climbing trail.
The lean-to's are found outside this area, north and south, where you can be more choosyabout the terrain you wish to hike.
Safety?? Overall it's a wash. It's safer on the trail than in your hometown for sure.
Have a great hike with your friends!

And :welcome:welcome

shelterbuilder
03-21-2008, 18:38
erawka,
Just remember that there's safety in numbers - a group of five sounds like it's fairly safe to me. Safety on the trail is largely a matter of using common sense, not putting yourself in questionable circumstances, and listening to that nagging little voice inside your head that's trying to tell you that "something" just isn't right.

Can't offer any advice about hut fees - haven't gotten that far north yet! But the shelters (everywhere) on the AT are "first come, first served" and "there's always room for one more" - especially in bad weather!

Good luck, and :welcome .

kizzybean
03-27-2008, 23:02
Erawka,

I'm a new section hiker having just started my journey last year. I did get in over 300 miles of hiking and only had my son along for one trip. The rest I did alone for sections of 3-4 days and day hikes. I had my dog along for company and security although we know that isn't going to stop someone that's determined. But neither do locked doors and a house. I meet several women thru hikers who were alone on the trail and had had no problems. They were in Maine at the time nobo so felt they'd experienced most of the trail by then. I would encourage you to pick a section you and your friends would like to hike but don't let the concern of a "hut" determine where you go. The trail community is great. You'll have comfort and safety with your numbers that you could have any where else. I carry a tent which leaves me the option of camping away from situation that doesn't "feel right", but that hasn't happened to me yet. Everyone was wonderful on the trail and kept an eye out for me knowing I was a woman alone. I think your biggest safety is 5 women getting along for 4 days ---- just kidding you.

The hut fees for the Whites is around $80 per night and there is limited space if you're going weekends or prime time. Some tenting sites in NE along the AT require a nominal fee for use.

A good 3 - 4 day hike in Maine that will give you some backwoods and mountain hiking is the section from Rangeley to Stratton. I found it challenging, quiet (but not alone), and a good taste of the NE section of AT. No where near as busy as the White mts can be. If you're driving from MA you can leave a car parked at the AT parking area in Stratton and drive around with a second car to the parking area in Rangley, hike towards your other car. It's about 1 - 1.5 hr drive around from one parking to the other. Both parking areas have ample parking off the road and I haven't heard of any vandalism issues. There are lots of hiking options so don't narrow your plans by a hut requirement, I personnally don't think it matters that much. You're greatest threat is the drive there.

Kizzybean (aka - Pokey section hiker)